Prison guards cook prisoner to death

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
People do varying degrees of weird things incarcerated.

Cross dress, become someone's boyfriend, etc. But we won't talk about those weird things.

Throwing one's feces around is not unheard of or is, unfortunately, even that uncommon.

Feces is the cause of a lot of diseases. While you think that it isn't "uncommon" (a fellow con would probably beat his cellmate senseless if he found it on the floor of their cell), correction officers shouldn't have to put up with it.

An angry person in a prison can resort to such antics.

So many of these prison inmates have been angry their entire lives. Abused as children, broken homes, drugs, their dysfunctional childhood is a reflection of their anger that they have in prison.

Prison guards are made aware of these things in their training- they know what they signed up for.
And the same can be said for police officers; they are all without excuse when they do crooked things.

Your are correct, these people are professionals and should be above such things. When they are tried (not by an internet forum, but by a jury of their peers) and convicted, they'll pay the price for their crimes.

This Charming Manc

If that the case be prepared for lifes harshness to fall on your head.

Earned has an element of proportionality both positive and negative, earned also has elements of prior agreement to it.

he earned a response

it was a harsh response :idunno:

life's harsh when you're stupid

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
If that the case be prepared for lifes harshness to fall on your head.

meh :idunno:

it happens

when it does, i suck it up and move on

manc said:
Earned has an element of proportionality both positive and negative, earned also has elements of prior agreement to it.

WoO asked:
WoO said:
If I am hired to work for $20.00/an hour and work for 8 hours, what have I earned?
my response:
me said:
160 bucks. right?

minus a whole buncha deductions

and plus a whole buncha stuff:

sore back
tired muscles
eyestrain
raised blood pressure
etc

and if that job frustrates you to the point that you have a heart attack or a stroke?

guess what?

you earned it

Manc - does WoO's heart attack or stroke have an element of proportionality or prior agreement?

and another illustration:
me said:
i could choose to drink a quart of jack Daniels and drive 140 mph on my way home tonight

chances are good that by choosing to sow recklessness i will reap consequences - they may be a loss of license, a loss of my intact car, a loss of physical integrity, a loss of life (mine or others) or any of a myriad of others

but whatever those consequences are, i will have earned them by my actions

does my quadriplegia have an element of proportionality or prior agreement?

WizardofOz

Manc - does WoO's heart attack or stroke have an element of proportionality or prior agreement?

does my quadriplegia have an element of proportionality or prior agreement?

The heart attack, stroke and/or quadriplegia were caused directly by the individual.

Rainey didn't cook himself to death. The guards did that.

ok doser

The heart attack, stroke and/or quadriplegia were caused directly by the individual.

rather, they were a direct result of choices that the individual made, choices to engage in actions that had unpredictable consequences

Rainey didn't cook himself to death. The guards did that.

the guards did that in response to choices rainey made, choices to engage in actions the consequences of which were unpredictable

WizardofOz

rather, they were a direct result of choices that the individual made, choices to engage in actions that had unpredictable consequences

Direct result...I agree.

the guards did that in response to choices rainey made, choices to engage in actions the consequences of which were unpredictable

Not a direct result. Throwing poo around his jail cell did not directly cause the shower to turn on. There was no scolding shower activated by flying feces.

ok doser

does a soldier deserve to be beheaded by Isis because he joined the military? Did he earn his beheading?

was he engaging in behaviors in which he had a reasonable expectation of being beheaded by Isis?

if not, then no

likewise, if i drive home with my cruise set at 65, sober, and i hit road debris that falls off the semi ahead of me and crash and become quadriplegic, then I don't deserve it, as I haven't earned it by my actions

WizardofOz

was he engaging in behaviors in which he had a reasonable expectation of being beheaded by Isis?

if not, then no

Do prisoners who throw poo in their cell have a reasonable expectation of being cooked to death in a scolding shower?

Nope. Not by a long shot.

ok doser

Do prisoners who throw poo in their cell have a reasonable expectation of being cooked to death in a scolding shower?

apparently, in this jail, the punishment was a common one - so yes, he had a reasonable expectation of being thrown into an uncomfortably hot shower

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
likewise, if i drive home with my cruise set at 65, sober, and i hit road debris that falls off the semi ahead of me and crash and become quadriplegic, then I don't deserve it, as I haven't earned it by my actions
Guess that will teach you that you should have been expecting that it does happen.

elohiym

There you are implying what you deserve should be just, right?

ok doser

There you are implying what you deserve should be just, right?

by one definition of the word deserve, sure

but not the one i was using "to earn by one's actions"

elsewhere I have qualified this with "when those actions were taken in direct disregard of a known risk"

ok doser

to apply:

if i am a prisoner and i know that flinging my poo will get me disciplined, then i have earned that discipline by my choice to engage in that action

1PeaceMaker

The dictionary sometimes has more than one kind of meaning for a word. Deserve is not a word with more than one meaning.