The Gospel Plus Nothing and Nothing But the Gospel

Robert Pate

Banned
Yes, I have done this before. This was the motto for Verdict Publications for many years. Verdict was a theological publication that was supported by a group of Christian scholars for about 20 years. I was also a supporter of Verdict, but I am not a scholar. However, some of what they wrote rubbed off on me.

Only a small percentage of professing Christians know and understand the Gospel. The reason for this is that many believe that it is the Gospel plus their religion or the Gospel plus whatever it is that they believe. This is why Verdict's motto was "The Gospel Plus Nothing and Nothing But the Gospel". There is no room in the Gospel for Calvinism, Catholicism, or any man conceived religions.

Paul and the apostles did not have a religion. All that they had was faith in Christ, however they were constantly battling those that wanted to introduce Judaism and the law into the Gospel. There were many Judaizers in the early church. A Judaizer is someone that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law. There are many Judaizers today, some are on the Forum.

What many do not understand is that the law is the very nature and character of God. To do or to keep the law you would have to be, not like Christ, you would have to be Christ, who is the epitome of God's Holy Law. The law demands absolute and total perfection, anything less than perfection is sin. This is why Paul wrote...

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Having established that religion and law keeping will not save, let us move on to what the Gospel is. The Gospel is that work that Jesus did in our name and on our behalf. Jesus is God's new Adam and our representative. A representative is someone that acts for you. Jesus as our representative has offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to God's Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf, just like we did it ourselves. It was the life of Jesus that was lived for our justification.

"To declare, I say, at this time His righteousness: that he might be just and the justifier of him which believes in Jesus" Romans 3:26.

It is because of the righteous life of Jesus that we can stand before God in the judgment as just and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus, God now sees us as perfect and complete in Christ.

When Jesus died on the cross, we died with him. This is why Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live" Galatians 2:20. God has put to death the old sinful Adamic race in Jesus Christ.

"Knowing this, that our old man (Adam) is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin" Romans 6:6.

In the Gospel the law has been fulfilled for us and our sins and the sins of the world have been destroyed, 1 John 2:2. Jesus as our representative has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil, Colossians 2:15. God now sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's new humanity and is the savior of the world, John 12:47. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we have been reconciled to God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. God now sees us as new creations in Jesus Christ.

"If any man be in Christ he is a new creation: old things have passed away; behold all things have become new" 2 Corinthians 5:17.

The Gospel is God's great free gift for all of humanity. Is this Gospel Yours? Are you resting in Christ and his Gospel? Hebrews 4:10, or are you still trying to be good enough? Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. No need to be predestinated. No need for any religion. We are saved by faith and by faith alone, this is why it is... "The Gospel Plus Nothing and Nothing But the Gospel.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Paul and the apostles did not have a religion. All that they had was faith in Christ...

The problem with your theory is that Christ is a priest and priests promote love and charity, which is responding to the needs of others.

In 1 Corinthians 13:13 Paul said, "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Priests promote love, hope, faith.

So what is religion?

James said, "Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27 NET)

Why do you say Paul and the apostles did not have a Priest? You said , "All that they had was faith in Christ."

So of what value is faith if it is not demonstrated for the benefit and good of others through pure and undefiled religion?

If you don't have the High Priest you don't have nothin'.

beloved57

Yes, I have done this before. This was the motto for Verdict Publications for many years. Verdict was a theological publication that was supported by a group of Christian scholars for about 20 years. I was also a supporter of Verdict, but I am not a scholar. However, some of what they wrote rubbed off on me.

Only a small percentage of professing Christians know and understand the Gospel. The reason for this is that many believe that it is the Gospel plus their religion or the Gospel plus whatever it is that they believe. This is why Verdict's motto was "The Gospel Plus Nothing and Nothing But the Gospel". There is no room in the Gospel for Calvinism, Catholicism, or any man conceived religions.

Paul and the apostles did not have a religion. All that they had was faith in Christ, however they were constantly battling those that wanted to introduce Judaism and the law into the Gospel. There were many Judaizers in the early church. A Judaizer is someone that believes in Jesus, but also believes that you must keep the law. There are many Judaizers today, some are on the Forum.

What many do not understand is that the law is the very nature and character of God. To do or to keep the law you would have to be, not like Christ, you would have to be Christ, who is the epitome of God's Holy Law. The law demands absolute and total perfection, anything less than perfection is sin. This is why Paul wrote...

"Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin" Romans 3:20.

Having established that religion and law keeping will not save, let us move on to what the Gospel is. The Gospel is that work that Jesus did in our name and on our behalf. Jesus is God's new Adam and our representative. A representative is someone that acts for you. Jesus as our representative has offered to God the Father a life of perfect obedience according to God's Holy Law. He did this in our name and on our behalf, just like we did it ourselves. It was the life of Jesus that was lived for our justification.

