Canadian Corner

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Fears that Europe will be overrun by Islam are a bit overblown. It's more that, if Europeans had been truer to our heritage, these immigrants from Islamic countries would be gradually adopting Christianity rather than becoming spiritually indifferent and only nominally religious.

Indifferent and nominal Muslims are better than some alternatives, eh? :eek:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Rideau Skateway ends record run of consecutive open days

Mar 10, 2015 — OTTAWA, Ont. The organization that runs Ottawa's Rideau Canal say this season's record-breaking run of 59 uninterrupted skating days has come to an end with the warmer weather.

The National Capital Commission says the sun and warm temperatures made the ice unsafe for the public.

They say this year's streak broke the 2003-2004 record of 46 consecutive skating days.

The commission says more than one-million visitors came to the canal this season, which began on January 10. (The Canadian Press)

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Ice-skating-on-the-Rideau-Canal-in-Ottawa.jpg

resodko

BANNED
Banned
526341618_213966180.jpg

this was the scene, last winter, in sub-zero temps

lisle-verte is 500 miles or so downriver from me, where the St Lawrence opens up into a saltwater estuary

cp-que-seniors-fire.jpg

never been down past montreal, myself

yet

kmoney

Hall of Fame
What other national capital has a five mile long skating rink running through the middle of it?
patin.gif

Pretty cool. :cool:

I vaguely remember a city wanting to have or having a skating path, like there could be for bikes or walkers. I'm wondering if that's what I was hearing about.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
never been up to ottawa in the winter - i go up that way every couple summers and hang out by the rideau for a day - it's about an hour and a half from here if the border crossing's light

resodko

BANNED
Banned
this is how wussy little french-canadians exhibit roadrage:

in america, that wuss would have tire tracks all over his face :darwinsm:

resodko

BANNED
Banned
Manuel Delisle, charged in chainsaw road-rage incident, suspended from city job

Man charged with armed assault in connection with weekend confrontation

Manuel Delisle, the man accused in a bizarre Quebec road-rage incident involving a chainsaw, has been suspended from his job as a pruner by the City of Montreal.
■Manuel Delisle pleads not guilty after Quebec road-rage chainsaw incident
■Quebec man arrested after chainsaw used to threaten family

Delisle has been an auxiliary employee with Côte-des-Neiges–Notre-Dame-de-Grâce borough on and off since 2006, the city confirmed today.

He has been suspended with pay.

Delisle was arrested on Monday morning and later charged with armed assault following a road-rage incident on the weekend in St-Jérôme.

A man can be seen in a cellphone video approaching a vehicle, swearing and revving a chainsaw. The couple inside the vehicle said they had followed his car trying to get a licence plate number after the driver cut them off and was driving erratically.

Manuel Delisle has pleaded not guilty to armed assault following a road-rage incident in Quebec. (Submitted by Karine Cyr)

Delisle pleaded not guilty in court and was given a conditional release.

The conditions of his release include keeping the peace, staying at least 500 metres away from the couple's home and workplaces and not communicating with them.

He is scheduled to return to court July 7.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
"suspended from his job as a pruner" :freak:

:darwinsm:

i suppose his defence will be "i wasn't threatening them! I was showing them the tools from my job as a pruner! if they hadn't driven off i was going to show them my rake next!"

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
this got a lot of air on the cbc:

P.K. Subban donates $10 million to Montreal Children's Hospital

Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban made the largest single charitable donation ever by a Canadian athlete when he gave $10 million to the Montreal Children’s Hospital this week.

On Wednesday morning, the museum opened the P.K. Subban Atrium in recognition of the gift.

Subban has also committed to working with the hospital for the next seven years, which is not so coincidentally the amount of time remaining on his $72 million contract with the Montreal Canadiens.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/p-k-subban-donates-10-million-to-montreal-childrens-hospital

P.K.-Subban.jpg

ok doser

not really, but i live four miles from the border and am closer to their national capital than my state capital

and i listen pretty much exclusively to the cbc - pulled the plug on tv in 04

see where that little tongue of canadian shield (red) crosses over into new york state just north of lake ontario?

that's me! :banana:

CanadianShield.jpg

ok doser

Stan Rogers, featured on the CBC last night

i remember seeing the Comeaudoc go by when I was a kid - sorry to see her scrapped

not many of the old longboats left :(

ok doser

so they're talking about yoko ono on the cbc last night and they refer to john lennon, who would be 75 this year except that he was gunned down by "Mark David Chapman" :doh:

why give his name?

why give any of their names???? :doh:

just refer to him as "a loser with a gun"

stop giving these morons the recognition they crave :sibbie:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
so they're talking about yoko ono on the cbc last night and they refer to john lennon, who would be 75 this year except that he was gunned down by "Mark David Chapman" :doh:

why give his name?

why give any of their names???? :doh:

just refer to him as "a loser with a gun"

stop giving these morons the recognition they crave :sibbie:

I agree, they ingrained the name in our psyches and we all know (those alive at the time). Why repeat it now for the people that didn't know ? If someone wants the name of a shooter they can look it up.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
not really, but i live four miles from the border and am closer to their national capital than my state capital

and i listen pretty much exclusively to the cbc - pulled the plug on tv in 04

see where that little tongue of canadian shield (red) crosses over into new york state just north of lake ontario?

that's me! :banana:

CanadianShield.jpg

Is that the best map you could use ? I need your exact location