GUNS!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Never bothered trying to kill things with them. That's what my Daisy 880 was for. :)

images_Daisy-880_326.jpg

I had one of those. Until the old man bent the barrel in a vise so we couldn't put holes in things any more. Now I have a Ruger Air Hawk for violators in my back yard.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
We probably read the same article about building a lower receiver from a 3-D printer. These printers are not cheap. They are worth more than the guns they would build. My understanding may be off, but I believe 3-D printers are somewhat the same as SLA machines. The SLA machines I used could build whatever parts I designed so long as I gave the machine an *.stl file format of the CAD part. SLA parts made this way are rigid plastic, but they are somewhat susceptible to UV. I imagine 3-D printers have solved that issue.

I have seen sheet metal stampings that can be turned into an AK receiver and AR receivers that just need drilling and tapping. The nice thing about these for the machining enthusiast is that you can mail order the parts. I haven't done it because I don't have a break for bending the sheet metal or a decent drill press or mill for the AR unfinished receiver.

:plain: 3D Printer Update...

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2013/03/2...dable-firearm-is-almost-real/?singlepage=true

I'm still skeptical about the ability to generate the barrel/chamber/bolt in this way. :think:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
A lower or upper receiver? I don't see how that can happen either way.

:think: I think S.O.B.G. mean that the AK can be manufactured from sheet metal and the milled receiver for an AR can be bought unfinished.

AKM's don't really have "upper" recievers and...Well, if you tried to make a sheet metal AR-15 it wouldn't be an AR-15. :nono:

It would be an AR-18. :plain:

I'm going to add to my handgun collection sometime in the next month. Does anyone have any thoughts on the following:
  • Smith & Wesson Model 60, .357 Magnum
  • CZ 83, .380 ACP
  • Tokarev (Jugoslavian), 7.62x25
  • Glock Model 32, 357 Sig (I already have a Glock Model 33 with two barrels, .40 S&W and .357 Sig)
  • Sig Sauer P238, .380 ACP
  • another 1911, .45 ACP (I have a basic Colt Commander and a tricked out full size Sig 1911. I'd be looking to compliment what I have and would likely consider only Colt, Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory.)
  • Glock 36, .45 ACP
  • Glock 21SF, .45 ACP
If I found a Colt 1908 (.380 ACP) or a CZ-75 Compact (9 mm), I'd have to buy it if the price was somewhat reasonable.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I'm going to add to my handgun collection sometime in the next month. Does anyone have any thoughts on the following:
  • Smith & Wesson Model 60, .357 Magnum
  • CZ 83, .380 ACP
  • Tokarev (Jugoslavian), 7.62x25
  • Glock Model 32, 357 Sig (I already have a Glock Model 33 with two barrels, .40 S&W and .357 Sig)
  • Sig Sauer P238, .380 ACP
  • another 1911, .45 ACP (I have a basic Colt Commander and a tricked out full size Sig 1911. I'd be looking to compliment what I have and would likely consider only Colt, Sig Sauer and Springfield Armory.)
  • Glock 36, .45 ACP
  • Glock 21SF, .45 ACP
If I found a Colt 1908 (.380 ACP) or a CZ-75 Compact (9 mm), I'd have to buy it if the price was somewhat reasonable.

Of the above list, I have in my collection;

1911 A1 45 ACP by Springfield Armory (carried inside belt, in the back)

XD 45 ACP by Springfield (carried same as the 1911 A1)

Model 60 357 by Smith & Wesson (carried right side shoulder holster)

CZ 83 380 ACP (carried as back up, ankle gun)

Have found all to be well made and have had no problems with reliability or accuracy, you would probably enjoy them.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm not a big fan of the .380 round simply because 9mm is so much more affordable and readily available. I would, however, buy a .380 if the gun was so cheap I couldn't pass it up, but then I would have to invest in another set of dies.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Yes sir it wasn't long ago you could get a cheap 380 for about $140.00, now days it looks like $300.00 is the going rate if and when you can find them.

Of the above list, I have in my collection;

1911 A1 45 ACP by Springfield Armory (carried inside belt, in the back)

XD 45 ACP by Springfield (carried same as the 1911 A1)

Model 60 357 by Smith & Wesson (carried right side shoulder holster)

CZ 83 380 ACP (carried as back up, ankle gun)

Have found all to be well made and have had no problems with reliability or accuracy, you would probably enjoy them.
This has been very helpful. Thank you. A friend of mine has an XDs .45 ACP, and he's very pleased with it.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes sir it wasn't long ago you could get a cheap 380 for about $140.00, now days it looks like $300.00 is the going rate if and when you can find them.

It is always going to be hard to find a good deal on a nice weapon when there is a person in the White House who is anti gun. Currently the only way to do it is to have cash at the ready when some poor schmuck decides he can't afford to keep it.

I'm not a big fan of the .380 round simply because 9mm is so much more affordable and readily available. I would, however, buy a .380 if the gun was so cheap I couldn't pass it up, but then I would have to invest in another set of dies.
I'm not a big fan of the .380 ACP either. But the Sig P-238 could be comfortably hidden and carried where my primary carry piece (Glock 26/27/33) could not.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I probably shouldn't badmouth the .380. My pocket pistol is a Taurus PT-22. Sure fits my hand nice for a pea shooter though.

images

I bought my wife a Beretta 950BS (.25 ACP) to carry in her pocket or purse. But that gun is punishing to shoot. She and I would rather shoot a .40 S&W Glock.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Maybe your wife needs a bigger purse. I do love shooting my big guns! I have a .45 acp and 3 cap and ball .44s. The .22 is a fun little gun though and it sure is cheap to feed!

Maybe your wife needs a bigger purse. I do love shooting my big guns! I have a .45 acp and 3 cap and ball .44s. The .22 is a fun little gun though and it sure is cheap to feed!
I have a Walther P-22 and it's a ball to shoot. As for my wife, she needs to clean out the "non-essentials" from her purse. She has two purses designed for concealed carry. Her Glock 27 fits in either one quite nicely with the "non-essentials" removed.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have a Walther P-22 and it's a ball to shoot. As for my wife, she needs to clean out the "non-essentials" from her purse. She has two purses designed for concealed carry. Her Glock 27 fits in either one quite nicely with the "non-essentials" removed.

"designed for concealed carry" Does that mean the holster is built in?

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
It is always going to be hard to find a good deal on a nice weapon when there is a person in the White House who is anti gun. Currently the only way to do it is to have cash at the ready when some poor schmuck decides he can't afford to keep it.

Yes sir I gotta agree with you there, but my gun buying days are over except for maybe one or two specials I'm thinking about.