toldailytopic: Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nydhogg

It was a reply to SeattleFascist about his twisted views on church and government, nothing to do with parenting.
Children are to be educated, and that requires discipline.

Adults, on the other hand... A man is his own master. It is wrong to take dominion or assert authority over another free person (to be free, you've gotta be an adult). Attempts to do so should be met with lethal force on a civilized society.

"You're not the boss of me" is the backbone of civil society.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Though it did make me fear him, my reaction was to learn to be sneaky.

So you admit that it did alter your behavior, which is the mission. If you could not get away with it, the plans of evil were shelved, were they not?

And this goes to another point about your heart that I know to be true.

aSeattleConserv

BANNED
Banned
So as long as your kids are not killing each other, you'll let them do anything they want?

Keep in mind ghost, besides Nydhogg being an anarchist, he's a 23 year old kid that still lives at home, and is allowed to smoke dope in his room.

Also keep in mind, that due to the testicular cancer rate amongst dope smokers, Nydhogg most likely won't be "breeding".

ghost

Hall of Fame
It was a reply to SeattleFascist about his twisted views on church and government, nothing to do with parenting.
Children are to be educated, and that requires discipline.

Adults, on the other hand... A man is his own master. It is wrong to take dominion or assert authority over another free person (to be free, you've gotta be an adult). Attempts to do so should be met with lethal force on a civilized society.

"You're not the boss of me" is the backbone of civil society.
:doh:

I think you would make a great poster child for the very reason we need to be governed as adults.

Nydhogg

I am not a kid. I do not live at home.

In fact, I live a few thousands of miles away from my family.
And I do as I please on my own home, and if someone wants to object, he can talk to my fists or my shotgun (depends on how forcefully they object).

ghost

Hall of Fame
I am not a kid.
Apparently that doesn't prevent you for behaving like one.

In fact, I live a few thousands of miles away from my family. And I do as I please on my own home, and if someone wants to object, he can talk to my fists or my shotgun (depends on how strongly they object).
Easy there Jim Bob. Perhaps you should cut back on the red meat.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you admit that it did alter your behavior, which is the mission. If you could not get away with it, the plans of evil were shelved, were they not?

NO ... I did not admit that. In my father's case, he let his temper rule the punishment and used the belt (or his hands) for stupid *offenses*.

The only thing I learned from his method of discipline is that he couldn't be trusted to discuss or understand any concerns or problems.

Last edited:

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
It's great because it's over and done with and you can quickly move on with life once the punishment is over.
Exactly!

Putting a kid in a corner for fifteen minutes v a quick one or two swats? I will choose the latter for this very reason; that it is over and done with. Even the tears don't last as long. And they don't even cry for the same reasons. In the corner they cry because they're in the corner. With a spanking they cry before the swat because they recognize they have disappointed you. And that is the lesson you want them to learn; not to let you, others, or themselves, down. You don't want them to refrain simply because they dislike the punishment. You want them to refrain because of the consequences apart from the punishment.

It's wrong not to.
Amen!

P.S.
Regarding anger I believe that it is not best to wait until you calm down before spanking, but rather spank before you get angry. If you wait until you have calmed down the child may not understand why you are spanking them, especially the very young ones, because they have such short attention spans.

Also those who use spanking as a last resort tend to be the ones who spank while angry.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I commented on this before, might have started a thread on it. Now I am just not feeling up to all the explaining. In short, it works best when children are at the age where they know what is wrong in there actions. The spanking is more psychological than physical. Later just the idea of a spanking will replace doing it. Something went wrong, if you still have to spank children past age five, although there are times children over the age of five and even into the late latency, being before adolescence, need a spanking, but that should be very seldom.

Hitting children in anger is always wrong! It shows demonstrates that it is alright to use violence in anger, this is abuse and causes abuse.

Spanking is more a pre-verbal communication of disapproval; once a child is able to understand taking away something good, such as play time, or introducing something bad, such as having to go set in his/her room, rather than receiving a spanking, then this is the proper method.

Reinforcement is always better than response cost and punishment; children seek parent approval and should receive plenty of it/

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
He probably weighed the wrong against the punishment and desided to do the wrong anyway.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 2nd, 2010 11:56 AM

toldailytopic: Is it wrong to spank your children when they misbehave?

I was spanked when I was a child and I misbehaved, which is why I'm such a fine, upstanding adult.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I last spanked our son at age 16
Having spent the day at your home, once upon a time, I can attest to the fact that your children are exceptionally well behaved. And if anyone wonders how I can learn that in a day keep in mind he has eight children. Not one of them misbehaved the entire time I was there. With that many children one has to know what they are doing for such an event to take place.

bybee

Having spent the day at your home, once upon a time, I can attest to the fact that your children are exceptionally well behaved. And if anyone wonders how I can learn that in a day keep in mind he has eight children. Not one of them misbehaved the entire time I was there. With that many children one has to know what they are doing for such an event to take place.

To me that accolade testifies to the fact that he pays attention to his children and his children know they are being paid attention. :thumb:
Too many parents do not.

Status
Not open for further replies.