toldailytopic: Weinergate. Representative Anthony Weiner is resigning what are your t

Status
Not open for further replies.

some other dude

In New Yawk they must have higher standards.

080311_dailynewscover2_cald.jpg

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Meh I think it's a lot more about getting rid of a prominent democrat than it was about actually cleaning anything up. The guy sent dirty pictures. There wasn't even actual sex involved or money involved. Though he did do the stupidest thing of all which was lie about it. But really there's NO consistency.

Most Republicans didn't call for the ouster of the SC governor that lied about being with his Argentinian mistress! And he's still in office. . . . The media firestorm around that was about half what Weiner's was . . .

There is probably more to this story than we have heard, the Dems see him as a liability and were working the hardest to oust him. There may be more salacious stuff that was going to surface and this is just damage control. Just a thought, I'm still glad any of these dirtbags are publicly shamed, hopefully it strikes fear into them all. :down:

WandererInFog

Most Republicans didn't call for the ouster of the SC governor that lied about being with his Argentinian mistress! And he's still in office. . . . The media firestorm around that was about half what Weiner's was . . .

Um. Republicans in SC did call for his resignation, and he's out of office. It's also not terribly surprising it got less media attention as it was a state issue.

But let's be honest, the real reason this got so much attention has nothing to do with media bias or eevul Republicans being out to get him and distract from other issues. It got attention because it was a dude named Weiner sending out pictures of his crotch, and due to the association that creates it will be with him for the rest of his life. Would other politicians have had to resign as a result of the same thing? Other than John Boehner or Dick Armey probably not, but ultimately Weiner was a casualty of his own indiscretion and America's collective juvenile sense of humor and nothing more sinister than that.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
There is probably more to this story than we have heard, the Dems see him as a liability and were working the hardest to oust him.
He became a liability to The Party, Comrade. Morality and ethics don't apply to Dems. If it did, several of the prominent would be missing.
There may be more salacious stuff that was going to surface and this is just damage control.
I'm pretty sure "salacious" was a lesser consideration than politics.
Just a thought, I'm still glad any of these dirtbags are publicly shamed, hopefully it strikes fear into them all. :down:
It won't, obviously. It will make some of them more cautious, but inspiring fear? Seriously doubt it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
the news has been dominated by lebron, casey, and weiner
and
I was worried about everyone missing what is going on in wisconsin

did you hear that the supreme court upheld the anti-union legislation by a 4-3 vote?

Granite

Hall of Fame
There are plenty of politicians that have done worse than Weiner that are STILL in congress, from both parties. The furor over Weiner was overblown compared to that over other politicians. Anything to distract from the issues at hand.

In Weiner's case it's apparent that he was disliked by his colleagues, so he found zero sympathy on the Hill. He was using his seat as a stepping stone for a mayoral run in NYC and didn't do much work in Congress at all. They saw a chance to run him out on a rail.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
the news has been dominated by lebron, casey, and weiner
and
I was worried about everyone missing what is going on in wisconsin

did you hear that the supreme court upheld the anti-union legislation by a 4-3 vote?
The STATE Supreme Court, as split as it could be, held that the legislative process had been conducted appropriately in relation to a fairly technical issue... :chuckle: You should think of writing copy for Sean Hannity though.

Here's an MPR report on that narrow holding:

In a blistering dissent, Supreme Court Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson wrote that the majority decision was "hastily" reached and has unsupported conclusions. She said a concurring opinion written by Justice David Prosser, a former Republican speaker of the Assembly, was "long on rhetoric and long on story-telling that appears to have a partisan slant."

Abrahamson said the majority "set forth their own version of facts without evidence. They should not engage in this disinformation."​

faramir77

Greater Context.

Clinton destroyed the dignity of the office.
Barry Sorotro destroyed the validity of the office.
Various and sundry modern-day Roman Senators like this dink, destroy faith in govrnmnt engendering distain, disgust and distrust to the end that,
when World Governance is proposed, sheeple will beg for it gladly.

Deranged degenerates without the basic common sence God granted a horse.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Greater Context.
Interesting that you would say that.

Clinton destroyed the dignity of the office.
You mean Nixon, with his sponsoring of illegal activity. Or Kennedy, who preceded an amateurish extramarital activity on Clinton's part with his own practice...Or Grant and the absurd corruption that riddled his administration...or...but you should have the point. :eek:

Barry Sorotro destroyed the validity of the office.
An unfortunate lack of respect for the office aside, how so?

El DLo

Frankly, I find the fact that he was forced to resign, and yes, he was essentially forced, is absurd.

Yes, he messed up. Yes, he lied about it (which I believe should be the bigger issue). The problem is, people focus on the fact that he messed up more than the fact that he lied.

What he did wasn't a crime. What he did may not even count as cheating depending on who you ask.

Should he have lied? No, of course not. But frankly, what he did is a matter that strictly should be between him and his wife. It doesn't affect his politics, nor his effectiveness.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Frankly, I find the fact that he was forced to resign, and yes, he was essentially forced, is absurd.
How was he forced again?

Yes, he messed up. Yes, he lied about it (which I believe should be the bigger issue). The problem is, people focus on the fact that he messed up more than the fact that he lied.
Where I think its of a piece and people are more uniformly disturbed and disgusted.

What he did wasn't a crime. What he did may not even count as cheating depending on who you ask.
By which you mean people with poor vocabularies or worse morals? :eek:

Should he have lied? No, of course not. But frankly, what he did is a matter that strictly should be between him and his wife. It doesn't affect his politics, nor his effectiveness.
He broke faith with the people who elected him and he understands that. If the only standard we're held to is a violation of law then our society is operating in safe mode with a crash pending.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

:plain: Democrats disagree with you.

Originally Posted by NY Times
"Democratic leaders had prepared to hold a meeting on Thursday to determine whether they should strip Mr. Weiner of his committee assignments, which would have severely impaired his effectiveness."

GuySmiley

It would be interesting to compare quotes from people defending Clinton vs. roasting Wiener (pun intended). If only I had the energy :)

rexlunae

I honestly think the whole reaction was more of a problem than the original incident. Sure, he shouldn't have lied about it, but I can kinda understand why he would.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I honestly think the whole reaction was more of a problem than the original incident. Sure, he shouldn't have lied about it, but I can kinda understand why he would.

Seemed incredibly foolish to make this mistake in the first place, but he must've known sooner or later the full truth would out even as he made the rounds on TV.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
It would be interesting to compare quotes from people defending Clinton vs. roasting Wiener (pun intended).

The polls back then showed that people were generally supportive of Clinton's work as president, but deplored his lack of zipper control.

Which is why the impeachment failed. Too many republicans refused to follow the party line, because they were afraid of the voters. Also, Clinton was a generally likeable person, who had a lot of friends, even among the republicans.

Apparently, Weiner didn't even have many friends in his own party.

If only I had the energy

There's a lot of history you can find, even if you just google.

rexlunae

Seemed incredibly foolish to make this mistake in the first place, but he must've known sooner or later the full truth would out even as he made the rounds on TV.

I agree it was foolish. But it seems like such a silly reason to run him out of town on a rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.