Really Good Beer

bybee

Just poured myself a rather meaty beer. A Konrad's Stout from Lervig brewers reserve series. It is a Russian Imperial Stout. It clocks in at 10,4%, so better take it slow :eek:

Nice powdered dark chocolate (like the start of a chocolate truffle), espresso and a nice roasted almost leathery aftertaste. Surprisingly fizzy for a stout, some alcohol on the taste, but not much, especially considering the strength of this beer.

Leave time for a nap!

Adam

Hall of Fame
Aw0tPPa.jpg

Selaphiel

Just poured myself a Hoegaarden wit blanche. It is, as the name implies, a wheat beer from Belgium. Cloud yellow/orange beer with a good amount of carbonation. Extremely refreshing and light, perfect for a warm summer evening.

Doormat

I've moved away from the from the Belgium wheat, but I'd try some of that if I could.

Still mostly drink Fat Tire.

Lately, I've been drinking Total Domination IPA.

The hops in IPA remind me of grapefruit juice, that bitter fruitiness.

Selaphiel

I quite enjoy IPA as well. They are also fantastic in the summer, those tropical aromas with the nice grapefruit bitterness can be quite refreshing. Why did you move away from the wheat beers? I love them in the summer.

Doormat

I quite enjoy IPA as well. They are also fantastic in the summer, those tropical aromas with the nice grapefruit bitterness can be quite refreshing. Why did you move away from the wheat beers? I love them in the summer.

For some reason the taste doesn't appeal to me any more. I'm not sure why. The last time I opened a Blue Moon, I felt the taste made me nauseous. There was a time that was my favorite beer. Maybe it's just the corriander/orange combination of that particular variety. :idunno: Next time I get beer, I'll try another brand of wheat beer and see if I enjoy the taste. It's been a while.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
One of my friends just went to New Zealand and got a bottle of beer for me from the Green Dragon from Hobbiton. :D The Southfarthing Sackville Cider. Haven't drank it yet.

Right now I'm drinking a Nooner Session IPA by Sierra Nevada. :cheers:

GuySmiley

If I had any motivation at all I would make more Bitter Amber. It had just the right amount of hops and the aftertaste was very smooth.
I just read a book, "Brewing Better Beer" by Gordon Strong who suggested all late addition hops (last 20 minutes of the boil) for someone like me who doesn't like the bitterness in the aftertaste.

He also suggested first wort hopping instead of adding any at 60 minutes or greater which preserves the bitterness some people like, but apparently gives a smoother finish.

I look forward to experimenting with both those ideas.

Doormat

Sounds like a good book. I'll have to pick up a copy.

The last time I brewed was a few years ago and I made a faux Blue Moon.

GuySmiley

my son brews his own
that is a lot of work
my rules are:
drink local
drink draft
drink ale
drink amber
try anything once
Good rules. I think homebrewing is like cooking. Not everyone who likes food likes to cook. Not everyone who likes fine beer will like to brew. But if you are the type who likes cooking, and you like beer, you will probably like brewing.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Good rules. I think homebrewing is like cooking. Not everyone who likes food likes to cook. Not everyone who likes fine beer will like to brew. But if you are the type who likes cooking, and you like beer, you will probably like brewing.

I like beer
I like to cook
but
I like to avoid work where ever possible

Selaphiel

Drinking a Hitachino Nest White Ale. It is a Belgium style wheat beer brewed with orange peel and coriander from Japan. Bit more spice compared to the Hoegaarden, but it is also quite sweet.

Selaphiel

All too quiet here :noid:

Having a lovely Swedish made imperial stout tonight, paired with some dark chocolate pudding with vanilla sauce.
Beer is quite sweet with the characteristic dark chocolate taste (reminds me of the powdered chocolate on chocolate truffles), some coffee notes. A peppery finish with some hints of liquorice. No alcohol on the taste at all.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
In order:

Community Mosaic
Stone Ruination IPA
Green Flash West Coast
Lagunitas Lil Sumpin
Stone Go To(Session beer)
Six Point Resin
Stone IPA
Community Mosaic
Community Mosaic
aaaannnnnddd Community Mosaic

Buzzword

Partially because I'm apparently really picky about not tasting the alcohol, but mostly because the hops taste apparently doesn't appeal to me, especially since I've tried hardcore German homebrewed lager and still didn't enjoy it.

I've heard Fat Tire is pretty good, but Oklahoma's idiotic no-refrigeration-in-liquor-stores law kinda limits the selection once you get above Wal-Mart alcohol content.

Just to update, Fat Tire is awesome.

Also found a hardcore German homebrewed wheat beer in Oklahoma City that pretty much made my life.

Royal Bavaria's "King's Weizen".

From their website:
"Royal Bavaria’s Weizen or 'Wheat' beer has a very characteristic flavor that is produced by the interplay between the Weissbier ale yeasts and the trace elements from the large portion of wheat in the brew’s grain bill. This flavor is variably described as clove-like,banana-like, phenolic, sour, spicy, or even bubblegum-like. "

Totally lives up the hype, and like all good homebrews it leaves you feeling delightfully full afterward.

Also tried the Blue Moon seasonal Mountain Abbey Ale.
I enjoyed it, but it seemed more like the kind of beer you'd drink by itself rather than with a meal. The caramel and toffee flavors are very pronounced and haven't really blended with anything I've tried with the beer, in contrast to the usual Blue Moon flavors that tend to go well with everything.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Community Mosaic
Community Mosaic
aaaannnnnddd Community Mosaic

I was in Dallas/Ft. Worth this past April. There was a restaurant near my hotel that had Deep Ellum IPA on draft. It was pretty good.

Have you ever had Deep Ellum IPA?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Anybody know if really good beer is sold in bottles larger than 12 oz. anywhere?

Yes, most really good beer is sold in "big bottles".

These "big bottles" are usually a brewery's finer beers compared to what they offer in 12oz bottles.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Bass Ale
Grolsch
Heineken
Pilsner Urquell
Warsteiner Premium Verum
Guinness
No special order. I used to like Guinness with John Courage, later Guinness with Bass Ale.
I good beer down here is Yuengling. I have not had a beer on many years due to health.
I miss red wine with dinner.