User Tag List

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 256

Thread: The Terri Case - this is ridiculous

  1. #46
    Just livin' life one day at a time. Poly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    6,607
    Thanks
    23
    Thanked 515 Times in 261 Posts

    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)





    Rep Power
    420476
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    I been watching Fox News tonight.... just to get a little insight. Fascinating case actually....all the legal stuff, though I don't understand most of it, is pretty interesting.

    I retract the harsh statements I made, but not because of any flames I received from you all but because this is such an unusual case with all kinds of complicated legal rigamarole associated with it.

    I am no medical or legal expert. I can provide no educated opinion. All I think is this poor woman and this family has been through enough. Somehow we need to get some closure, but I'm not sure any more the right way to do that. Starving her to death is cruel. I'm hearing questionable things about Michael and his character. I no longer know the right thing to do; either way, the outcome will be sad.

    But I'm not a communist, a nazi, or a heartless person. I sympathize with those on both sides of this case, but I don't think this needs to be in the media so much. It's all that's on now, and there's more important things happening in the world.

    T.E.
    I think the thing that disappoints me the most is that you assumed something to be true when it was nothing more than what you had been told. This is such a dangerous thing to do. We have no hard concrete proof in all of this. But we do have some big time evidence that Michael does not care for Terri and that he's never had her best interest in mind. Did you bother to read any of this before you made up your mind before that Terri should die?
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan



    Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom


    Upgrade your TOL membership.

  2. #47
    Formerly Shimei! Servo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,047
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 20 Times in 15 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    11236
    I like what Columbine dad Brian Rohrbough said, "There’s no such thing as assisted suicide, its murder when you kill an innocent person."

  3. #48
    BANNED The Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the thing that disappoints me the most is that you assumed something to be true when it was nothing more than what you had been told. This is such a dangerous thing to do. We have no hard concrete proof in all of this. But we do have some big time evidence that Michael does not care for Terri and that he's never had her best interest in mind. Did you bother to read any of this before you made up your mind before that Terri should die?
    Poly, I corrected my mistake. I admited to assuming and repented. Be disappointed no more.

  4. #49
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    I need to write a living will, so this horrible madness doesn't happen to me should i have an accident like that.
    What if you change your mind and can't tell anyone?
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

  5. #50
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by wholearmor
    What if you change your mind and can't tell anyone?
    It's too late, then...

    It's kind of like agreeing to gall bladder surgery. If you wait too long to change your mind you'll wake up with a changed mind and a missing gall bladder.

    Free will does not guarrantee unlimited ability to change one's mind and affect a different outcome in an event.

  6. #51
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    It's too late, then...

    It's kind of like agreeing to gall bladder surgery. If you wait too long to change your mind you'll wake up with a changed mind and a missing gall bladder.

    Free will does not guarrantee unlimited ability to change one's mind and affect a different outcome in an event.
    Exactly. That's one reason why the practice of a living will is ridiculous. You cannot know what you would want until you find yourself experiencing the situation. It reminds me somewhat of a scene from the movie, Young Frankenstein, where Gene Wilder's character told his assistants not to let him out of the room with the monster for any reason. Of course, shortly after entering the room and being locked in, he changed his mind and begged and pleaded to be let out.
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

  7. #52
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by wholearmor
    Exactly. That's why the practice of a living will is ridiculous. You cannot know what you would want until you find yourself experiencing the situation. It reminds me somewhat of a scene from the movie, Young Frankenstein, where Gene Wilder's character told his assistants not to let him out of the room with the monster for any reason. Of course, shortly after entering the room and being locked in, he changed his mind and begged and pleaded to be let out.
    Having worked for a couple of years in a hospital emergency room and frequently visiting the poor souls in the ICU and CCU, I would say that the practice of a living will is a wise decision if you do not want to leave important decisions about your care to squabbling family members or strangers like hospital administration or insurance providers.

    It's not perfect, no. But it's better than the potential of being left to the wolves...

  8. #53
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    Having worked for a couple of years in a hospital emergency room and frequently visiting the poor souls in the ICU and CCU, I would say that the practice of a living will is a wise decision if you do not want to leave important decisions about your care to squabbling family members or strangers like hospital administration or insurance providers.

    It's not perfect, no. But it's better than the potential of being left to the wolves...
    So considering Terri Schiavo specifically, if she had left a living will stating she didn't want to be kept alive with a feeding tube, would you consider it a tragedy for her if she didn't feel that way in the state she finds herself in?
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

  9. #54
    BANNED The Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    What if I change my mind and can't tell anyone? I'll have to place my trust in God that He will take care of me or cause the family members to make the decision they know I'd want. But while I am able, I better get a living will done. As Zakath said, it's not perfect but it's better than the squabbling family members doing what is happening to Terri.

