toldailytopic: Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Depending on the child, there is nothing wrong with spanking, if done right.
Uh.... :duh: :D

You can say that about almost anything, right?

There is nothing wrong with drinking, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with cancer surgery, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with mouth to mouth resuscitation, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with loving a women, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with keeping a monkey as a pet, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with working out, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with flying an airplane, if done right.
There is nothing wrong with walking a tightrope, if done right.

I want to hear an example of....

There is nothing wrong with _______, if done wrong.

:chuckle:

Last edited:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My dear friend, I have a feeling you are going to be complete mush when it comes to disciplining your child.
Your wife will have to be the disciplinarian.
The one thing which I have observed in most men, even the most easy-going, is they will not tolerate misbehavior or disrespect to their wives. And for that we wives are most grateful!

This is hard! My daughter is definately a daddy's girl, and it kills me inside everytime I have to be harsh with her. I do it, though, because I love her.

Nydhogg

My father being Portuguese and all, he had a natural aversion to spanking with objects. The good ol' slap on the back of the head was applied.

Liberally.

Screw up, slap on the back of the head. Serious screw ups, multiple slaps. VERY SERIOUS screw-ups, slaps persisted until you managed to hide somewhere.

Wunderhund

I usually resort to spanking my younger children when I have to tell them more than once to stop doing something or if they break a well established rule. For example no throwing apple cores in the toilet and then flushing the toilet and watch it over flow. My three old does that about twice per week.

Cruciform

:idunno: Possibly because you know nothing about training dogs or children?
What should I do at this point?---assure you that I know quite a bit about both? I could just as well accuse you of ignorant parenting as well. Let me know when you have something intelligent to add. (It's becoming clear why you had to resort to hitting your kids.)

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Beatrice

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 2nd, 2010 11:56 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Of course it is wrong. The idea is preposterous.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I usually resort to spanking my younger children when I have to tell them more than once to stop doing something or if they break a well established rule. For example no throwing apple cores in the toilet and then flushing the toilet and watch it over flow. My three old does that about twice per week.

Yeah, my kid would get a swat on the hind end if he did that too. If you didn't spank him, he would grow up to be destructive.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
if you have to spank, by all means spank
but
it means that you have screwed up as a parent
and
that is not uncommon

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
The first time you smack your kid for hitting other children, you'll have your answer. I wouldn't train my dog by striking it. Why, then, my child? :nono:
As Knight posted, ":idunno: Possibly because you know nothing about training dogs or children?", you clearly have no idea how to train children, or dogs.

I never liked it when my dad would say. "It's going to hurt me more than it hurts you". What? I don't think so! :nono:
I'm guessing you don't have children yet.

Uhg. That is horrible advice.

The entire point of swift punishment is so that the offense is connected with the punishment. Furthermore... I don't want my kids walking on eggshells around me. I want to live together in a loving honest, standup kinda way.

If my kids do something worthy of spanking I immediately grab our spanking spoon and pull them aside. I calmly explain to them what is about to happen and why. I then proceed to give them a couple firm swats on the backside. You must spank so that it hurts, so that they know the punishment was delivered and justice was served (so to speak). Then, we hug and they say they are sorry. Finally, I tell them they are forgiven and we go on about our lives.

Holding unto punishment is wrong according to God.

Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. - Ecclesiastes 8:11
:BRAVO:

Definitely. There is a host of disciplinary alternatives to striking children, and schools employ them every day.
And yet the anarchy persists.:think:

I rarely understand what you are saying. ;)
That's about as often as he knows what he's talking about.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
if you have to spank, by all means spank
but
it means that you have screwed up as a parent
and
that is not uncommon
:hammer: This is moronic post. Kids will misbehave. It isn't the parents that have done wrong. What about the kid who flushed apple cores down the toilet? His parents didn't teach him to do that. Kids get into trouble on their own.

Proverbs 22: 15

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
:hammer: This is moronic post. Kids will misbehave. It isn't the parents that have done wrong. What about the kid who flushed apple cores down the toilet? His parents didn't teach him to do that. Kids get into trouble on their own.

Proverbs 22: 15

Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of correction will drive it far from him.

you would spank kids for flushing apple cores down the toilet?

Cruciform

As Knight posted, ":idunno: Possibly because you know nothing about training dogs or children?", you clearly have no idea how to train children, or dogs.
:yawn: Already answered in Post #66 above.

I'm guessing you don't have children yet.
Like all of your guesses, this one is patently wrong.

A brilliant rationalization for striking one's chldren. All together, now: "YEAAAAA!" :banana:

And yet the anarchy persists.
Guess what?---the "anarchy" (testing boundaries/developing independence) continues for those who hit their kids as well.

That's about as often as he knows what he's talking about.
Wow, an ad hominem barb---ingenious. Let me know when you come up with an actual argument, hmm? :thumb:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That whole Scriptural "rod" bit seems to make the question in the OP purely rhetorical, no? ;)

AMR

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Like all of your guesses, this one is patently wrong.
I wasn't talking to you when I said this.

Guess what?---the "anarchy" (testing boundaries/developing independence) continues for those who hit their kids as well.
:doh:

Not only did you miss the point of the original conversation, you don't know what was meant by the use of the word anarchy.

Wow, an ad hominem barb---ingenious. Let me know when you come up with an actual argument, hmm? :thumb:
This wasn't about you, either.

Cruciform

I wasn't talking to you when I said this.
That's okay. I was talking to you when I answered it.

Not only did you miss the point of the original conversation, you don't know what was meant by the use of the word anarchy.
Unless you've made up your own secret definition, I know precisely what "anarchy" means.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Status
Not open for further replies.