Science, Engineering, & Technology in the News

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
they've got 1000 footers in the upper lakes - that's as big as the soo locks can handle

the welland canal (between erie and ontario, bypassing niagara falls) limits length to 730 feet

they're running fast and furious this month - the seaway closes at the end of the month

The Berean

I bet Oscar Goldman was involved in this new bionic technology!

sixmillion_qjgenth2.jpg

Man Gets First Prosthetic Hand That Can Feel

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I thought this article was notable, I am a propulsion nut and this story got my juices flowing. The most powerful American made rocket engine ever built was the F-1 that powered our Saturn rockets to the moon but, when the program ended the engines were taken out of production. The New SLS program has birthed a revival to remake the F-1 by a company in Huntsville, AL called Dynetics with Pratt & Witney. They mapped old engines from Marshall Space & the Smithsonian and using new technologies such as 3d printing have remade the new version the F-1B which will tout 1.8 million lbs. of thrust to its older counterpart's 1.5 million lbs of thrust. It will be tested in Mojave, CA next year and I couldn't be more excited to see the results. I will let you read the article, there are two videos of the testing of the gas generator that they took off the old engine from the Smithsonian, it looked like it would work so engineeers rebuilt it, making all new softgoods (seals, o-rings, etc.) and ran it on a test stand and WOW! Just the Gas generator puts out more thrust than an F-16 at full afterburner. For those reading who do not understand what a gas generator is, it is basically a smaller engine that turns the turbine for the larger engine, a pony motor if you will. Anyway, I thought you science geeks, especially The Berean would like this.

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013...es-apollo-era-deisgn-with-1-8m-lbs-of-thrust/

20130813-224116.jpg

The Berean

This...is.....freaking...AWESOME rocketman! :banana: :the_wave:

For years I wondered why there never was a push to develop a modern variant of the F-1 rocket engine? I woulde LOVE to see the old blueprints of this historic rocket engine! No doubt it was designed and drawn on vellum with T-squares, pencils, drawing compass, triangles, and french curves. :D

A few years ago some one models the LM and CM in 3D CAD and published a book about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-LM-Pictorial-Engineering-Construction/dp/1894959140

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
This...is.....freaking...AWESOME rocketman! :banana: :the_wave:

For years I wondered why there never was a push to develop a modern variant of the F-1 rocket engine? I woulde LOVE to see the old blueprints of this rocket engine! No doubt it was designed and drawn on vellum with T-squares, pencils, triangles, and french curves. :D

A few years ago some one models the LM and CM in 3D CAD and published a book about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Virtual-LM-Pictorial-Engineering-Construction/dp/1894959140

Read the article, it is amazing what it took to build the original, I think it said it had over 1000 hand welded parts. This 3D printing manufacturing is really revolutionary as is the 3D mapping to redsign it. It is good to see America investing in new propulsion.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Berean if you have not read the book "Apollo" you should. It is not about the astronauts but, about the engineers and the birth of our space program through them. It is a good read, I will say that back then it was all uncharted territory and these engineers were flying by the seat of their pants in many cases but, it took us to the moon and back...several times.

The Berean

Berean if you have not read the book "Apollo" you should. It is not about the astronauts but, about the engineers and the birth of our space program through them. It is a good read, I will say that back then it was all uncharted territory and these engineers were flying by the seat of their pants in many cases but, it took us to the moon and back...several times.

I'll check out the book! I know it was an great honor to be called a "steely-eyed missile man" back in those days. :D

Also, check out the book called The First Space Race. It details the USA-USSR race to launch the first satellite into space. I actually got to meet the two authors of the book (and got an autographed copy of the book) when they came to speak to my graduate Spacecraft Design class back in 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Space-Race-Satellites/dp/1585443743

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
The article I posted did not have the gas generator test so here it is. Remember this is only the engine that drives the turbine for the main engine and that this GG was built in the 1960's.

F-! Gas Generator Test

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
I'll check out the book! I know it was an great honor to be called a "steely-eyed missile man" back in those days. :D

Also, check out the book called The First Space Race. It details the USA-USSR race to launch the first satellite into space. I actually got to meet the two authors of the book (and got an autographed copy of the book) when they came to speak to my graduate Spacecraft Design class back in 2005.

http://www.amazon.com/The-First-Space-Race-Satellites/dp/1585443743

I will check it out...