ECT Ask RC Sproul Show Video

Cross Reference

What/Who other than Sproul & co. who believe it is, makes you think God's grace, free?

Know this from the word of God: All God's gifts are in promise form. God says, "If you do this, I will do that. If you do that I will do this. From the beginning has this be so.

". . . . I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, . . . I regarded them not, saith the Lord." Hebrews 8:9 (KJV)

Only until sin is condemned in me, by me, can God have His way by my obedience.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes, there is so much there. TONS of Meat!!
I think it would be kinda fun to do this with some others..those lessons in connect. I am going to ask some of the women from church.

This is one of the good features of the Ligonier Connect courses. You can set up a private study group for any course. See more at https://connect.ligonier.org/ Scroll down to the "Grow Within Community" section and select the "PRIVATE" button.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Kind words.

I have the Logos edition of most of Tabletalk and have subscribed for many years. I also give away many of his DVDs and particular books (Holiness of God, especially) yearly.

One resource highly recommended is Ligonier Connect: https://connect.ligonier.org/

For a paltry $9 a month you get access to a seminary's worth of courses: https://connect.ligonier.org/school/catalog/

The course handouts alone are worth the small monthly fee.

AMR
A good deal for the fast learner:

http://www.ligonier.org/blog/have-you-tried-ligonier-connect-get-30-day-free-trial/

nikolai_42

". . . . I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, . . . I regarded them not, saith the Lord." Hebrews 8:9 (KJV)

Only until sin is condemned in me, by me, can God have His way by my obedience.

Missed this when it was first posted...can't see it squaring with Paul:

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Romans 8:2-3

If we are to condemn sin, then whence Christ's condemnation of it?

Right Divider

Body part
If we delight in the Word of God, we cannot help but be full of joy in God's redemptive plan for the totally unable sinner, including God's unconditional choices of particular persons given to and for redemption by our Lord Jesus Christ; a redeemed whose eyes and hearts were overwhelmingly opened by the grace of the Holy Spirit such that they will continue in the faith to their final glory.

I am very pleased that it is God who is doing the choosing, for we are not fit to be our own choosers, in that when we get our own will, it has been our ruin (Psalm 78:29); and the best of the saints getting the reins of their destinies in their own hands, have set all on fire.

AMR
Do you believe that God created some people for the explicit purpose of condemning them to hell?

Christian Liberty

The thing is, I do not believe he does misuse the Scriptures...except when it comes to paedobaptism :think:

So, you are not doctrinally aligned with him. Move on.

I'm a Reformed Baptist myself, but I do get where they get paedobaptism from. I don't think most Baptists give the Presby view enough credit.

Cross Reference

Here is the most recent video of Ask RC Sproul live:

http://www.ligonier.org/learn/conferences/ligonier_webcast_archive/ask-rc-live-july-2014/

Some good questions here:

In 1 Samuel 28, was Saul talking to the real Samuel or a demon impersonating Samuel? (03:10)

Should the atmosphere of a church be towards the Christian, or the non-Christian? (04:30)

What does “By His stripes we are healed” from Isaiah 53 mean for Christians today? Does it imply physical healing in the atonement? (05:15)

Since your conversion, what are one or two of the most memorable or significant spiritual experiences in your life? (08:45)

Who are your heroes of the faith? (10:23)

If Dr. Sproul were to nail a modern 95 Theses to the Wittenberg door today, what might be his top two to three issues for the church to address? (12:35)

How can we defend the doctrine of sola Scriptura using Scripture? (15:53)

How does the fact that all people know God, based on Romans 1:18, affect our defense of Christianity? (23:46)

In 2 Samuel 6 when King David got the ark back from Obed-edom he then put on an ephod and offered a sacrifice to God. Since he was not a priest, how was that acceptable to God? (29:51)

Does the casting of lots to make decisions still have a place today? (31:30)

Is there any evidence of Adam and Eve’s repentance and faith in Christ after the fall? (34:35)

Do you believe we’re living in the end times that we read about in the book of Revelation? (36:47) {I liked this as I am in agreement with RC on the dating of the book of the Apocalypse}

Dr. Sproul, you hold to what’s called a “partial preterist” view of eschatology, is that correct? (41:19)

How does “For many are called but few are chosen” (Matt. 22:14) fit in with unconditional election and irresistible grace? Is the definition of “called” different there then its use in Romans 8:30, “…those whom he called he also justified”? (46:43)

Do you agree with the phrase, “All Scripture is equally inspired, but not all Scripture is equally applicable.” (49:55)

How should the church react to its members who sanction homosexual marriage? (51:44)

Dr. Sproul, could you comment on the significance of ordinary means in our lives, particularly in light of the view that some people espouse that we just need to sit back and wait upon the Lord to do everything for us? (54:14)

Is there a biblical church history that we can follow back to the establishing of the church that does not have ties to Roman Catholicism? (63:45)

Why did Dr. Sproul write a children’s book on Martin Luther, and is he going to write any more? (66:46)

What is the Reformed view of vocation, and have you ever written a book on that? (68: 03)

To what was Jesus referring to when He said in John 3:5, “…unless one is born of water…”? (70:20)

How many days was Jesus in the grave, two or three? (71:24)

Is there any remnant of the image of God left in man? How does this relate to total depravity? (71:59)

Dr. Sproul, what is driving you in your ministry today? Why is the gospel, the holiness of God, and this ministry so important today? (74:10)

AMR

I watched this and was impressed by some of his answers. I wish I could say all of them. I would like to give my understanding as to why I believe he is sorely wrong about a few of them. Is this permissible with you?

