toldailytopic: How do you celebrate Earth Day?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

I celebrate it by laughing at all the original predictions from the first Earth Day in 1970:

“It is already too late to avoid mass starvation.”
- Denis Hayes, chief organizer for Earth Day

“The world has been chilling sharply for about twenty years. If present trends continue, the world will be about four degrees colder for the global mean temperature in 1990, but eleven degrees colder in the year 2000. This is about twice what it would take to put us into an ice age.” - Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“At the present rate of nitrogen buildup, it’s only a matter of time before light will be filtered out of the atmosphere and none of our land will be usable.” - Kenneth Watt, Ecologist

“Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” - Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

“Scientists have solid experimental and theoretical evidence to support…the following predictions: In a decade, urban dwellers will have to wear gas masks to survive air pollution…by 1985 air pollution will have reduced the amount of sunlight reaching earth by one half….”
- Life Magazine, January 1970

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One more classic from our first Earth Day in 1970:

“Demographers agree almost unanimously on the following grim timetable: by 1975 widespread famines will begin in India; these will spread by 1990 to include all of India, Pakistan, China and the Near East, Africa. By the year 2000, or conceivably sooner, South and Central America will exist under famine conditions….By the year 2000, thirty years from now, the entire world, with the exception of Western Europe, North America, and Australia, will be in famine.”
- Peter Gunter, professor, North Texas State University

zoo22

I celebrate it by laughing at all the original predictions from the first Earth Day in 1970:

“Air pollution…is certainly going to take hundreds of thousands of lives in the next few years alone.” - Paul Ehrlich, Stanford University biologist

Why laugh? It did. And it continues to. Well over a million deaths every year are attributed to air pollution, and that number's been steadily rising for decades. Over a million each year in China alone.

Pollution Causes 40 Percent Of Deaths Worldwide

Anyway...

I don't do anything special on earth day, but I sure don't celebrate or laugh about polluting ourselves and the earth.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
liddy-20110421-earthday.JPG

There's no Polar Bears in the area, but I do see an American Bald Eagle.

This Charming Manc

Earth day really passes me bye,

But boy the logic round here.

Liberals are bad
Liberals don't like pollution
Pollution must be good.

I know its tongue in cheek, but speaks of a very limited mentality.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Earth day really passes me bye,

But boy the logic round here.

Liberals are bad
Liberals don't like pollution
Pollution must be good.

I know its tongue in cheek, but speaks of a very limited mentality.
The fact that you think that's the reasoning here shows your limited mentality.

Selaphiel

I have no idea what Earth day even is. I'm not a big fan of these kinds of campaigns (Earth Hour as well), it gives people the illusion they are addressing the problem when all they do is get accolades for their facebook pages.

That said however, opposing it by actively polluting it is both ignorant and childish. Anthropogenic global warming is a well supported scientific view with a >97% consensus among relevant experts (that is people with a PhD in a field that is relevant to climate studies). Here are some institutions that support the consensus:

American Association for the Advancement of Science
American Astronomical Society
American Chemical Society
American Geophysical Union
American Institute of Physics
American Meteorological Society
American Physical Society
Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
Australian Bureau of Meteorology and the CSIRO
British Antarctic Survey
Canadian Foundation for Climate and Atmospheric Sciences
Canadian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society
Environmental Protection Agency
European Federation of Geologists
European Geosciences Union
European Physical Society
Federation of American Scientists
Federation of Australian Scientific and Technological Societies
Geological Society of America
Geological Society of Australia
Geological Society of London
International Union for Quaternary Research (INQUA)
International Union of Geodesy and Geophysics
National Center for Atmospheric Research
National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
Royal Meteorological Society
Royal Society of the UK

(Source: http://www.skepticalscience.com/global-warming-scientific-consensus-intermediate.htm)

Last edited:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
liddy-20110421-earthday.JPG

There's no Polar Bears in the area, but I do see an American Bald Eagle.

You would grill a bald eagle? Or joke about doing it? :AMR:
That might be the most un-American thing you can do.
Will you use an American flag as a napkin or toilet paper too? :plain:

:Commie:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
You would grill a bald eagle? Or joke about doing it? :AMR:
That might be the most un-American thing you can do.
Will you use an American flag as a napkin or toilet paper too? :plain:

:Commie:

You really should try eating an American Bald Eagle sometime km; it tastes kinda like the Mexican Spotted Owl, although if cooked properly, more like the California Condor.
http://www.blm.gov/ut/st/en/fo/st__...pecial_status_species/t___e_species_list.html

Oh my, it's lunch time. Mmmmm, Desert Tortoise soup is best the next day.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I chose my most politically incorrect avatar for Earth day. :chuckle: It was actually a tie between this one and the cannon fire Tree fort.

Doormat

Revelation 11:18 And the nations were angry, and thy wrath is come, and the time of the dead, that they should be judged, and that thou shouldest give reward unto thy servants the prophets, and to the saints, and them that fear thy name, small and great; and shouldest destroy them which destroy the earth.

Obviously an Earth Day holiday isn't enough compensation.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

I don't celebrate Earth Day.