The Gospel Of Thomas

unknown

Who do you think you are to tell someone else how to use their ignore function, Christian?

I see your works. My slogan means do what you are doing. It helps me identify the dodos quickly.

btw Christian, I think it sad how you let meshak ruin your pimped out sig block.

Since you insist on playing Control Freak in my thread I took you off ignore. (the better to quote you with, my dear said the big bad wolf.)

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Who do you think you are to tell someone else how to use their ignore function, Christian?

I see your works. My slogan means do what you are doing. It helps me identify the dodos quickly.

btw Christian, I think it sad how you let meshak ruin your pimped out sig block.

Since you insist on playing Control Freak in my thread I took you off ignore (the better to quote you with, my dear, said the big bad wolf).

You had just told me in this thread i was on ignore till i proved you lied about it. You are hilarious.

unknown

You had just told me in this thread i was on ignore till i proved you lied about it. You are hilarious.
Idiot, I have been telling people for a long time how I use ignore. click the link and see what I said to Tambora and check the date you judgmental old bat .

I see your works, Christian, you may believe them hidden from God but I see your works.

What is it to you if other people want to discuss this text, Christian? Do you really think anybody here doesn't know the early church rejected this text?

You came from the thread that spawned this one with a chip on your shoulder and you are too illiterate to discuss these things intelligently. I see your works, Christian.

JosephR

I am really interested in this topic and I look up too and respect both unknown and Angel... I understand u don see Thomas as scripture and respect that Angel...and many others as well, but we ain't hurtin anyone and I hope this can stay on topic.

Unknown I am going over the new verse but may be late tonight or tommarow till I reply and discuss it.

Pnevma-.. Thanks for reply. I am very interested in Kabbalah as well, and what ever we wish to seek and learn I am sure it will work out, here or elsewhere.. I do hope here tho.. However some here will see it as not christian and attack... And I urge them not too as we all could just watch the Simpsons on tv but we want to exchange ideas and learn and grow :) so I hope this thread and the others we see each other on go well..

Peace and love
joe

Posted from the TOL App!

Last edited:

unknown

I am really interested in this topic and I look up too and respect both unknown and Angel... I understand u don see Thomas as scripture and respect that Angel...and many others as well, but we ain't hurtin anyone and I hope this can stay on topic.

Unknown I am going over the new verse but may be late tonight or tommarow till I reply and discuss it.

Pnuva-- sorry spelling I'm on my phone.. Thanks for reply. I am very interested in Kabbalah as well, and what ever we wish to seek and learn I am sure it will work out, here or elsewhere.. I do hope here tho.. However some here will see it as not christian and attack... And I urge them not too as we all could just watch the Simpsons on tv but we want to exchange ideas and learn and grow :) so I hope this thread and the others we see each other on go well..

Peace and love
joe

Posted from the TOL App!
I put her on ignore when she neg-repped me for proving her wrong long time ago. It's no big deal, in fact it's all good. I don't yet know what good this is but everything is done for a reason. That's the Tao moving things where they need to be.

unknown

Not true, but go ahead and make up fantasies then preach works to me :) I love it.
That's odd, you neg repped me again but the points didn't move ....what's up with that?

Are you actually daring me to pull up that thread? I'm not that interested. I do believe the same thing has happened to others here since it happened to me. WE see your works, Christian.

JosephR

I know nothing about the hermetic tradition, I'll google it later. I have been studying Kabbalah and I got there from studying Judaism and I got there from trying to be a Christian. That all happened in the last 15 years. As a kid (around 7 ) I had an experience that I could not explain. Now I see that I couldn't explain it because I didn't understand it. Never the less I sought out the experience again and the understanding of what had happened; I still do.

I was introduced to the Tao when I was around 15. Not the teachings, The Tao. That was one of those "chance" meetings I always seem to enjoy. I was playing guitar in the park one night all by myself and this guy comes up and we become friends right away. He taught me how to play Stairway to Heaven, all of it, that night. He was an Asian guy about my age in Los Angeles with his parents on a business trip. The next day we got together and he literally showed me what "Tao" is. again, no teachings at all (that I was aware of).

He sat me in a chair and blindfolded me and started asking about what I could see; I saw nothing but the lights normally seen when one closes his eyes tight under a blindfold. Without me knowing what he was doing, he moved the lights in any direction and even changed the color of the light. After a few minutes he said take off your blindfold and look straight up. I did and saw his hands above my head making circles with both hands.

