The laughter of the almighty, and guns

Granite

Hall of Fame
God never laughs in the Bible.

Oh, he sneers, sure. Feels derision, and mockery. But schadenfreude seems to be the only form of humor Jehovah ever experiences throughout the entirety of scripture.

Anybody else find that, a little, ya know, odd?

The creator of the universe never once felt a genuinely good-hearted laugh?

In fact, the Bible is remarkably short of laughter, or humor. Even Sarah's laughter can only be construed as the justified snickering of an old woman.

Jesus never did, either. Though he wept.

And while you chew on that--or not--here's a proposal.

For all you open-carry advocates, zealots, and firearms enthusiasts:

So you've taken to Target, Chiptole, and other soft targets. Nonsense, I say!:DK:

Come on! You're patriots, yes? Unafraid of any fight? Ready to defend freedom wherever you go?

So. Here's my suggestion: Strap on your favorite piece--carbine, sidearm, whatever--and stroll into your local bank. In fact, take your time; let a few other folks go ahead in line, and let them all get a real good look.

Better yet, go into one of those jewelers that have an armed guard on the premises. Bonus points if you keep your sunglasses on the entire time.

Just tell me how it goes. Pics or it didn't happen.

JosephR

When ever Balaam was talkin to his donkey an asked him a question the donkey said " Naaa!"

That right there was funny :)

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Come on! You're patriots, yes? Unafraid of any fight? Ready to defend freedom wherever you go?

So. Here's my suggestion: Strap on your favorite piece--carbine, sidearm, whatever--and stroll into your local bank. In fact, take your time; let a few other folks go ahead in line, and let them all get a real good look.

Better yet, go into one of those jewelers that have an armed guard on the premises. Bonus points if you keep your sunglasses on the entire time.

Just tell me how it goes. Pics or it didn't happen.

I'd be clearing the deck straightaway by carryin' a camera into some county courthouses. And this one takes t' cake: Student wearin' electronic device nearly went t' Davy Jones' locker involuntarily by crazed airport security. http://boin'boin'.net/2007/09/21/mit-student-arrested.html

The lubbers have gone t' bedlam. And aye, open carry in a bank with t' weapon holstered in plain sight would be t' last thin' a real robber would do. Not that it would save anyone foolish enough t' exercise his starboards t' do it."

musterion

The Bible says God sings with joy over His children (Zeph 3:17). I bet you hate that.

A part of your problem, Granite - apart from you being a fool - is that humor (the way man has long conceived it) almost invariably involves the pain, dismay, suffering or calamity of others, in which we take pleasure. It is, at its root, unloving and less than holy (and I admit this as one with, I confess, a fairly developed "sense of humor" and a lifelong appreciation for The Three Stooges). So what you're actually doing, Granite, is superimposing man's fallen, corrupted sensibilities onto God but then, when you find that He doesn't share them, you stupidly wonder what His problem is. The problem isn't His, it's yours. He's holy, we're not. Our laughter is almost invariably unholy, to some degree (yes, mea culpa).

And when He does laugh at the inevitable destruction of people like you, it's done at the expense of your PRIDE and ARROGANCE at rejecting Him, which is what will cause your destruction. The very pride and arrogance that permeates every comment you make on TOL. Repent while you can.

Arthur Brain

The Bible says God sings with joy over His children (Zeph 3:17). I bet you hate that.

A part of your problem, Granite - apart from you being a fool - is that humor (the way man has long conceived it) almost invariably involves the pain, dismay, suffering or calamity of others, in which we take pleasure. It is, at its root, unloving and less than holy (and I admit this as one with, I confess, a fairly developed "sense of humor" and a lifelong appreciation for The Three Stooges). So what you're actually doing, Granite, is superimposing man's fallen, corrupted sensibilities onto God but then, when you find that He doesn't share them, you stupidly wonder what His problem is. The problem isn't His, it's yours. He's holy, we're not. Our laughter is almost invariably unholy, to some degree (yes, mea culpa).

And when He does laugh at the inevitable destruction of people like you, it's done at the expense of your PRIDE and ARROGANCE at rejecting Him, which is what will cause your destruction. The very pride and arrogance that permeates every comment you make on TOL. Repent while you can.

What are you on about? Humour has many facets to it and the black/gallows variety is certainly part but to describe it as almost 'invariably unholy' is just ridiculous. What's unholy about having some banter with a friend? Enjoying a good laugh or wit? Finding things funny at nobody's actual expense? Heck, what's wrong with even having a mutual laugh at our foibles and taking the piss? It's healthy to have a sense of humour and your blinkered assessment of it is about as narrow as it gets...

Granite

Hall of Fame
What are you on about? Humour has many facets to it and the black/gallows variety is certainly part but to describe it as almost 'invariably unholy' is just ridiculous. What's unholy about having some banter with a friend? Enjoying a good laugh or wit? Finding things funny at nobody's actual expense? Heck, what's wrong with even having a mutual laugh at our foibles and taking the piss? It's healthy to have a sense of humour and your blinkered assessment of it is about as narrow as it gets...

