What is your answer to "The Race Problem"?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
No, I'm suggesting that when one civilization comes along and annexes the resources and labor of another, leaving it significantly impoverished and struggling for its own survival, it's a little bit obnoxious to look back at the smoldering husk a few generations later and say "there but by the grace of God".

germany and france were destroyed twice in the twentieth century and they both seem to be doing ok today :idunno:

japan too

rexlunae

germany and france were destroyed twice in the twentieth century and they both seem to be doing ok today :idunno:

Have you heard of the Marshall Plan? There was a pretty clear, and careful effort to rebuild Europe, essentially the opposite of colonialism. The US and the UK rebuild the west in their image, and the Soviets rebuilt in theirs.

japan too

Japan was conquered, but never destroyed.

bybee

No, I'm suggesting that when one civilization comes along and annexes the resources and labor of another, leaving it significantly impoverished and struggling for its own survival, it's a little bit obnoxious to look back at the smoldering husk a few generations later and say "there but by the grace of God".

Because political progress is hard. Why do you feel so smug about it?

Or you could just read about it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Africa

When the Europeans were ousted from African Lands the thought was urged that withdrawal be gradual until the native people were skilled enough to be good effective leaders. This thought was eliminated and chaos ensued.

Alate_One

then you're suggesting that those countries with virtually no hite populations or whites in government are perpetuating a paradigm imposed on them by whites?

why would they do that?
Let's not forget the vast majority of Carribbean countries that are majority black. While some are in a bad state, others have a relatively high human development index.

while you're at it, tell us about the magnificent cultures they had developed before the colonial period

no fair using egypt :p
Well there's great Zimbabwe and the cultural context surrounding it.
Great-Zimbabwe-2.jpg

Nubian Pyramids
186993,xcitefun-meroe-pyramids-1.jpg

And of course, Timbuktu, part of the Mali empire and a trading network across the Sahara.
timbuktu-architecture.jpg

But you are basically implying you think people of African descent are inferior to people (more recently) from other parts of the world? The European settlers didn't want to believe Africans could build great monuments so they wanted to pretend Africans had not built the structures.

According to Paul Sinclair, interviewed for None But Ourselves: I was the archaeologist stationed at Great Zimbabwe. I was told by the then-director of the Museums and Monuments organisation to be extremely careful about talking to the press about the origins of the [Great] Zimbabwe state. I was told that the museum service was in a difficult situation, that the government was pressurising them to withhold the correct information. Censorship of guidebooks, museum displays, school textbooks, radio programmes, newspapers and films was a daily occurrence. Once a member of the Museum Board of Trustees threatened me with losing my job if I said publicly that blacks had built Zimbabwe. He said it was okay to say the yellow people had built it, but I wasn't allowed to mention radio carbon dates... It was the first time since Germany in the thirties that archaeology has been so directly censored.

Source

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yorzhik said:
What are white people's priorities and beliefs as compared to black people's priorities and beliefs?
By definition, the priorities that white people have. Frequently to include the free labor and lands of others.
Where is the comparison? You didn't answer the question.

You also forgot to include "beliefs." That's kind of important and gets to the heart of why people would do something.

You'll also have to show where non-whites didn't frequently include free labor and lands of others if you want to use that as an example of "white priorities" because I'm pretty sure non-whites were doing those things throughout history as well.

And, also, are you sure you want to use the word "priorities?" That's a pretty strong word that covers what white people are continually doing. Maybe you meant "occasional evil acts." Oh, wait, using an accurate phrase would ruin your argument. Never mind.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Have you heard of the Marshall Plan? There was a pretty clear, and careful effort to rebuild Europe, essentially the opposite of colonialism.

colonialism gave african countries infrastructure they never had before - roads, raillines, schools, hospitals...

Japan was conquered, but never destroyed.

hiroshima, nagasaki, tokyo...

rexlunae

You didnt answer the question.