Cross Reference

I
f we delight in the Word of God, we cannot help but be full of joy in God's redemptive plan for the totally unable sinner, including God's unconditional choices of particular persons given to and for redemption by our Lord Jesus Christ; a redeemed whose eyes and hearts were overwhelmingly opened by the grace of the Holy Spirit such that they will continue in the faith to their final glory.

The implications here is "I delight" in the "Living Word" connoting a relationship__ not found in any written word which only pointed to such a future relationship by Jesus Christ. "Jesus answered him, “Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things?" John 3:10 (ESV)

Cross Reference

Missed this when it was first posted...can't see it squaring with Paul:

For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:

Romans 8:2-3

If we are to condemn sin, then whence Christ's condemnation of it?

It is because He did that we should as well, doncha think?

Do you believe we should continue in sin because He condemned it?

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I watched this and was impressed by some of his answers. I wish I could say all of them. I would like to give my understanding as to why I believe he is sorely wrong about a few of them. Is this permissible with you?
I would prefer not to turn this into a debate, so if you respond there is no guarantee I will offer rejoinders. Perhaps someone else so inclined may do so. The choice is yours, and I genuinely appreciate your asking.

AMR

Cross Reference

I would prefer not to turn this into a debate, so if you respond there is no guarantee I will offer rejoinders. Perhaps someone else so inclined may do so. The choice is yours, and I genuinely appreciate your asking.

AMR
Thank you for your kind reply. However, why not debate if something can be learned? There are legitimate reasons for doing so unless you would have us worship those you wish us to listen to. Paul's way would certainly include debate and he would be ready with answers to questions without equivocation.

Ask Mr. Religion

Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for your kind reply. However, why not debate if something can be learned? There are legitimate reasons for doing so unless you would have us worship those you wish us to listen to. Paul's way would certainly include debate and he would be ready with answers to questions without equivocation.
I am not opposed to discussion, even strident discussion. My concern is more personal related to my stewardship of my free time given some personal matters around the homefront. It has always been my habit to be thorough (for some that means I will be "verbose") in my extended discussions, which requires a significant amount of time, study, and preparation. These days I am quite limited in the time I have for such things.

I am not implying one should take it or leave it, only, as I have stated, that I cannot obligate myself to respond to what you or anyone else may have to offer. Feel free to do as you are so inclined and we will see how things play out.

AMR

Last edited:

nikolai_42

It is because He did that we should as well, doncha think?

Do you believe we should continue in sin because He condemned it?

That's the Law talking.

Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
Romans 7:13

The Law brings condemnation. Not your agreement with it. God is not waiting for us to agree with it - it condemns with or without our agreement.

For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.

Romans 7:14-15

Paul doesn't talk about not continuing in sin by his condemnation of it, rather he is speaking of the futility of wanting to do what is right on his own but not being able to do it. And where is the deliverance?

O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Romans 7:24-25

He admits to his own futility. So our condemning sin is not scriptural - it's the Law that does that. Our rejection of that which is sinful is not our work, but Christ's. The world is already condemned - they don't need to do it to themselves, and they can't deliver themselves.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Very disappointed in his response to that question, he completely neglected the Truth of it, which is, spiritual healing is meant thereby, the total salvation and conversion to all for whom He died. Its NT counterpart is found in 1 Pet 2:24-25

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

The word healed iaomai means:

I.
to cure, heal

II.
to make whole
A.
to free from errors and sins, to bring about (one's) salvation or conversion

Because by His stripes all sins have been remitted/forgiven, Spiritually Healing takes place restoring to fellowship and communion with God !

Another NT counterpart is in Matthew.8. and a direct reference which refutes your clever translation.

vs16.
When even was come they brought many to Him that were possessed by devils and He cast out the spirits with His word, and healed all that were sick.
vs17
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet saying "Himself took our infirmities and bare our sicknesses."

The just shall live by faith was in the bible for 1400 years before Luther got light, but people just skated over it or found a way os explaining that it didn't mean what it said it meant.

beloved57

Another NT counterpart is in Matthew.8. and a direct reference which refutes your clever translation.

vs16.
When even was come they brought many to Him that were possessed by devils and He cast out the spirits with His word, and healed all that were sick.
vs17
That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Isaiah the prophet saying "Himself took our infirmities and bare our sicknesses."

As stated, a disappointing response it totally neglects the spiritual !