Why men should not discuss rape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

elohiym

Town has me on ignore so naturally he wants to discuss what I said because that way he can ... well you know .... ignore any response I make.

I understand, but I'm still waiting for a response from you.
Are you serious?
I'm a man but don't think like you claimed men think.

Brother Vinny

You know, based on Eeset's points (specifically #2), men who have raped have a more valid place at the table of this discussion than those who haven't.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
You know, based on Eeset's points (specifically #2), men who have raped have a more valid place at the table of this discussion than those who haven't.
And you don't understand why? Let me simplify it for you. A person who has experienced rape automatically understands a few things about it that those with no such experience can not grasp. The same applies to a rapist. That is not to say there is anything good about a rapist but rather to simply point out that their understanding is experiential rather than theoretical.

Brother Vinny

And you don't understand why? Let me simplify it for you. A person who has experienced rape automatically understands a few things about it that those with no such experience can not grasp. The same applies to a rapist. That is not to say there is anything good about a rapist but rather to simply point out that their understanding is experiential rather than theoretical.

The reasoning is asinine. "I can't get pregnant, so I have no voice in the abortion issue." As stated, it's a steaming crock and you should be ashamed of making the argument. Everyone has a voice in society as to the kind of society they wish to be/become. I don't want the voices of only the rapists and their victims to be the only ones who determine the sort of world I live in.

Brother Vinny

:think:

be kinda one sided, wouldn't it?

thatsthejoke.jpg

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

While I do not mind discussing this issue with men who are capable of empathy (many are), there is nothing of value a rapist could add to such a discussion. I don't care to listen to the claims of the person who does the deed or what reasons they would use to justify it.

I mean let's face it, no one really understands what something would be like unless they have been through it firsthand. However, their support can make a huge difference.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
The reasoning is asinine. "I can't get pregnant, so I have no voice in the abortion issue." As stated, it's a steaming crock and you should be ashamed of making the argument. Everyone has a voice in society as to the kind of society they wish to be/become. I don't want the voices of only the rapists and their victims to be the only ones who determine the sort of world I live in.
You are going off on a tangent. You are trying to infer things that are just not in what I said. This thread was not started to determine the sort of world that you will live in.

Brother Vinny

You are going off on a tangent. You are trying to infer things that are just not in what I said. This thread was not started to determine the sort of world that you will live in.

No, it's intended to silence the decent and empower the criminally violent.

Seek help.

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
While I do not mind discussing this issue with men who are capable of empathy (many are), there is nothing of value a rapist could add to such a discussion. I don't care to listen to the claims of the person who does the deed or what reasons they would use to justify it.

I mean let's face it, no one really understands what something would be like unless they have been through it firsthand. However, their support can make a huge difference.
I appreciate what you are saying. I also am not interested in listening to anyone try to justify rape. But I am interested in understanding why it happens. That understanding can not be attained by discussing it with non rapists. At best you might learn what prevented such from raping but no more.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
... Let me simplify it for you. A person who has experienced rape automatically understands a few things about it that those with no such experience can not grasp...

Most woman have never experienced rape. Are they incapable of understanding the feelings of those (women and men) that have?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
But I am interested in understanding why it happens. That understanding can not be attained by discussing it with non rapists...

For some reason I get the feeling that there aren't a lot of rapists on TOL. Perhaps a prison setting might be a better venue to discuss rape in?

Arthur Brain

I tend to agree. Eesets on ignore, but I saw her points reflected and want to address them...

Sad notion. Someone I loved was raped. The damage of that spread out across a number of people, male and female. It was the most helpless, painful sort of feeling, wanting to comfort and being keenly aware that my gender was in some part a bar to that, watching the loneliness of that process of healing...just horrible.

A rapists opinion would be welcomed in any event? God forbid. And you don't have to have been raped to have empathy, compassion or to have been harmed by that particular violation.

That makes me feel really good about having Eeset on ignore. It's a trivial, off handed and horrifically inappropriate one-off or worse, evidence of a profoundly ignorant mindset. Either way, while I felt obliged to set this out I'm glad I won't have to read whatever drivel she might post to answer it.

I started to reply but this covers the inanity of the OP more than ably.

:thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.