Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Aimiel

Reading and holding onto only the parts of Scripture which support your own hair brained theology is very dangerous, Timmy.

Timotheos

Reading and holding onto only the parts of Scripture which support your own hair brained theology is very dangerous, Timmy.

Oh, I guess you don't know the answer then, Amy.:wave2:
The answer is death.

According to the Bible, All who believe in the Son of God will not do what? Perish or Be tormented or all eternity? The answer can be found in John 3:16.

Arthur Brain

Well, everyone dies on this plane and as far as ECT goes I certainly agree insofar as that is a warped doctrine. But why insist that the 'second death' means either a 'life' of some sort (in eternal suffering) or another cessation of existence? Annihilation presents its own problems in certain regards as I'd argued with Krsto.

Presuming he still holds the same view, (by all means correct me if this has changed Krsto) he believes that children who die simply go out of existence as they've not repented, or had chance to. What's there to say to a parent who's lost a dearly loved child if that's your position as well? It may not be so could you clarify where you stand?

Timotheos, you might have missed this amidst the ongoing so can you address?

Timotheos

Well, everyone dies on this plane and as far as ECT goes I certainly agree insofar as that is a warped doctrine. But why insist that the 'second death' means either a 'life' of some sort (in eternal suffering) or another cessation of existence? Annihilation presents its own problems in certain regards as I'd argued with Krsto.

Presuming he still holds the same view, (by all means correct me if this has changed Krsto) he believes that children who die simply go out of existence as they've not repented, or had chance to. What's there to say to a parent who's lost a dearly loved child if that's your position as well? It may not be so could you clarify where you stand?

Plane?

According to the Bible, sin entered the world through one man, Adam. Death entered the world through sin. That's why there is death. But on the last day, the Son of God, Jesus Christ will return and resurrect the dead. He will judge the world, and He will be Just. He will be fair. The child will live again, because of Jesus Christ. God took the penalty for sin, which is death, and He knows the hearts of all of us. He rose again, defeating death. I believe that when a child dies, he is really dead. It is sad, and it is a reality. The reality is also that Jesus Christ will return to resurrect the dead. When Jesus returns and raises the child to life again, the child will no longer be dead. It is glorious.

Arthur Brain

Plane?

According to the Bible, sin entered the world through one man, Adam. Death entered the world through sin. That's why there is death. But on the last day, the Son of God, Jesus Christ will return and resurrect the dead. He will judge the world, and He will be Just. He will be fair. The child will live again, because of Jesus Christ. God took the penalty for sin, which is death, and He knows the hearts of all of us. He rose again, defeating death. I believe that when a child dies, he is really dead. It is sad, and it is a reality. The reality is also that Jesus Christ will return to resurrect the dead. When Jesus returns and raises the child to life again, the child will no longer be dead. It is glorious.

Ok, then you have a different perspective to Krsto then. Based on previous conversations he believes the child dies and that's it. No resurrection just eternal death.

Timotheos

Ok, then you have a different perspective to Krsto then. Based on previous conversations he believes the child dies and that's it. No resurrection just eternal death.

My hope is in Jesus Christ for resurrection from the dead and eternal life in Him. I've never seen Krsto deny the general resurrection. If there were no resurrection, then death would be eternal. If there were no morning, then night would be eternal.

Arthur Brain

My hope is in Jesus Christ for resurrection from the dead and eternal life in Him. I've never seen Krsto deny the general resurrection. If there were no resurrection, then death would be eternal. If there were no morning, then night would be eternal.

From previous convos I recall Krsto believing there to be a general resurrection for adults and the 'lost' are judged and annihilated, whereas children, the mentally handicapped etc are simply dead and that's it. He's free to correct me on any of this but it was a big part of our disagreements. If you were unlucky enough to die as a child then you simply had no further life.

Aimiel

I was raised by The Word of God, which I read, on my own. Obviously you don't believe The Bible, too.

Aimiel

Actually, if you were, you'd know He doesn't lie about such things (or ANYTHING for that matter). His Word is Truth.

Timotheos

Actually, if you were, you'd know He doesn't lie about such things (or ANYTHING for that matter). His Word is Truth.

God doesn't lie, however His word doesn't say what you say His word says. According to the Bible the unrepentant wicked are destroyed, not kept undestroyed forever in hell being tormented alive forever.

And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 ESV

Whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life in hell being tormented alive forever. They do not have life at all, according to God's Word, the Bible, which you claim to believe.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
If you were raised by the word of God then you would know that God will not torment men in hell consciously without ever ceasing.

LA

A judge who puts someone in jail to separate them from society is not actively in the jail putting bamboo shoots up their fingernails.

Hell is separation relationally from a holy God, not a medieval torture chamber (Satan is not the king of hell and does not have a pitchfork).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
God doesn't lie, however His word doesn't say what you say His word says. According to the Bible the unrepentant wicked are destroyed, not kept undestroyed forever in hell being tormented alive forever.

And this is the testimony, that God gave us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. Whoever has the Son has life; whoever does not have the Son of God does not have life.
1 John 5:11-12 ESV

Whoever does not have the Son of God does not have eternal life in hell being tormented alive forever. They do not have life at all, according to God's Word, the Bible, which you claim to believe.

Eternal life with God is contrasted with everlasting separation from God. It does not mean (nor have to mean) lack of consciousness.

Timotheos

A judge who puts someone in jail to separate them from society is not actively in the jail putting bamboo shoots up their fingernails.

Hell is separation relationally from a holy God, not a medieval torture chamber (Satan is not the king of hell and does not have a pitchfork).
If a judge found you guilty and sentenced you to death, would you expect to be kept alive with someone putting bamboo shoots up your fingernails? According to the Bible, the wages of sin is death, not torment or "eternal separation".