toldailytopic: Have you been following the Kermitt Gosnell trial? Has it affected you

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for April 12th, 2013 10:47 AM

toldailytopic: Have you been following the Kermitt Gosnell trial? Has it affected your view of abortion providers in any way?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I first read about Gosnell in Slate in 2010 (to their credit they've stayed with this story when other outfits have not). The initial reports were horrific. Unbelievably, the story's managed to get worse.

This creature truly is a one-of-a-kind, virtually unimaginable monster.

Alate_One

I'd read about this before, but the Atlantic story went into even more detail. I've heard of bad clinics before but this is almost unbelievable. I really felt quite ill after reading the story.

The sad fact was nearly everything going on there was already illegal, there was simply no enforcement.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
I'd read about this before, but the Atlantic story went into even more detail. I've heard of bad clinics before but this is almost unbelievable. I really felt quite ill after reading the story.

The sad fact was nearly everything going on there was already illegal, there was simply no enforcement.

And this is what didn't surprise me. That the liberal bent would point to the regulations and the moral law.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Yes, only because I watch Fox News . . .

I doubt the gruesomeness that occurred in this slaughter-house is the reason main-stream media is staying away.

But then, maybe the gruesomeness of the abortions committed ARE the reason they are not covering this story.

It will all eventually come out, and from what I gather, when it does, it is going to be worse than reading about "Jack The Ripper!"

May justice be swift against this monster . . .

Nang

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Have you been following the Kermitt Gosnell trial? Has it affected your view of abortion providers in any way?

Mostly only what I catch on Facebook. I remember Bob covering it when Kermit was arrested. That's about it.

It has not affected my view of butchers in any way.

Mama Etna

Sassy and Ashy Mountain
I catch it on the web. How has it affected me? Disgust. How can a guy get away with something so disgusting and evil for so long? And the media's refusal to cover it. The media doesn't want the abortion industry to be embarrassed.

CRASH

TOL Subscriber
Our country has a gaggle of abortionists. Open your eyes, they are all a special kind of evil - just like Gosnell.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Abortion debate inflamed by horrific details in trial of Philadelphia doctor

PHILADELPHIA — The trial resumed just before 11:30 a.m. Monday in a downtown courtroom, as Judge Jeffrey P. Minehart entered Courtroom 304.

“It’s come to my attention that media coverage of this case has increased,” Minehart told the jurors, who could see for themselves how right he was.

Reporters from the New York Times, The Washington Post, the Wall Street Journal and Fox News had settled in alongside a handful of local and wire service reporters to hear the latest testimony regarding the case of Kermit Gosnell, a 72-year-old abortion provider who faces charges of murdering seven infants whose spines he allegedly snipped with scissors when they were born after induced labor at his West Philadelphia clinic.

Nearly a month after it began, Gosnell’s trial last week finally was at the center of a national spotlight. Once treated largely as an eccentric, if gruesome, local story about a man accused of unthinkable crimes against babies and recklessness toward the women he treated, the case has taken on new significance in recent days, connecting the hot-button issues of abortion, race, media and even guns in a horror-movie narrative.

Other than a smattering of coverage after Gosnell was indicted in 2011, the trial has garnered little attention until an outcry in recent days, largely from conservative pundits and lawmakers, but also from media watchdogs.

“If Dr. Gosnell had walked into a nursery and shot seven infants with an AR-15, it would be national news and the subject of presidential hand-wringing,” Rep. Christopher H. Smith (R-N.J.), an abortion opponent, said in a floor speech, reading from an editorial in Investor’s Business Daily.

“This should be front page news,” Fox News analyst and USA Today contributor Kirsten Powers proclaimed last week.

“This ought to be a big story on the merits,” wrote the Atlantic’s Conor Friedersdorf.

“By any standard, this is a newsworthy trial,” wrote Bloomberg columnist and Atlantic reporter Jeffrey Goldberg.

Washington Post editor Martin Baron agreed that the story deserved more coverage and said the paper should have reported on it sooner. The public editor of the New York Times said the case “deserves more coverage than it’s had, in The Times and elsewhere.”