Where is the comparison? You didn't answer the question.

The question wasn't relevant. It completely missed the point. It's not about the priorities, it's about who's making the decisions. It doesn't matter if there's a single difference in what your average white person would do versus your average black person. The fact that a significant ratio of the people who enjoy "black" media are white makes it a bit hypocritical when white people criticize black culture as a means of justifying racial disparities. It's not black people who maintain the perceptions of black people as tougher, less sympathetic, or more violent. It's our entire culture, the majority of which is still white.

ClimateSanity

The question wasn't relevant. It completely missed the point. It's not about the priorities, it's about who's making the decisions. It doesn't matter if there's a single difference in what your average white person would do versus your average black person. The fact that a significant ratio of the people who enjoy "black" media are white makes it a bit hypocritical when white people criticize black culture as a means of justifying racial disparities. It's not black people who maintain the perceptions of black people as tougher, less sympathetic, or more violent. It's our entire culture, the majority of which is still white.

By black media, are you referring to sitcoms and music and sports? If so, that is quite distinct from the culture that creates a criminal class. I am talking attitudes and beliefs and family structure. Focusing on the evil white man is one of those attitudes I am referring to. The lack of respect for authority if it is perceived as white is another cultural attribute I am referring to.....not jazz or hip hop or some entertainment nonsense. The hip hop music does reflect the debasing nature of young male inner city blacks. I dare say any whites who enjoy hip hop are not the same ones blaming a black culture for a criminal class.

ClimateSanity

It's not black people who maintain the perceptions of black people as tougher, less sympathetic, or more violent. It's our entire culture, the majority of which is still white.

Its actually hip hop and some black movies and television that is giving that perception. If that is not agreeable with the actors and singers of that media, then they are selling their souls for money.

rexlunae

Its actually hip hop and some black movies and television that is giving that perception. If that is not agreeable with the actors and singers of that media, then they are selling their souls for money.

"Selling their souls for money"...otherwise known as the great American pass-time. If they're selling their souls, who's doing the buying?

rexlunae

What are white people's priorities and beliefs as compared to black people's priorities and beliefs?

You wanted an example, here's one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/heroin-war-on-drugs-parents.html

When a problem is considered to only impact a minority population, be it a racial minority, an economic minority, or a sexual minority, it's considered a problem with "those people", and it's often dealt with through the criminal justice system, which often leads to a cycle of poverty and dysfunction. When it's a problem impacting white middle America, it's treated with a lot more sympathy, and the outcome is frequently often a lot different.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You wanted an example
No. I didn't want an example. I wanted you to substantiate your claim that "white priorities and beliefs" are inherently racist compared to non-white priorities and beliefs.

And your example does not support your premise. If there is a soft-pedeling on certain drug crimes because they are in white areas, that is not caused because whites are racist.

here's one:
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/31/us/heroin-war-on-drugs-parents.html

When a problem is considered to only impact a minority population, be it a racial minority, an economic minority, or a sexual minority, it's considered a problem with "those people", and it's often dealt with through the criminal justice system, which often leads to a cycle of poverty and dysfunction. When it's a problem impacting white middle America, it's treated with a lot more sympathy, and the outcome is frequently often a lot different.

rexlunae

No. I didn't want an example.

Well, you got one anyway. Perhaps you can use it to figure out what I was actually saying.

I wanted you to substantiate your claim that "white priorities and beliefs" are inherently racist compared to non-white priorities and beliefs.

That wasn't my claim, so...:idunno:

And your example does not support your premise. If there is a soft-pedeling on certain drug crimes because they are in white areas, that is not caused because whites are racist.

Maybe not. There can be racism without racists. But I don't think that's really going on here. I think that white people looked at black people who had high rates of heroine addiction, and they saw a problem with black people. But when the problem starts to impact white people, they saw a problem with drugs. Whether they admit it or not, and whether it was intentional or not, that is racism with racists.