Redskins

Truster

The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?

If they are forced to change the name they must go with 'Whiteskins''.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
Either that or I don't have a dirty word in mind. Excuse me.

You're a 'sheeple' bro. The epitome of a false follower; an ultra liberal. ~One does not simply see almighty God~ *so let's be agnostic as ~hell~ and deny everything, and therefore have absolutely no standing at all* ~but pretend otherwise~

Granite

Hall of Fame
You're a 'sheeple' bro. The epitome of a false follower; an ultra liberal. ~One does not simply see almighty God~ *so let's be agnostic as ~hell~ and deny everything, and therefore have absolutely no standing at all* ~but pretend otherwise~

What the hell are you talking about, dope? Seriously, you're a complete idiot. Go get yourself a bib.:loser:

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The United States Patent & Trademark office cancelled the Washington Redskins trademark registration today. It ruled that the NFL team's name is "disparaging to Native Americans."

Thoughts, opinions?

They are morons, leftwing morons.

The last time they were polled, 90% of native Americans said they have no problem with the word. So who is being offended, besides that senile fart Harry Reid?

Quincy

Both of my grandmothers were Cherokee, I can't speak for them but it doesn't bother me. It cracks me up. I hope they keep the name as a monument to the racist ignorance of some people. I always enjoy when people show their true colors and it's nice to know that sometimes members of the rich can be complete rubes, even more so than the less fortunate.

I bet that makes you think about why some people want so badly to eliminate these kind of things in society.... Someone's got a lot of shame.

rainee

Please please.

The Dallas Cowboys are a bunch of rough playing football players.
Many of them have been Black Men.

No One that I know of ever thinks of Wild Bill Hickok or Buffalo Bill Cody when people say Dallas Cowboys.

No one says, that I know of, that black men were not normally cowboys in the wild west.

The Dallas Cowboys took the rough tough picture of what might have been needed to be a cowboy and idealized it into their team.

If you want to be offended - be offended with little children who played Cowboy and Indians.

But Washington Redskins took a complimentary ideal from the past as an image and made it their own.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
I did. And come to think if it, he called himself a red man.

worked with a fellow at the hospital years ago - he was from the rez - Akwesasne, up in nny - typical big dumb quiet injun

but.... when you got him talking you realized he was smart as a whip

we used to joke around all the time - he'd call me paleface (or mock me when i showed up sunburnt) and i'd call him redskin

i wonder what he'd think of all this nonsense :idunno:

I bet that makes you think about why some people want so badly to eliminate these kind of things in society.... Someone's got a lot of shame.

:think:

I sympathize with people who have reason blablablablablablablablabla

of course you do town, just like you sympathize with all those poor poor oppressed perverted homosexuals ("some of the nicest people you could know!") who are being denied their "civil rights"

it's a natural artifact of the guilt you hold from your southern heritage

born too late to have a hand in the civil rights movements of the sixties, you are eager to jump on any bandwagon you can find

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Both of my grandmothers were Cherokee, I can't speak for them but it doesn't bother me. It cracks me up. I hope they keep the name as a monument to the racist ignorance of some people. I always enjoy when people show their true colors and it's nice to know that sometimes members of the rich can be complete rubes, even more so than the less fortunate.

And there's that ^^^^^^

Granite

Hall of Fame
Please please.

The Dallas Cowboys are a bunch of rough playing football players.
Many of them have been Black Men.

No One that I know of ever thinks of Wild Bill Hickok or Buffalo Bill Cody when people say Dallas Cowboys.

No one says, that I know of, that black men were not normally cowboys in the wild west.

The Dallas Cowboys took the rough tough picture of what might have been needed to be a cowboy and idealized it into their team.

If you want to be offended - be offended with little children who played Cowboy and Indians.

But Washington Redskins took a complimentary ideal from the past as an image and made it their own.

What about a bloody scalp is "complimentary"?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
They are morons, leftwing morons.
The Native Americans or the people whose opinion really doesn't matter except as commentary?

The last time they were polled, 90% of native Americans said they have no problem with the word.
Which was actually up from the poll that preceded it by a decade. So that's ten percent of the population represented finding agreement with Websters and asking for its removal.

So who is being offended, besides that senile fart Harry Reid?
Ten percent of the people actually being represented. And there's no real defense for that, which is why so many people make the issue about something else, like you only just did.

99lamb

let's see to what extent the outrage over the use of Indian imagery on sports related logos, lasts.
I see this as a power play, go after those agencies that have deep pockets (pro sports, college sports), sue (not Sioux) for a share of the profits.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
let's see to what extent the outrage over the use of Indian imagery on sports related logos, lasts.
I see this as a power play, go after those agencies that have deep pockets (pro sports, college sports), sue (not Sioux) for a share of the profits.
And so it continues...it's about liberals, or freedom or money. Anything but a large and growing part of the population simply objecting to a historically negative stereotype. :plain:

Granite

Hall of Fame
And so it continues...it's about liberals, or freedom or money. Anything but a large and growing part of the population simply objecting to a historically negative stereotype. :plain:

It's like saying anyone objecting to blackface is a bluenose censor who wants to shut down entertainment everywhere in America.

99lamb

Like I said, let's see how long. And if you don't think there will be concessions to use the images, or names then read the article
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/24/s...da-state-has-harmony.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

There will be restrictions on use, there might be Tribe input to ensure a more accurate representation and there will also be compensation for that use.
Let's see.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Spoiler
1-the-jazz-singer-al-jolson-1927-everett.jpg

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Like I said, let's see how long.
I wouldn't be surprised to see legal action at some point. But launching and winning are two different things and so is the objection and any future attempt to do that and the current consideration.

And I think it's funny to suggest that the namer and users of the word have the best intentions and then to suggest anyone opposing them must not.

There will be restrictions on use, there might be Tribe input to ensure a more accurate representation and there will also be compensation for that use.
Let's see.
I don't see compensation in anyone's future except the Washington team owner who, if he plays this smartly, will make a boatload of money in new team item sales.