New International PerVersion

Jerry Shugart

By KJB do you mean KJV? If not what does it mean. As I've said to me KJB is the Russian spy agency….and I'm not joking.

The initials KJB means "King James Bible."

The Russian spy agency is the KGB, not the KJB.

So I thought that you were joking but now I find out that you were only misinformed.

Truster

The initials KJB means "King James Bible."

The Russian spy agency is the KGB, not the KJB.

So I thought that you were joking but now I find out that you were only misinformed.

For six years I worked in a Christian Book shop and we sold Bibles in as many versions as you could list from memory. I never, ever heared anyone ask or describe a KJB. Its been called the KJV of the Bible for what seems forever, but you decide to change that and bring in confusion. But you only use it in the first sentence and then revert to KJV. Why don't you just admit to a typo and end the suffering?

Jerry Shugart

For six years I worked in a Christian Book shop and we sold Bibles in as many versions as you could list from memory. I never, ever heared anyone ask or describe a KJB.

Many describe it is the "King James Bible" and I simply use the initials "KJB" to describe that Bible.

I am not the only one who uses those initials to describe the King James Bible. Check out this site:

I use the initials KJV when I quote a verse so that others will know that that particular verse came from the "King James Version" of the Bible. But when I speak specifically of the King James Bible I use the initials KJB.

Last edited:

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Closest translated to manuscripts:

1. ASV 1901
2. NASB
3.NKJV
4. KJV

as stated by Dr Arnold Fruchtenbaum. The last I spoke with him he was still going thru the ESV and withheld commenting on that version last year.

Posted from the TOL App!

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
For six years I worked in a Christian Book shop and we sold Bibles in as many versions as you could list from memory. I never, ever heared anyone ask or describe a KJB. Its been called the KJV of the Bible for what seems forever, but you decide to change that and bring in confusion. But you only use it in the first sentence and then revert to KJV. Why don't you just admit to a typo and end the suffering?

Much ado about nothing. I have seen KJB used quite frequently to identify the King James Bible. Now that you know at different areas of the country use different initials to describe the same thing, drop and move on.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
It never pretended to be a translation it was simply a paraphrase and not a very good or accurate one. They have caused problems for translations or paraphrase into other languages. I was doing some work yesterday and checking out some verses in 32 different language translations. I found the same mistakes from the NIV in the Somali and the Swahili Bibles. NIV Matthew 27:46 Gives Eloy, Eloy instead of Eli, Eli and the same mistakes have been transferred.

Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God. (Galatians 6:16 NIV)

And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. (Galatians 6:16 NASB)

Two groups became one in the NIV

Posted from the TOL App!

Truster

Much ado about nothing. I have seen KJB used quite frequently to identify the King James Bible. Now that you know at different areas of the country use different initials to describe the same thing, drop and move on.

It's not a King James Bible it's the King James version of the Bible. Always has been. The reason for that is King James commissioned it, but he didn't own the copyright, so possession was not a factor while commissioned version was and is.

You might not like the facts, but the facts remain.

Drop and walk on, bye…

Truster

Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule—to the Israel of God. (Galatians 6:16 NIV)

And those who will walk by this rule, peace and mercy be upon them, and upon the Israel of God. (Galatians 6:16 NASB)

Posted from the TOL App!

And a more accurate translation would be: And as many as march according to this canon, shalom be on them, and mercy, and upon the Yisra El of Elohim''.

The 'will' gives a future tense which is false.
''To all'' does the same and distorts the original meaning.

Jerry Shugart

If you will look at the marginal note we can understand that the verse can be translated in the following way:

"Peace and mercy to all who follow this rule and to the Israel of God."

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
If you will look at the marinal notr we can understand that the verse can be understood in the following way:

Exactly - paraphrase not translation.

Posted from the TOL App!

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
It's not a King James Bible it's the King James version of the Bible. Always has been. The reason for that is King James commissioned it, but he didn't own the copyright, so possession was not a factor while commissioned version was and is.

You might not like the facts, but the facts remain.

Drop and walk on, bye…
You ignored part of what I said. Here it is again for your edification: Now that you know at different areas of the country use different initials to describe the same thing, drop and move on.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Exactly - paraphrase not translation.

Posted from the TOL App!
Translation requires paraphrase. Frequently there is no single in word in English for a word in another language. When that happens, you must translate the meaning of the word which is a paraphrase.

For a simple exercise, here is a word in German. Please provide the English word that exactly conveys the same meaning.

German:
Fahrvergnügen

Jerry Shugart

Speaking of translations, all of them but one mistranslates the following verse, including the NIV:

"And with that he breathed on them and said, 'Receive the Holy Spirit'" (Jn.20:22; NIV).​

It is impossible that this translation is correct. That is because in the following passage the Lord Jesus said that the Holy Spirit would not be sent until He departed to be with the Father and He had not yet departed to be with the Father when He said those words:

"But now I go my way to him that sent me; and none of you asketh me, Whither goest thou? But because I have said these things unto you, sorrow hath filled your heart. Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you" (Jn.16:5-7).​

It is impossible that they had received "the Holy Spirit" because the Lord Jesus had not yet departed to be with the Father when He spoke the words at John 20:22. Therefore the correct translation of John 20:22 is as follows:

"And saying this, He exhales and is saying to them, 'Get holy spirit!' " (Jn.20:22; CLV).​

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Does this translation not give the proper meaning of what is said in the Greek?:

What is the context? Who are the Judaizers? What was accomplished and added by the Jerusalem elders in acts 15?

There are the saved Gentiles "peace be upon them that follow this rule" and then there are the saved Jews, the Remnant of believing Israel, the "Israel of God."

If I want to teach that there was only one people of God and that Israel and the church are always the same Old Testament and New; NIV baby!

Posted from the TOL App!

Spitfire

A better interpretation exercise is to ask someone what it means when someone, according to a literal translation from German, has "nothing on the hat" with something.

Or how you should react when someone says in German what literally means he or she is going to "bring you around".

:p

And let's not even get into the fact that English is a rather unique language in that a single surface structure could correspond to such a large number of possible deep structures.

Ich habe die Nase voll gehabt! Ich bringe euch alle um!

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Translation requires paraphrase. Frequently there is no single in word in English for a word in another language. When that happens, you must translate the meaning of the word which is a paraphrase.

For a simple exercise, here is a word in German. Please provide the English word that exactly conveys the same meaning.

German:
Fahrvergnügen

What's a transliteration vs a translation?

Posted from the TOL App!

Jerry Shugart

If I want to teach that there was only one people of God and that Israel and the church are always the same Old Testament and New; NIV baby!

But the word "and" makes it plain that those who are described as the "Israel of God" do not belong to the same group spoken of in the first part of the verse: