Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
conscience and the inner light judges..........

conscience and the inner light judges..........

There is no hell in the sense of there being a place of eternal conscious torment.

That's the crux of the debate, all angles trying to 'qualify' their 'interpretation' as 'biblical'. Issues on the words translated into the English word 'hell' have been treated elsewhere. In all 'assumptions', the justice and mercy of 'God' prevails in all fairness for all souls, recognizing those laws that govern their condition and destiny. - this is also where the principle of 'karma' (actions/consequences) ties in.

There is a judgement however and the evangelical dogma should be "you must be saved or face the judgement."

Even this could be called a 'fear tactic'. It might be more advantageous to just share the goodnews of the kingdom that Jesus shared and taught. All know there are consequences to 'sin', which brings its own suffering, now or later. 'Judgment' actually happens when the light of consciousness or one's own 'conscience' judges themselves by the law or light of 'God' within their own being, and calls them to repent or make amends. We are always facing and dealing with 'judgment' by our everyday living, from moment to moment. We are good to recognize this, even though we may religiously entertain a 'great Judgment Day' as some future event, representing the ultimacy of divine judgment in the final eschatology of things.

pj

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
our 'approach'..........

our 'approach'..........

The evangelical dogma, 'you must be 'saved', or go to hell', is sicker than sick, and abusive when kids are threatened with it! I make no apology for condemning that evil nastiness whenever I can!

We might add that a concept of being 'saved' developed more into its formalism in later centuries of Christian culture and within our modern pop culture. Again we see come to 'principles'. "Goodness is its own reward, evil its own punishment". - there is no need to paint an eschatology of 'heaven' or 'hell' here,...or a 'judgment day', for everyone reaps what they sow.....moment to moment, with accompanying results. The principle of karma (action/consequence) cannot be avoided as long as there is movement, choice, inter-action of any kind. Such is the law, on this conditional plane of existence.

As far as street preachers go, I cant say there is no good done in some cases with those whose manners are kind, truly loving and considerate (thru sharing God's love and goodnews of the kingom, healing prayer, etc.), but some go too far where it becomes offending and truly demeaning even. That kind of approach seems to push people away from 'Christian religiosity' and confuses people over where Jesus fits into all this, beyond one's imposed dogmas. In this case while people "think" they are serving 'God' somehow, they do a dis-service to others.

pj

godrulz

Hall of Fame
the second death says it all
the first is of our earthly body
the second is of our soul

the real question is
why would anyone want anyone to suffer eternally?

that is what needs to be addressed

Why do you call yourself Catholic when you reject a basic Catholic teaching?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
The evangelical dogma, 'you must be 'saved', or go to hell', is sicker than sick, and abusive when kids are threatened with it! I make no apology for condemning that evil nastiness whenever I can!

I am not in the habit of using Christian cliches about being saved, not do I scare children with the truth of hell.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
There is no hell in the sense of there being a place of eternal conscious torment. There is a judgement however and the evangelical dogma should be "you must be saved or face the judgement."

There is judgment followed by destiny, a heaven to gain, a hell to shun. This is biblical whether you see it or not.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus died physically, not spiritually, not eternally.

Your statement reflects a lack of understanding of our view (straw man) and biblical death.

There you have said it.

You do not believe the soul of Jesus ceased until resurrection.

You think only His heart pump stopped working.

All the spiritualists believe like that.

They say one is still alive when they are dead.

Is Mary in Heaven or in the grave awaiting the resurrection along with all saints.

RCC spiritualism is your teacher.

LA

Timotheos

There is no hell in the sense of there being a place of eternal conscious torment. There is a judgement however and the evangelical dogma should be "you must be saved or face the judgement."

I agree, and the Bible says that the wages of sin is death. The Bible says that the judgment will result in either eternal life for the saved or death for those who will perish. "Whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."

bybee

I agree, and the Bible says that the wages of sin is death. The Bible says that the judgment will result in either eternal life for the saved or death for those who will perish. "Whoever believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."

Only life contains the possibility of eternity.
Death is the absence of possibility.

Aimiel

It simply doesn't make any sense that God would wake all those wicked from the dead just to make them dead again. He has told us that they would suffer eternally and that DOES make sense. We just need to believe Him.