"To declare, I say, at this time His righteousness: that he might be just and the justifier of him which believes in Jesus" Romans 3:26.

It is because of the righteous life of Jesus that we can stand before God in the judgment as just and complete in Christ, Colossians 2:10. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus, God now sees us as perfect and complete in Christ.

When Jesus died on the cross, we died with him. This is why Paul said, "I have been crucified with Christ, nevertheless I live" Galatians 2:20. God has put to death the old sinful Adamic race in Jesus Christ.

"Knowing this, that our old man (Adam) is crucified with him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin" Romans 6:6.

In the Gospel the law has been fulfilled for us and our sins and the sins of the world have been destroyed, 1 John 2:2. Jesus as our representative has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil, Colossians 2:15. God now sees ALL THINGS in his Son Jesus Christ. Jesus is God's new humanity and is the savior of the world, John 12:47. Because of the doing and the dying of Jesus we have been reconciled to God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. God now sees us as new creations in Jesus Christ.

"If any man be in Christ he is a new creation: old things have passed away; behold all things have become new" 2 Corinthians 5:17.

The Gospel is God's great free gift for all of humanity. Is this Gospel Yours? Are you resting in Christ and his Gospel? Hebrews 4:10, or are you still trying to be good enough? Jesus has done it all and he did it perfectly. No need to be predestinated. No need for any religion. We are saved by faith and by faith alone, this is why it is... "The Gospel Plus Nothing and Nothing But the Gospel.

Any man teaching that Jesus Christs blood didnt save the sinners He shed it for, is an enemy to the Gospel of Christ.

Robert Pate

Banned
The problem with your theory is that Christ is a priest and priests promote love and charity, which is responding to the needs of others.

In 1 Corinthians 13:13 Paul said, "And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

Priests promote love, hope, faith.

So what is religion?

James said, "Pure and undefiled religion before God the Father is this: to care for orphans and widows in their misfortune and to keep oneself unstained by the world." (James 1:27 NET)

Why do you say Paul and the apostles did not have a Priest? You said , "All that they had was faith in Christ."

So of what value is faith if it is not demonstrated for the benefit and good of others through pure and undefiled religion?

If you don't have the High Priest you don't have nothin'.

We have a High Priest. He is in heaven at the right hand of God, Hebrews 1:3. "For such a high priest became us, who is holy, harmless, undefiled, separate from sinners and made higher than the heavens" Hebrews 7:26. All who have faith in him has his Spirit and will do good works.

Robert Pate

Banned
And what do priests do? They promote pure and undefiled religion.

Your priest is in heaven but not in your heart.

Maybe your priest does that.

My priest is at the right hand of God mediating his righteousness on my behalf.

Samie

The Gospel is God's great free gift for all of humanity. Is this Gospel Yours? Are you resting in Christ and his Gospel?
I don't think you know the Gospel of Christ, do you? It seems you Know it, but you can't cite from Scriptures the Gospel that Christ preached, can you? You can't because you know that the Gospel He preached is different from the gospel that you preach.

musterion

"By virtue of the fact that we are identified with Christ, we as believers share in a judgment with Him that can never be repeated. Thus we shall face Him as the Living Redeemer in the air - not as the awesome Judge before the Great White Throne."

Robert Pate

Banned
I don't think you know the Gospel of Christ, do you? It seems you Know it, but you can't cite from Scriptures the Gospel that Christ preached, can you? You can't because you know that the Gospel He preached is different from the gospel that you preach.

Jesus didn't preach the Gospel that justifies the ungodly, Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. He left that up to the apostles.

Robert Pate

Banned
Cool, since Paul said the Father is one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all. (Ephesians 4:6)

If the Father is in us then we must be in heaven.

The Father is present in the Holy Spirit as is Christ, but the Bible leaves him in heaven.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Father is present in the Holy Spirit as is Christ, but the Bible leaves him in heaven.

Where does the Spirit of the Father dwell?

Romans 8:11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.​

Ben Masada

The Gospel plus nothing and nothing but the Gospel.

Agreed but, the bottom line is, which Gospel, the gospel of Jesus aka the Tanach or the Gospel of Paul aka the NT?

Robert Pate

Banned
The Gospel plus nothing and nothing but the Gospel.

Agreed but, the bottom line is, which Gospel, the gospel of Jesus aka the Tanach or the Gospel of Paul aka the NT?

There is only one Gospel that justifies the ungodly Romans 4:5 and reconciles us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. It is the Gospel that Paul received from Jesus Christ, Galatians 1:11, 12.

It is the same Gospel that was preached by your brother Peter on the day of Pentecost, Acts 2:14-47.