toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 20th, 2011 08:39 AM

toldailytopic: Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Without question... Danica Patrick is the most overpaid and underrated race car driver in the history of motorsports.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Currently one of the most overrated and overpaid professional hockey players is Paul Stastny of the Colorado Avalanche.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are some over-rated rugby players in New Zealand. But they don't get paid squat compared to sportsmen in the USA. :D

Granite

Hall of Fame
Derek Jeter's outrageously overpaid. As a mascot, he's charming. As a player he's a so-so shortstop who's a shadow of what he used to be.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Derek Jeter's outrageously overpaid. As a mascot, he's charming. As a player he's a so-so shortstop who's a shadow of what he used to be.
Maybe so, but he has been a really great player in the past so it's hard for me to think of him as overrated. At least he has earned his reputation.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Based on my salary I would HAVE to be underrated. :D
Do you engage in any sports? I'm not over-rated at much. I'm just plain ole' mediocre and everyone knows it. :D

I have my moments, but. :cool:

Uh yeah.

The only race she has ever won was a demonstration race in Japan. Yet pretty much the focus of every Indy Car race is her. :madmad:

Weird. Shouldn't she be off doing something productive instead? What's wrong with her? :)

Granite

Hall of Fame
Maybe so, but he has been a really great player in the past so it's hard for me to think of him as overrated. At least he has earned his reputation.

The money he's making now isn't commensurate to his abilities. As a Red Sox fan it's incredibly difficult for me to say this, but he is not only a class-act as an individual, but he was one of the best at his position for years. (One of the very few Yankees I didn't and don't loathe.) He's just not now, which is why I think the money New York's paying him is ridiculous. It's a lot of dough to keep around a guy for what he's done before--most organizations just aren't that sentimental or sensitive to public opinion.

Alate_One

Uh yeah.

The only race she has ever won was a demonstration race in Japan. Yet pretty much the focus of every Indy Car race is her. :madmad:
Gee, you realize that most race car drivers win relatively few races? She's more interesting than the average driver BECAUSE she's female, and apparently that makes you mad? :rolleyes:

Racecar drivers are paid largely based on their ability to get sponsors. You can either do that through winning races or being interesting. Mind you, winning an Indy car race is only partly skill anyway, if your pit crew or car is in any way flawed you're not going to win.

She placed 3rd in the Indy 500 in 2009, that alone is worth quite a bit of cash. She's finished in the top ten of points standings in the IRL quite frequently, which speaks to consistency in racing which must mean she's reasonably skilled. Winning ain't everything, even in racing. :p

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Even Kiwis can win Indy car races. :idunno:

The only thing New Zealanders are any good at is rugby .. and they get paid squat to do that.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
When I gave up on sports...
  • 1965 gave up midget car racing when USAC mandated roll bars for midget race cars.
  • 1974 gave up stock car racing when dirt track racing at CNS wasn't fun anymore.
  • 1992 gave up NASCAR when Richard Petty retired from driving.
  • 1998 gave the NFL when John Elway retired from playing football, I retired from watching it on TV too.
Who are the most overrated and overpaid athletes of all-time?
I think the current crop of these overrated and overpaid athletes owe the underrated and underpaid athletes from the past some sort of a $$$$ royalty for helping the current crop of these overrated and overpaid get to where they are.

As for overrated, they think they are top dogs, hope they enjoy it while they can.

Overpaid? The owners will pay to win at any cost; as for the athletes, I guess it's get it while you can.​
I'm I sour grapes? No, I found better things to do, and a fuller life to live.

So I don't appear to be a hypocrite, I'm still a Detroit Tigers fan, and have been since 1950 and when the Denver Bears were the Detroit Tigers AAA farm team years ago...GO TIGERS!

Last edited: