Creation vs. Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

6days

So both Darwin and Gould think that it is small, isolated populations that evolve rapidly into new species. They agree on the mechanism of natural selection.....
And we know that's impossible since natural selection never creates...it only eliminates the weakest. Natural selection can't 'evolve' fish into philosophers.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What specific logic are you using to say that the natural explanation for biodiversity is not a rational one, but if that logic is equally applied, says that a "supernatural" one is a rational one?

I already answered this.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So both Darwin and Gould think that it is small, isolated populations that evolve rapidly into new species. They agree on the mechanism of natural selection, and that species appear quickly in the fossil record. They both agree on the broad timescale of evolution and the fact of common ancestry. They both accept the incomplete nature of the fossil record.

Darwin thought that most evolution happened somewhat gradually within splitting populations, with wide variations in rate, while Gould thought that most evolution happens around speciation, but some doesn't, and that there is plenty of gradualism seen in the higher clade hierarchies, with only speciation being 'punctuated'.

What are you suggesting here? That PE somehow undermines the whole of the neo-Darwinian synthesis?

If you do then you are either dissembling or crazy.

You're dodging the issue with this divergence because you can't answer my point in post #3234.

--Dave

gcthomas

You're dodging the issue with this divergence because you can't answer my point in post #3234.

--Dave

I didn't bother since you were clearly equivocating over the meaning of the word evolution. I am content that mutations happen, but not that individuals, but the point you make is irrelevant since the choice of words doesn't change or challenge the theory. If you want to have private meanings for otherwise understood words that is your lookout, unless you are using that alternative meaning as an important part of your argument.

And you seem to be dodging MY question: do you really think that PE somehow undermines the theory of evolution of which it is a fully paid up member? If you do, then you need to find more than different nuances.

noguru

And we know that's impossible since natural selection never creates...it only eliminates the weakest. Natural selection can't 'evolve' fish into philosophers.

You left out the other component of genetic variation. Together genetic variation and selection pressure seems to create biodiversity. That is what the evidence suggests.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A fact that is also a theory cannot be falsified. --Dave

A fact and a theory are two different things. The evolutionist's response that evolution is a fact and a theory is their equivocation coming to the fore.

gcthomas

A fact and a theory are two different things. The evolutionist's response that evolution is a fact and a theory is their equivocation coming to the fore.

Are you suggesting that a theory cannot in principle be factually accurate, i.e. a fact? It would be very funny if you said yes.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't bother since you were clearly equivocating over the meaning of the word evolution. I am content that mutations happen, but not that individuals, but the point you make is irrelevant since the choice of words doesn't change or challenge the theory. If you want to have private meanings for otherwise understood words that is your lookout, unless you are using that alternative meaning as an important part of your argument.

And you seem to be dodging MY question: do you really think that PE somehow undermines the theory of evolution of which it is a fully paid up member? If you do, then you need to find more than different nuances.

It was you who mistook what I meant by evolution thinking I meant something other than what I described in my last post. The equivocation you accuse me of was created by your own mind--a straw man.

You created that straw man so you wouldn't have to answer my comment about PE, which was not that it undermines ToE, but that it merely gives a paltry excuse for the failure of the fossil record to provide evidence by proposing that evolution occurs in isolation and too rapidly to have left any.

Physical evidence from the fossil record is no longer required, the prediction of gradualism is safe from refutation.

Darwin's uniform gradualism was challenged in his day with discontinuous and rapid saltationism, PE is a rapid (unverifiable) gradualism--an oxymoron for morons.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Place both models side by side and compare your criticism to both. You don't get a "get out of jail" free card just because you want to claim a "supernatural" explanation.

I get a "get out of irrational thinking" card.

--Dave

alwight

Yes, I agree that evolution is no doubt the best natural explanation of life, but it is clearly not a rational one.
Do you really think that you have in any way shown specifically how the ToE is not strictly in accordance with reason and logic? I don't think so btw.

You want a supernatural Biblical explanation of life to be one that is inadmissible.
Yes but I'm quite fair and reasonable about it Dave, I don't think that anyone's untestable claims of a supernatural are in the least bit admissible as science. Which btw also goes for astrology, alchemy, voodoo, black magic and witchcraft.

I say both a natural and a supernatural explanation of life are admissible but only one can be true, and only the supernatural one is rational.

--Dave
Special pleading for one specific supernatural isn't exactly scientific either Dave. Afaic while no supernatural claims can be put to the test or perhaps falsified then I can see no reason for even considering anyone's woo as being more than just worthless bald assertion.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
SO you are only claiming that the theory isn't complete, not that you have any evidence against it?

OK. :crackup:

It isn't quite complete. So, what is your next argument against evolution theory?

The fact is evidence from the fossil record contradicts it.

The fact is evidence from DNA contradicts it.

The fact is the entropy principle of physics contradicts it.

The theory of evolution is one explanation after another that attempts to persuade us that evolution occurs anyway, despite the facts.

--Dave

gcthomas

The fact is evidence from the fossil record contradicts it.

The fact is evidence from DNA contradicts it.

The fact is the entropy principle of physics contradicts it.

The theory of evolution is one explanation after another that attempts to persuade us that evolution occurs anyway, despite the facts.

--Dave

The fossil record is consistent with evolution.

DNA evidence supports evolution, there is sooo much. For one, HERVs. Broken vitamin c genes another. Similarities between the genomes of related species and groups another. Etc.

And Physics contradicts it? And you claim that with what evidence? It is daft, Dave, to put your trust in arguments you don't understand. Have you ever studied Physics beyond high school level?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do you really think that you have in any way shown specifically how the ToE is not strictly in accordance with reason and logic? I don't think so btw.

Yes but I'm quite fair and reasonable about it Dave, I don't think that anyone's untestable claims of a supernatural are in the least bit admissible as science. Which btw also goes for astrology, alchemy, voodoo, black magic and witchcraft.

Special pleading for one specific supernatural isn't exactly scientific either Dave. Afaic while no supernatural claims can be put to the test or perhaps falsified then I can see no reason for even considering anyone's woo as being more than just worthless bald assertion.

You make the mistake of requiring physical evidence for non physical intelligent spirit. You think it black magic to believe in a supernatural intelligent being but have no problem believing that intelligence has evolved from non intelligent physical material.

The Bible accurately informs us of origins that are confirmed in the fossil record as fully formed humans and every living thing created in distinct forms (sudden appearance), with diversity encoded into every cell--DNA.

The Bible also accurately informs us of an ancient global flood confirmed by geology, sudden burial animals, and a massive burial of plant life that produced coal.

Unfortunately for you the Bible also issues a Burn notice.

--Dave

noguru

You make the mistake of requiring physical evidence for non physical intelligent spirit. You think it black magic to believe in a supernatural intelligent being but have no problem believing that intelligence has evolved from non intelligent physical material.

The Bible accurately informs us of origins that are confirmed in the fossil record as fully formed humans and every living thing created in distinct forms (sudden appearance), with diversity encoded into every cell--DNA.

The Bible also accurately informs us of an ancient global flood confirmed by geology, sudden burial animals, and a massive burial of plant life that produced coal.

Unfortunately for you the Bible also issues a Burn notice.

--Dave

So again, we are right back to the beginning of your insane cycle of unsubstantiated claims. And you wonder why competent people just laugh at you for being a charlatan.

I notice your new extra inclusion of threats of "hell" for those who do not agree with you here. And so we have the last desperate rantings of an irrational charlatan.

noguru

I get a "get out of irrational thinking" card.

--Dave

:rotfl:

No, you don't.

You are quite irrational. You keep repeating the same obvious mistakes over, and over and over... again, thinking that is some kind of progress. That is the epitome of irrational.

Status
Not open for further replies.