The Gospel Of Thomas

JosephR

YEs Levolor. you have great insight and thoughts to add, the Kingdom of God is surely at hand.. If I am taken away from here.. the site, not life,but life too,,please continue, and teach the children.

Levolor

YEs Levolor. you have great insight and thoughts to add, the Kingdom of God is surely at hand.. If I am taken away from here.. the site, not life,but life too,,please continue, and teach the children.

Praise God. :)

I do hope you do not leave. If you ever need to talk... I'll send you my email. But as long as you are here at this site, you can always PM me.

Pray for me.

God Bless you, Joseph.

lifeisgood

There is not a thing in the world wrong with doing good at any time!

Nobody can do an altruistic act . Only God is good, but what is the harm in trying? again, I mean anytime.

There is nothing wrong with doing good at any time. God says that He has prepared good works for His children to do (Ephesians 2:10). But those good works will only be done by His children. We must first be His and then the works are to come.

I do not want to derail your thread.

JosephR

There is nothing wrong with doing good at any time. God says that He has prepared good works for His children to do (Ephesians 2:10). But those good works will only be done by His children. We must first be His and then the works are to come.

all are sons and all are tools of God, non do woks of the Father that He did not set,

for there is no LIFE aside from God

meshak

BANNED
Banned
I have been reading it. I don't understand why GOT was not canonized.

It sure beats Paul's epistles.

JosephR

I have been reading it. I don't understand why GOT was not canonized.

It sure beats Paul's epistles.

beats Paul's letters? they have NOTHING to do with each other..

please take ur fight else where..we only want to discuss Jesus here..

unknown

The highlighted part is where I disagree. I repeat, Only God is good, no human is capable of an altruistic act. IOW, only God does the "Good" works, not man (any man, saved or not).

You will know this to be true when you actually see it in real life. Nobody involved in such a thing dares to try and take credit for it.

Don't worry about derailing now, this is important and I am not currently involved in other threads. No man can do a "Good" work, he can only desire it. And further, if man has no desire to do it, God will not use him (in a conscious manner). Read about Sampson and see how many times that before it says Sampson did anything it says "the hand of the LORD was upon him (or words to that effect). You will see that repeated throughout the OT. Our attitude should be "Here am I LORD, send me."

meshak

BANNED
Banned
beats Paul's letters? they have NOTHING to do with each other..

please take ur fight else where..we only want to discuss Jesus here..

Yes, it is all about Jesus' word and it did not make it part of NT. And Paul did not talk much about Jesus' teachings.

What is wrong with you?

I am Jesus' follower and I want to know Jesus' word, not Paul's teachings.

Lon

The problem with gnosticism (and why Thomas' supposed quotes are not scripture) is that it starts with man like every other religion on the face of the earth but Christianity/Judaism: Both of these are God reaching to man and not vise-versa. Gnosticism as a way of appreciating literature or other things is noble enough but once you set man's thoughts on par with God's when it is clear they are not in sync with scripture is a fool's folly.

Take them as coming from man and not from God and we can learn about less-than-christian sentiments that the Body of Christ had to address. We can learn what they thought, without the Holy Spirit guiding them, and we can even learn a little of the culture of the time. There is little else they can contribute to your Spiritual life however, other than learning to avoid heresies, inaccuracies, and mistruths.

So, as to intellectual persuits, fine. As to Spiritual contributions? :nono:

Proverbs 14:12; 16:25

A few of you force God to fit your mold rather than being molded by His (not that you can and you certainly aren't relevant or significant to the rest of us). Cults and fringes will ever remain cults and fringes pushing all-too-human agendas.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
GoT is an Egyptian text. Also it doesn't actually teach anything, the reader must make sense of it on his own.

So it is all made up?

If it is actual Jesus' word, it teaches a lot. Actually, most of them harmonize with Jesus' word in the four gospels.

JosephR

The problem with gnosticism (and why Thomas' supposed quotes are not scripture) is that it starts with man like every other religion on the face of the earth but Christianity/Judaism: Both of these are God reaching to man and not vise-versa. Gnosticism as a way of appreciating literature or other things is noble enough but once you set man's thoughts on par with God's when it is clear they are not in sync with scripture is a fool's folly.

Take them as coming from man and not from God and we can learn about less-than-christian sentiments that the Body of Christ had to address. We can learn what they thought, without the Holy Spirit guiding them, and we can even learn a little of the culture of the time. There is little else they can contribute to your Spiritual life however, other than learning to avoid heresies, inaccuracies, and mistruths.

So, as to intellectual persuits, fine. As to Spiritual contributions? :nono:

Proverbs 14:12; 16:25

to me it seems you read a book about Gnosticism..but never the GOT,or you never would have said that..

then you might quote me Timothy where all scripture is of God,and I will remind you ,in the time of Timothy Thomas was scripture,so was Enoch,and many books you dont deem as scripture today.

Lon your a very smart guy and I respect you and your opinion alot but I feel you pulled the trigger on this a little pre maturely.

Lon

to me it seems you read a book about Gnosticism..but never the GOT,or you never would have said that..

then you might quote me Timothy where all scripture is of God,and I will remind you ,in the time of Timothy Thomas was scripture,so was Enoch,and many books you dont deem as scripture today.

Lon your a very smart guy and I respect you and your opinion alot but I feel you pulled the trigger on this a little pre maturely.
:nono: See Here
Well, I dont per-scribe to the notion that men can make one book holy and call another Gnostic.
Men can't. That's the problem with the gnostic writings and others like it. We cannot add them simply because 'we' like them. Every book we have in the canon is authorized by the Apostles and Christ. Every book not in the canon was NOT authorized by either.
The Gospel of Thomas

JosephR

Men can't. That's the problem with the gnostic writings and others like it. We cannot add them simply because 'we' like them. Every book we have in the canon is authorized by the Apostles and Christ. Every book not in the canon was NOT authorized by either.

not one Apostle or Desiple was alive when the canon was made law..or the original 12

this is where we part ways.

You follow the RCC, I will follow the Desiples.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
:nono: See Here

Men canonized the NT.

unknown

So it is all made up?

If it is actual Jesus' word, it teaches a lot. Actually, most of them harmonize with Jesus' word in the four gospels.
I have already told you, if you were not there with Jesus you only have what other people wrote about and not what Jesus actually said. So the question is always, what do you believe about Jesus?

Many of the sayings are found in the NT and I believe the Egyptians believed they actually were the words of Jesus. The words of Jesus were important enough to them at the time to write them down. I have found nothing that I think should be offensive to Christians yet but I do not agree with some of the beliefs of Gnosticism. There are many metaphors used by man to explain The Creator and the creation and they all are stated in a manner acceptable to the audience (mindset) they were intended for. It's been that way since the time of Babel or iow, when the world was divided.