He told me that there is a field of energy that surrounds every thing. He said this is how information is transmitted and received by the human subconsciousness. The field that surrounds us acts as both transmitter and receiver of information to and from this field (The Tao). That is all I know about it except for what I experienced from then on. If we are aware of this we can become sensitized and actually feel it. You may already know what it feels like but not realize what it is. I think that feeling is described elsewhere as intuition.

That is awesome indeed, I wish Icould have met a master or guru early in life,,but as you say the Tao is setting it up how it needs to be.Most of my understanding comes from Toa de ching and Alan Watts lectures.But I do hope to learn more and as Alan Watts says, your either a part of or aware of it or your not,and I do think I am.

This very much adds to my ideals about science and what Tesla said about energy,frequency and vibration.and how we only see like 1 percent of the light and electromagnetic spectrum. I am a huge Tesla,Einstein fan and student.I love quantum mechanix and the study of the substance of the universe from the ground up,,or particle up :)

Going to go over the new verse you posted and try and gets some thoughts going about it now.

JosephR

I see now that I am at my PC the new scriptures added were about reincarnation and I have added just about all I can to that,, I think we are on 3 now. So I will go ahead and post it.

Jesus said, “If those who lead you say to you, 'See, the kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, 'It is in the sea,' then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty”.

I think this one is fairly easy to understand and is correlated in the other canonized gospels so, if anyone would like to say or interpret then feel free.

We covered 4 allready..

Now 5.

Jesus said, “Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you. For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest”.

I think this speaks of the Self and the Observer We all have.And I will wait for unknown to go further and I will think on it more before I add anything else.

Lion IRC

just so you know, I am enjoying this thread. :)

Me too. (The on-topic posts).
I think the GOT is rightly left out of canon but interesting nonetheless.

At church today they read Luke 2:42-49 etc. (...When his parents saw him, they were astonished. His mother said to him, "Son, why have you treated us like this? Your father and I have been anxiously searching for you...."Didn't you know I had to be in my Father's house?")

I'm keenly interested in the infancy narratives because what we have from the synoptic Gospel writers, is quite limited information about Jesus and information which came from much earlier in time relative to that which was written about the time of His ministry.

The gnostics versus the canonical Gospels obviously compete in terms of eye-witness veracity. How does the writer of Luke 2:42 get this account unless he is from among, and closely connected to, Jesus' closest companions/family? And what are we to make of some other 'gospel' which claims to have even more accounts of which the inner circle of Disciples and witnesses were evidently indifferent or unaware?

This Charming Manc

The early church rejected many texts when assembling the bible.

Seeing as the Early church were the people who knew Jesus and the people who knew the people who knew Jesus one would think they are the people to trust on whether a document line sup with what Jesus did and taught.

If Jesus disciple john constructs his gospel to refute the Gnostic philosophy behind the Gospel of Thomas it safe to say it isn't what Jesus taught.

Bishop Eusebius included it among a group of books that he believed to be not only spurious, but "the fictions of heretics

If you wish to study the spurious teaching of men who did not know Jesus, had never met Jesus, and added there own spurious teaching to the messages of Jesus which they gain from others gained from other sources the gospel of thomas is for you.

If you want to know about Jesus or what he taught you really need to ignore it.

Some non canonical tecxs are useful secondary sources, some are damaging spiritual lies, the gospel of Thomas is the 2nd.

I really dont care what you think, we have a truth passed down from Jesus to the disciples, to the apostle sand then to the early church.

That truth has been under attack from last deceivers and charlatans from day 1, the gospel of Thomas was identified as that from the start.

They also called other texts heretical but parts of them were already copied into other texts and are there to this day.

I don't give a hoot about what a church says. That's not what I call free or truth.

lifeisgood

I learn something new every day. I though 'mainstreamer' belonged to meshak.

ROFLSmiley.gif

JosephR

Seeing as the Early church were the people who knew Jesus and the people who knew the people who knew Jesus one would think they are the people to trust on whether a document line sup with what Jesus did and taught.

If Jesus disciple john constructs his gospel to refute the Gnostic philosophy behind the Gospel of Thomas it safe to say it isn't what Jesus taught.

If you wish to study the spurious teaching of men who did not know Jesus, had never met Jesus, and added there own spurious teaching to the messages of Jesus which they gain from others gained from other sources the gospel of thomas is for you.

If you want to know about Jesus or what he taught you really need to ignore it.

Some non canonical tecxs are useful secondary sources, some are damaging spiritual lies, the gospel of Thomas is the 2nd.

I really dont care what you think, we have a truth passed down from Jesus to the disciples, to the apostle sand then to the early church.

That truth has been under attack from last deceivers and charlatans from day 1, the gospel of Thomas was identified as that from the start.