One thing I've noticed...

Totalitarian governments have no sense of humor, or appreciation of satire or irony. They're invariably intolerant of humor and seem confused by expressions of it from outside powers (China's been suckered by the Onion more than once, then expressed bafflement that mockery is "acceptable" here).

Well totalitarian people have the same problem, too. It's the government they want in a nutshell, essentially. About the only form of "humor" they appreciate is usually some form of schadenfreude. Laughter is something a tyrant and prude despises, and almost always for the same reasons.

These are the people who don't understand when or why they're being mocked, and make themselves such amazing targets for ridicule. Nothing like an idiot who keeps hanging himself, or who insists that the castle isn't burning even when it's obvious it was nuked from orbit just to be sure.

Arthur Brain

One thing I've noticed...

Totalitarian governments have no sense of humor, or appreciation of satire or irony. They're invariably intolerant of humor and seem confused by expressions of it from outside powers (China's been suckered by the Onion more than once, then expressed bafflement that mockery is "acceptable" here).

Well totalitarian people have the same problem, too. It's the government they want in a nutshell, essentially. About the only form of "humor" they appreciate is usually some form of schadenfreude. Laughter is something a tyrant and prude despises, and almost always for the same reasons.

These are the people who don't understand when or why they're being mocked, and make themselves such amazing targets for ridicule. Nothing like an idiot who keeps hanging himself, or who insists that the castle isn't burning even when it's obvious it was nuked from orbit just to be sure.

Can't argue with any of that. The more puritanical or zealous a person is the less likely they are to have anything resembling a sense of humour I've noticed in my experience. It's almost like the notion of levity is sinful or some such so expand that to a totalitarian regime and it's pretty much a crime to enjoy a good laugh either for extremist religious or political reasons.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Can't argue with any of that. The more puritanical or zealous a person is the less likely they are to have anything resembling a sense of humour I've noticed in my experience. It's almost like the notion of levity is sinful or some such so expand that to a totalitarian regime and it's pretty much a crime to enjoy a good laugh either for extremist religious or political reasons.

Pleasure is often a form of mockery, and mocking the system is a form of autonomy that cannot be allowed. Private amusement is a small form of freedom they frown on, as well.

Jehovah never smiles, laughs, so much as chuckles. Jehovah is, in fact, positively Lovecraftian.

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Pleasure is often a form of mockery, and mocking the system is a form of autonomy that cannot be allowed. Private amusement is a small form of freedom they frown on, as well.

Jehovah never smiles, laughs, so much as chuckles. Jehovah is, in fact, positively Lovecraftian.

I would not have been God's servant if it were not for Jesus.

OT God does not sound loving God. I believe He is God because Jesus says so. I trust Jesus' word.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I would not have been God's servant if it were not for Jesus.

OT God does not sound loving God. I believe He is God because Jesus says so. I trust Jesus' word.

If you have anything to say on subject I'm all ears.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I just said it.

Question for everybody: Is there anything even approaching a joke in all of scripture?

One would think this is a critical part of human experience, and one to be cherished and exemplified...yet, in the Bible, humor never is.

Is God not funny?

If not, why?

If so, why is his word so unfunny?

Where does humor come from?

Is humor godly? If so, on what scriptural basis do you make your case?

meshak

BANNED
Banned
Question for everybody: Is there anything even approaching a joke in all of scripture?

One would think this is a critical part of human experience, and one to be cherished and exemplified...yet, in the Bible, humor never is.

Is God not funny?

If not, why?

If so, why is his word so unfunny?

Where does humor come from?

Is humor godly? If so, on what scriptural basis do you make your case?

God is not any thing like us. It is clear that Jesus was not like us either.

I think we are trying to avoid facing the reality of life. We are trying to ease by making it light of the matter with humor.

We are not as strong as we can be, mentally.

I think that's the bottom line of humor.

Arthur Brain

God is not any thing like us. It is clear that Jesus was not like us either.

I think we are trying to avoid facing the reality of life. We are trying to ease by making it light of the matter with humor.

We are not as strong as we can be, mentally.

I think that's the bottom line of humor.

So you regard having a sense of humour as weakness? Why on earth do we have one then? Has it also occurred to you that people in dire situations are still able to laugh - even at themselves? How is that weak?

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Humor be th' way th' weak find strength. When we cannot o'ercome some misfortune, we find strength in laughin' at it.

Keep the corners of your mouth turned up. Speak in a low, persuasive tone. Listen; be teachable. Laugh at good stories and learn to tell them…For as long as you are green, you can grow.
― Mother Teresa

If we couldn’t laugh, we would all go insane.

Robert Frost

Life is a comedy to those who think, a tragedy to those who feel.
Jean Racine

OCTOBER23

Here is your Scripture

Pr 1:24 Because I have called, and ye refused;

I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded;

25 But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:

Pr 1:26 I also will laugh at your calamity;

I will mock when your fear cometh;