Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brotherWilli

Originally posted by Poly

:confused:

bW, this is a hypothetical situation here.
Yes, the thief really kills the man. The man decided to have a little chat with the thief instead of defending himself but before he could get 2 words out the thief blows his head off and then goes and kills the rest of his family. Now you really want to tell me that Jesus was happy that this man who decided to talk with the thief instead of doing whatever necessary in protecting his family?
YEP
prove me wrong

context

:doh:

ShadowMaid

I read that... and I knew almost exactly what you were promoting to "Poly's wackiest post of the day 09-12-04" when I read the title. :D

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by ShadowMaid

I read that... and I knew almost exactly what you were promoting to "Poly's wackiest post of the day 09-12-04" when I read the title. :D
This is definitely "fruitcake" material.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Originally posted by brother Willi

they liked it.
i live a simple life
we dont need much
You didn't give them all. You still have your computer.

brother Willi

Matthew 5:38
"You have heard that it was said, 'AN EYE FOR AN EYE, AND A TOOTH FOR A TOOTH.'

Matthew 5:39
"But I say to you, do not resist an evil person; but whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also.

Matthew 5:40
"If anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, let him have your coat also.

Matthew 5:41
"Whoever forces you to go one mile, go with him two.

Matthew 5:42
"Give to him who asks of you, and do not turn away from him who wants to borrow from you.

Matthew 5:43
"You have heard that it was said, 'YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and hate your enemy.'

Matthew 5:44
"But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,

Matthew 5:45
so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.

Matthew 5:46
"For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same?

Matthew 5:47
"If you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same?

Matthew 5:48
"Therefore you are to be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
I feel a little bad hammering BW, I have enjoyed a few conversations with him in the past, but he has really lost it with this issue.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
:patrol:Alert to Gerald:patrol:

Brother Willi won't defend himself if you attack him...:chuckle:

PureX

The bible clearly says: "shoot first, so as to kill your brother before he can kill you and yours". I'm sure I saw that in there somewhere. I think it was right near the part where Jesus massacred all those soldiers who came to take him away and torture and kill him. Or maybe it was in that part where he reached into Pilot's chest and ripped his heart out with some special commando ju-jitsu move when Pilot sentenced him to death. Jesus was ALL ABLOUT violent self-defense, after all.

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, and you see where that got him. :rolleyes:

The point is not what would Jesus do, the US Government isn't supposed to ask itself that question, nor is it supposed to base it's foreign policies on the teachings of Jesus.

C'mon PureX, your smarter than that, even if BW isn't.

PureX

Originally posted by BillyBob

Yeah, and you see where that got him. :rolleyes:

The point is not what would Jesus do, the US Government isn't supposed to ask itself that question, nor is it supposed to base it's foreign policies on the teachings of Jesus.

C'mon PureX, your smarter than that, even if BW isn't.
George Bush and many of the other neo-con Christians in America have been turning Jesus into some sort of holy "Rambo" for a long time, now. They imagine that God loves guns and violent self-defense and deadly retribution for all sorts of offences. They see only violent and militaristic solutions to all of the world's problems and they see anyone who dares to disagree with them as a problem that needs to be corrected by the only means they seem to recognize. They are the most UN-Chistian Christians I've ever seen.

One of the most profound differences between the old testament and the new, and one of the most profound ideas that Jesus brings to us in the new testament is the idea that love transcends the self, and that no greater love can a man show for his brother than to give up even his own life for him. And Jesus wasn't just talking big ideals, he DID what he was proposing. He let his enemies torture and murder him to SHOW US that the love of God acting within us and through us can transcend even our own life and death, and can change and heal both us and the world, forever. And I do believe that this is true.

So when I hear these neo-con Christians spouting off about the righteousness of capitol punishment and a violent proactive national defense and screaming for the maximum vengeance at all times for all crimes against all people, all I can do is shake my head at the absurdity of it. These people aren't Christians by any standard that I see Jesus preaching or exemplifying. I think they're just a bunch of petty blowhards and phonies, using Jesus and the bible to rationalize and justify their own ugly, violent, selfish, and mesan-spirited impulses.

I'm not claiming that I would not defend myself or my loved-ones if someone were to come looking to do me or them harm. But I'm sure not going to revel in or glorify the fact that I don't have enough faith and courage to do as Jesus did under the same conditions. And I'm sure not going to revel in and glorify the fact that my country also did not have the faith and courage to respond is some way other than brutal violence when it saw itself threatened. And I sure as hell don't consider George Bush or these other neo-con phonies ANY sort of Christian that Jesus Christ would have been proud of.

'Absurd' indeed!

BillyBob

BANNED
Banned
You don't know that! Jesus didn't give sermons about how governments should conduct foreign policy or to what degree it should defend it's citizens.

You guys are not making a valid comparison! Maybe you aren't any smarter than BW after all.

PureX

Originally posted by BillyBob

You don't know that! Jesus didn't give sermons about how governments should conduct foreign policy or to what degree it should defend it's citizens.

You guys are not making a valid comparison! Maybe you aren't any smarter than BW after all.
Bush is a lousy Christian for the reasons mentioned in my previous post. He's a lousy president because he confuses his job as president with his flawed concept of Jesus' life and message. He's a failure on both counts.

I agree that Jesus did not discuss how governments should conduct themselves, because he was not concerned with such things. When asked about this he simply said to render unto Ceaser (the government) that which is Ceaser's, and render unto God that which is God's (our spiritual being). George Bush has no business presuming that Amerca should be behaving in a Christian manner, not even in his misconcieved neo-con 'Rambo-Jesus' idea of what is a Christian manner. Nor do American Christians have any business trying to make their government and fellow citizens behave in what they rightly or wrongly perceive to be a Christian manner. Jesus never advocated such political action and persistently refused to become embroiled in the politics of his own time. From this I think we can conclude that any sort of "holy Christian Nation" (such as George Bush preaches and American neo-con Christians fantasize about) is not only absurd in practice, it's inconsistent with the teachings and behavior of Jesus, himself. Not to mention that it's antithetical to the most basic principals and intentions of the founders of the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.