    Terri's case is just so strange and full of so much rumor and speculation, it has caused me to say things I was not sure about. A very touchy issue and people seem to be very passionate about it. I dismiss the matter; it does not affect me. It's not right to kill her, and it's not right to force her to live the way she is. I wash my hands of the case. Hope it turns out for the best, and soon. If anything, if this case affected me somehow, it brought to my attention the importance of a living will. I will be writing one so this does not happen to me.

  10. #55
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by The Edge
    What if I change my mind and can't tell anyone? I'll have to place my trust in God that He will take care of me or cause the family members to make the decision they know I'd want. But while I am able, I better get a living will done. As Zakath said, it's not perfect but it's better than the squabbling family members doing what is happening to Terri.

    Terri's case is just so strange and full of so much rumor and speculation, it has caused me to say things I was not sure about. A very touchy issue and people seem to be very passionate about it. I dismiss the matter; it does not affect me. It's not right to kill her, and it's not right to force her to live the way she is. I wash my hands of the case. Hope it turns out for the best, and soon. If anything, if this case affected me somehow, it brought to my attention the importance of a living will. I will be writing one so this does not happen to me.
    What if she wants to live the way she is? Don't you consider a living will premeditated suicide?
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

  11. #56
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by wholearmor
    What if she wants to live the way she is?
    Her window for making such decisions closed when she lost brain function. From what I understand, she is in her current condition mostly as a result of her lifestyle for a number of years prior to her heart attack. She is, sadly perhaps, having to accept the results of her previous poor choices over a number of years...

    Like a mountain climber falling from the rock face to his doom after his rope breaks, it's too late to decide then that he didn't really want to go mountain climbing that day...

  12. #57
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakath
    Her window for making such decisions closed when she lost brain function.

    Like a mountain climber falling from the rock face to his doom after his rope breaks, it's too late to decide then that he didn't really want to go mountain climbing that day...
    That's a terrible analogy. Mountain climbers know full well the risks of mountain climbing. Terri Schiavo never had any idea what the risks would be of completing a living will. Also, Terri has not lost all brain function, correct?
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

  13. #58
    Resident Atheist Zakath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    3,015
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    248
    Quote Originally Posted by wholearmor
    That's a terrible analogy.
    Not really, no.

    Mountain climbers know full well the risks of mountain climbing.
    In general, that's true. Though a specific climb may be much riskier than a climber realizes until they're too far committed to turn back.

    Terri Schiavo never had any idea what the risks would be of completing a living will.

    So considering Terri Schiavo specifically, if she had left a living will stating she didn't want to be kept alive with a feeding tube, would you consider it a tragedy for her if she didn't feel that way in the state she finds herself in?
    I combined your two posts here. I missed this last paragraph in my previous example. I think her condition and position are tragic, yes. But I still think she is where she is, at least partially, as a result of her own choices and actions.

    It's not like she was a vicitim of an automobile accident over which she had no control...

    Also, Terri has not lost all brain function, correct?
    So far as I understand, that is correct. She had the ability to randomly vocalize (make sounds, but not words) and her eyes would respond to light. She does not, according to physician reports I've read, respond to direct stimulus in Her lower brain stem functions (breathing, heartbeat, some autonomic nervious functions) also appeared to be intact.

  14. #59
    BANNED The Edge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    0
    Don't you consider a living will premeditated suicide?
    No I do not. I consider a living will to be a preparatory document outlining what you want done if you should lose the ability to communicate medical decisions after a catestrophic medical event in your life. Writing a living will should not be done lightly, but should reflect a lot of thought and prayer beforehand.

  15. #60
    Over 750 post club wholearmor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CO
    Posts
    759
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    208
    Zakath:
    In general, that's true. Though a specific climb may be much riskier than a climber realizes until they're too far committed to turn back.

    WA:
    In that case, you described the person incorrectly. That person would be a fool, not a mountain climber in the true sense of the words, which would follow that a person completing a living will would be a fool not knowing what they may be getting themselves into.
    Live from the abortion mill, it's Saturday morning.
    7:30 to 11:30 a.m. Mountain Time

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
About us
Since 1997 TheologyOnline (TOL) has been one of the most popular theology forums on the internet. On TOL we encourage spirited conversation about religion, politics, and just about everything else.

follow us