toldailytopic: Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

Yes. You might be angry. Spank them later when you're sure to have cooled off and they've likely forgotten all about it. Then you'll feel better and they'll spend the next few days walking on eggshells.

:plain:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

Yes. You might be angry. Spank them later when you're sure to have cooled off and they've likely forgotten all about it. Then you'll feel better and they'll spend the next few days walking on eggshells.

You should spank them before you get angry. Trust me. I've learned.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
NO ... I did not admit that. In my father's case, he letter his temper rule the punishment and used the belt (or his hands) for stupid *offenses*.

The only thing I learned from his method of discipline is that he couldn't be trusted to discuss or understand any concerns or problems.

I wanted to prove where your heart was. :e4e:

By the way, the hands are not the rod. The paddle or acceptable substitute is just. Getting punched in the head is not. I don't want people thinking that is ok. The anti-spaking Christ hating heathens want to mix the two together.

Cruciform

The first time you smack your kid for hitting other children, you'll have your answer. I wouldn't train my dog by striking it. Why, then, my child? :nono:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

The Berean

I never liked it when my dad would say. "It's going to hurt me more than it hurts you". What? I don't think so! :nono:

Selaphiel

The first time you smack your kid for hitting other children, you'll have your answer. I wouldn't train my dog by striking it. Why, then, my child? :nono:

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

This.

That being said. Some children today could need a good talking to and learn some discipline. There is total anarchy in some of the schools here.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Uhg. That is horrible advice.

The entire point of swift punishment is so that the offense is connected with the punishment. Furthermore... I don't want my kids walking on eggshells around me. I want to live together in a loving honest, standup kinda way.

If my kids do something worthy of spanking I immediately grab our spanking spoon and pull them aside. I calmly explain to them what is about to happen and why. I then proceed to give them a couple firm swats on the backside. You must spank so that it hurts, so that they know the punishment was delivered and justice was served (so to speak). Then, we hug and they say they are sorry. Finally, I tell them they are forgiven and we go on about our lives.

Holding unto punishment is wrong according to God.

Because the sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil. - Ecclesiastes 8:11

Cruciform

This. That being said. Some children today could need a good talking to and learn some discipline. There is total anarchy in some of the schools here.
Definitely. There is a host of disciplinary alternatives to striking children, and schools employ them every day.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

bybee

Well.... that's a bit like saying... "I wish everyone could get along".

Your kids will misbehave. It WILL happen as sure as death and taxes.

Therefore, will you considering spanking as an option or not?

I had a wooden spoon which was displayed prominently on the kitchen counter. When the children were young a couple of swats on the behind delivered immediately post misbehavior did the trick.
Over and done with!
Curiously, none of my five children remember being spanked. They have , all, said "How did you do it mom, you never spanked us?".
Au contraire! Say's I.
Discipline must be early, consistent and meaningful. Then, usually, the job is done.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Discipline must be early, consistent and meaningful. Then, usually, the job is done.
Very true.

My kids (especially my older kids) are very appreciative that we loved them enough to do what was necessary to keep them from becoming the typical modern-day little monsters that you see at the grocery store.

WizardofOz

Depending on the child, there is nothing wrong with spanking, if done right.

I have two sons. Spanking one didn't work and actually backfired. Spanking the other is quite effective.

There are certainly other methods that can work. Spanking need not be the only or even first option.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well it would be if not for...you know...the whole joke thing everyone seems to have missed...as in "walking on eggshells" because they aren't really sure why...oh, nuts. :mmph: :D
I wasn't sure if you were kidding or were being serious, and if I wasn't sure then others reading probably weren't sure either so I answered you as if you meant what you said. Many folks believe in that strategy anyways so it's worth rebutting.

I rarely understand what you are saying. ;)

bybee

Well it would be if not for...you know...the whole joke thing everyone seems to have missed...as in "walking on eggshells" because they aren't really sure why...oh, nuts. :mmph: :D

My dear friend, I have a feeling you are going to be complete mush when it comes to disciplining your child.
Your wife will have to be the disciplinarian.
The one thing which I have observed in most men, even the most easy-going, is they will not tolerate misbehavior or disrespect to their wives. And for that we wives are most grateful!

Status
Not open for further replies.