Two Covenants: Genesis 15 & 17

beloved57

Two Covenants: Genesis 15 & 17

They are the same Covenant with the Promises. Gen 15:18-21

18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

Gen 17:7-8

7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.

way 2 go

They are the same Covenant with the Promises. Gen 15:18-21

18 In the same day the Lord made a covenant with Abram, saying, Unto thy seed have I given this land, from the river of Egypt unto the great river, the river Euphrates:

19 The Kenites, and the Kenizzites, and the Kadmonites,

20 And the Hittites, and the Perizzites, and the Rephaims,

21 And the Amorites, and the Canaanites, and the Girgashites, and the Jebusites.

Abram's part of this covenant was faith
Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

which is why paul writes this
Rom_4:1 What then shall we say was gained by Abraham, our forefather according to the flesh?
Rom_4:2 For if Abraham was justified by works, he has something to boast about, but not before God.
Rom_4:3 For what does the Scripture say? "Abraham believed God, and it was counted to him as righteousness."

Gen 17:7-8

7 And I will establish my covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for an everlasting covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.

8 And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for an everlasting possession; and I will be their God.
Abramham's part of this covenant was circumcision
Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised

which is why james wrote this
Jas 2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works when he offered up his son Isaac on the altar?

the question is why the second covenant?
what happened ?

way 2 go

way2go
Abram's part of this covenant was faith

That's false. Neither does scripture state that.

Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

so interpreting believed to
And he had faith in the LORD

that's wrong ?
is it wrong in all instances or just this one ?

beloved57

Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."

that's wrong ?

False teaching.

way 2 go

that's wrong ?

False teaching.

how do you know ?

Christian Liberty

False teaching.

No, its true. Abraham believed and was saved. Now, we know he believed because God caused him to believe, and that he couldn't have believed if Christ didn't die for him. This poster may not believe that. But that doesn't make what he actually said wrong.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What about this verse?

1 Peter 1:3 NASB - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
What about this verse?

1 Peter 1:3 NASB - Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
To whom is this question directed?