Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: service observation

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry service observation

Just an observation (don't want you all to think I do nothing but complain...)

What is up with general customer service these days? Either companies are not hiring good people, or they aren't training people and getting them spun up in their job well. It just seems like companies don't try hard anymore to please people. Yeah, they post all these elaborate "policies" and stuff, but the employees are taught not to follow them...they have to be efficient...get as many people out the door as possible...answer as many phone calls as you can....solve those problems quickly and get on to the next call.....and they're taught not to spend time on anyone and make them feel well treated. It's all about numbers....and they have people sitting in these secret rooms just crunching numbers and doing spreadsheets and algorithms to calculate numbers to measure how well employees do. I worked at Wells Fargo Home Mortgage, and even though the numbers would say otherwise, I think the employee who spent time fixing a botched up loan and got it to the closing table correctly and on time keeping the homebuyer from being homeless and losing his home is a better employee than the cranky girl in the next cubicle who may be really fast and answering phones and talking but provides no welcoming personal touch but remains at the top of the list for number of calls taken.

To put things in perspective:
    Within the course of a week I....
    1) Had to call Dominoes because a pizza was very late
    2) Had to get a refund from iTunes because of problems and lack of service
    3) Had to have my wife claim a refund from USPS Express Mail because it was not delivered even close to within the guaranteed time.

This is just wrong, and it shouldn't be like this. It should be about people, not numbers.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: service observation

Originally posted by october

This is just wrong, and it shouldn't be like this. It should be about people, not numbers.
    You'll have to get over it. Numbers make money, not people.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. I think the problem is that people just don't have pride in their work anymore. It's kind of hard to when you're working for 5 bucks an hour.
    says: "Visit Spammer's Paradise today."

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes. Mr 5020, I am over it.....it's not efficient for companies to really care about people. they say they do, but they don't. it doesn't make money. It's "do the minimum necessary to get the job done or customer satisfied, but we'll write all these elaborate policies so that we look good when we're investigated or sued."

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A person is more likely to be a repeat customer if they get a full refund. Companies know this so they just give the person the refund and don't give a darn whether the person is satisfied or not.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah. that is also true. Sometimes, on the inside, employees really get yelled at if somone has to get a refund....I used to get tons of lectures at Wells Fargo about how much money the company eats giving out refunds and paying fees for botched up closings and appraisal fees and stuff.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The average customer will spend around ten grand at one store (for instance Wal-Mart or Lowe's) over a lifetime and the store usually would rather lose twenty bucks to get the ten grand.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it's way more than 10k. We used to grocery shop at walmart.....say we spend 400 a month.....that's 4800 a year on groceries. in 10 years of groceryshopping at walmart (not to mention other stuff you may get there) that's 48K on groceries at walmart.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's true.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes. Mr 5020, I am over it.....it's not efficient for companies to really care about people. they say they do, but they don't. it doesn't make money. It's "do the minimum necessary to get the job done or customer satisfied, but we'll write all these elaborate policies so that we look good when we're investigated or sued."
    And the employees have what incentive for doing better than that?

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's kind of my point, 5020. The employees have no incentive for doing anything extra.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They have their pay. And pride in their job. Why should we pay them for mediocre service?

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know from my own experience from working with the public and also my son's in retail, that you can start in the job with the ideals of creating/maintaining good customer relations...but pretty soon, you see that a good deal of customers don't give a flying patootie about being polite to in the least. Yet you stand there day after say, smiling and putting out the "hello. How are you ?"etc and even going out of your way to assist them with things you don't even need to, but they still treat you like doodoo!
    For the small pay yu get an hour, my son finally decided he hates retail and the cows that go with it on the other side of the cash register! Can't say I blame him!
    "And the Lord's servant must not quarrel; instead, he MUST BE KIND TO EVERYONE...Those who oppose him he must GENTLY instruct, in the hope that God will grant them repentance, leading them to a knowledge of the truth, and that they will come to their senses..." 2Tim 2:24-26

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have their pay. And pride in their job. Why should we pay them for mediocre service?
    Postal workers perhaps, but there's no way you call tell me a Dominos worker has either.

Over 750 post club
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally posted by julie21

I know from my own experience from working with the public and also my son's in retail, that you can start in the job with the ideals of creating/maintaining good customer relations...but pretty soon, you see that a good deal of customers don't give a flying patootie about being polite to in the least. Yet you stand there day after say, smiling and putting out the "hello. How are you ?"etc and even going out of your way to assist them with things you don't even need to, but they still treat you like doodoo!
    For the small pay yu get an hour, my son finally decided he hates retail and the cows that go with it on the other side of the cash register! Can't say I blame him!
    You have cows as customers in Aussieland?

I know how your son feels, though. I've worked in a few hotels and guests can be real jerks. And I hate to say it because I know we have several that post here, but the worst guests by far (as a whole) are hockey parents.

Thread Information