Manc... thanks for you input.. FIRST you say this is JUNK ,,now you say this with your CATHOLIC AUTHORITY...

thanks,, again on your opinion.. can we please discuss without further banter? I dont agree with you at all,, but that besides the point.. I dont agree with your hand fed "first church" line of doctrine you have been feed like the koolaide at Jim Jones camp but I dont disturb you.. please have the same respect.

"EDIT"

Manc... I shouldnt be so harsh.. however I have researched the Canonization of the bible and the so called first church. And they do not line up with the 11 IMO..

I do not trust MEN ,and this is not a study of MEN but the words of Jesus by one of HIS hand picked followers... so please, find something worthy of your negative attention , because all we are doing here is learning ... and exchanging IDEAS about Jesus..
thanks.

This Charming Manc

The answer is a polite no.

I cant sit by and let gnostic junk be pushed and peddled as truth or of value and serve anyone.

I will try not to spam the thread, but time to time I am going to come up and say, this has been consider junk from the start by most people who would know anything about anything.

To let a couple of you of go on about this tripe as if it was valuable useful and said anything positive about Jesus, without answer would be to allow you spread false and misleading information about the gospel without answer or rebuke.

What on earth makes you think that the writer of the gospel of Thomas knew Jesus, had particular insights into Jesus or has anything new and fresh to say about Jesus?

The philosophy behind the book of Thomas is gnostic, one of the reasons Johns gospel was written was to pillory the gnostic christian which was emerging, it is outside the faith and nothing to do with Jesus.

It may be your thread, but his gospel and I have a lot more interested in preserving his gospel than your thread :)

Manc... thanks for you input.. FIRST you say this is JUNK ,,now you say this with your CATHOLIC AUTHORITY...

thanks,, again on your opinion.. can we please discuss without further banter? I dont agree with you at all,, but that besides the point.. I dont agree with your hand fed "first church" line of doctrine you have been feed like the koolaide at Jim Jones camp but I dont disturb you.. please have the same respect.

"EDIT"

Manc... I shouldnt be so harsh.. however I have researched the Canonization of the bible and the so called first church. And they do not line up with the 11 IMO..

I do not trust MEN ,and this is not a study of MEN but the words of Jesus by one of HIS hand picked followers... so please, find something worthy of your negative attention , because all we are doing here is learning ... and exchanging IDEAS about Jesus..
thanks.

This Charming Manc

I repeat why on earth do you think the gospel of thomas is anything to do with one of Jesus disciples?

The early church was sure it wasn't.

Its gospel is different than the gospel of John, and is philosophy is refuted purposefully by john. I take john over this doubtful Thomas any day.

thanks.

Pnevma

Its gospel is different than the gospel of John, and is philosophy is refuted purposefully by john. I take john over this doubtful Thomas any day.

That’s your choice and your right. I take both. Are you saying you can’t tolerate people with a different opinion?

God seemed to want to preserve the Gospel of Thomas or it wouldn’t have been found in codex in 1945.

I don’t think any participants of this thread need your permission to discuss the Gospel of Thomas, especially those who don’t bill themselves as Christian. Or is freedom of speech the problem?

This Charming Manc

I dont have a problem with freedom of speech, they can say what they want I will say what i want.

I have told anyone to shut or get off the thread have I?

Just when people put value on the valueless I will just say my piece :)

It seems like the gnostic corner are the ones who have a problem with people stating an educated opinion on this piece of fiction.

That’s your choice and your right. I take both. Are you saying you can’t tolerate people with a different opinion?

God seemed to want to preserve the Gospel of Thomas or it wouldn’t have been found in codex in 1945.

I don’t think any participants of this thread need your permission to discuss the Gospel of Thomas, especially those who don’t bill themselves as Christian. Or is freedom of speech the problem?

Pnevma

I dont have a problem with freedom of speech, they can say what they want I will say what i want.

I have told anyone to shut or get off the thread have I?

Just when people put value on the valueless I will just say my piece :)

It seems like the gnostic corner are the ones who have a problem with people stating an educated opinion on this piece of fiction.

Oh, ok, so if a book of the Quran was up for discussion, the ‘educated opinion’ would call it ‘the Muslim corner’.
I get it... .:sigh:

unknown

I repeat why on earth do you think the gospel of thomas is anything to do with one of Jesus disciples?

The early church was sure it wasn't.

John was written at a later date (else it would have anything to refute). Are you Trinitarian (rhetorical)? Then you probably quote the verse where doubtful Thomas says to Jesus "My God".

You evidently have not studied the history on the writing of the books of the bible. The information is out there but you won't read it in the Catholic propaganda.