User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 33

Thread: A thought...

  1. #1
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    512634

    A thought...

    Over the last couple days I have managed to get under more skin than usual. I think the Judge Greer thread, and my comments there, really pushed a couple folks over the edge.

    Even before I lost my faith I was a minority on TOL: a postmil five-point Calvinist. Now that I'm the self-appointed Resident Gadfly, even more so. (No big deal; I'm not here to win a popularity contest.) I have been able with few exceptions to get along with most everyone here at least some of the time. That's changed and, hey. Whatcha gonna do...

    I don't apologize for anything I've ever said. I am sorry for perhaps stirring up more smoke than useful...because being at TOL, I should spend my time being constructive. (And no; I am NOT just saying that because my rep points plummetted yesterday.)

    Going forward I'll do my best not to hit and run as much and to try to bring something constructive into a discussion, even if you and I disagree.

    Fair enough?

    P.S. I believe this is the human ritual known as "extending the olive branch."
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  2. #2
    Over 1500 post club Caledvwlch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,946
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    705715
    If I were human, I believe my response would be, "Go to hell." If I were human.

    --Spock
    “Ted Cruz was my roommate. I did not like him at all in college. And, you know, I want to be clear, because Ted Cruz is a nightmare of a human being. I have plenty of problems with his politics, but truthfully his personality is so awful that 99 percent of why I hate him is just his personality. If he agreed with me on every issue, I would hate him only one percent less.” -Craig Mazin

  3. #3
    Old Timer Justin (Wiccan)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    467
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1010
    P.S. I believe this is the human ritual known as "extending the olive branch."
    Hey ... stop waving that stick around! You'll put someone's eye out with it!

    Seriously, that's as fair and open an offer as could be expected of anyone here. Reps to you!

    Justin
    Justin

    “My lance is tipped o’ the hammered flame,
    My shield is beat o’ the moonlight cold;
    And I won my spurs in the Middle World,
    A thousand fathom beneath the mould."

  4. #4
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    512634
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin (Wiccan)
    Hey ... stop waving that stick around! You'll put someone's eye out with it!

    Seriously, that's as fair and open an offer as could be expected of anyone here. Reps to you!

    Justin
    Thanks. We'll see how it goes.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  5. #5
    Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    5,316
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 11 Times in 11 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1013
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1010
    Going forward I'll do my best not to hit and run as much and to try to bring something constructive into a discussion, even if you and I disagree.

  6. #6
    Rookie monochrome's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Great Falls
    Posts
    35
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    152
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1010
    Fair enough?
    Okay. I will forgive your transgressions this one time, as long as you take back that mean thing you said about my momma.

    - m -

  7. #7
    Over 1500 post club Caledvwlch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,946
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    705715
    Quote Originally Posted by monochrome
    Okay. I will forgive your transgressions this one time, as long as you take back that mean thing you said about my momma.

    - m -
    You are such a... oh sorry, I was about to be counter-productive.
    “Ted Cruz was my roommate. I did not like him at all in college. And, you know, I want to be clear, because Ted Cruz is a nightmare of a human being. I have plenty of problems with his politics, but truthfully his personality is so awful that 99 percent of why I hate him is just his personality. If he agreed with me on every issue, I would hate him only one percent less.” -Craig Mazin

  8. #8
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    512634
    Quote Originally Posted by monochrome
    Okay. I will forgive your transgressions this one time, as long as you take back that mean thing you said about my momma.

    - m -
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  9. #9
    Does Whatever A Light-House Can Lighthouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Anderson, IN
    Posts
    20,720
    Thanks
    1,174
    Thanked 13,200 Times in 10,085 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)


    Rep Power
    2147865
    I'll believe it when I see it.


  10. #10
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    227
    Hey Granite,

    Can I borrow your olive branch, there seems to be a skeptical youngster nearby who needs a good thrashing...

  11. #11
    Over 1500 post club Caledvwlch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    1,946
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 33 Times in 32 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    705715
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    Hey Granite,

    Can I borrow your olive branch, there seems to be a skeptical youngster nearby who needs a good thrashing...
    Only if it's a good, old fashioned, passionate thrashin'!
    “Ted Cruz was my roommate. I did not like him at all in college. And, you know, I want to be clear, because Ted Cruz is a nightmare of a human being. I have plenty of problems with his politics, but truthfully his personality is so awful that 99 percent of why I hate him is just his personality. If he agreed with me on every issue, I would hate him only one percent less.” -Craig Mazin

  12. #12
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    512634
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    Hey Granite,

    Can I borrow your olive branch, there seems to be a skeptical youngster nearby who needs a good thrashing...
    Consider it handed off!
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

  13. #13
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    227
    Quote Originally Posted by Caledvwlch
    Only if it's a good, old fashioned, passionate thrashin'!
    Oh, I'll only do it because I love him...

  14. #14
    TOL Legend Clete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Seated in the heavenly places at God's right hand, in Him!
    Posts
    7,890
    Thanks
    226
    Thanked 2,802 Times in 1,829 Posts

    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    1864919
    Quote Originally Posted by granite1010
    Over the last couple days I have managed to get under more skin than usual. I think the Judge Greer thread, and my comments there, really pushed a couple folks over the edge.

    Even before I lost my faith I was a minority on TOL: a postmil five-point Calvinist. Now that I'm the self-appointed Resident Gadfly, even more so. (No big deal; I'm not here to win a popularity contest.) I have been able with few exceptions to get along with most everyone here at least some of the time. That's changed and, hey. Whatcha gonna do...

    I don't apologize for anything I've ever said. I am sorry for perhaps stirring up more smoke than useful...because being at TOL, I should spend my time being constructive. (And no; I am NOT just saying that because my rep points plummetted yesterday.)

    Going forward I'll do my best not to hit and run as much and to try to bring something constructive into a discussion, even if you and I disagree.

    Fair enough?

    P.S. I believe this is the human ritual known as "extending the olive branch."

    This post all of 22 minutes after I posted this...

    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...&postcount=122



    I'm not buying it. I'll believe it when I see it.

    Resting in Him,
    Clete
    "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

  15. #15
    TOL Legend Granite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Live free or die.
    Posts
    11,974
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Blog Entries
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rep Power
    512634
    Quote Originally Posted by Clete
    This post all of 22 minutes after I posted this...

    http://www.theologyonline.com/forums...&postcount=122



    I'm not buying it. I'll believe it when I see it.

    Resting in Him,
    Clete
    And you guys call US skeptics.

    No offense Clete, but if you're keeping track of the time between posts you might want to get out more.

    I've got nothing to prove to you or anyone else. Take it or leave it.
    If wealth was the inevitable result of hard work and enterprise, every woman in Africa would be a millionaire.
    --George Monbiot




    Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that's even remotely true!
    --Homer J. Simpson

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us