toldailytopic: Sports. In your opinion, what is the most boring major league sport?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think you're confusing soccer and baseball. In baseball a pitchers best moment leaves everyone standing around killing time (a no-hitter).

Most boring thing for me to watch is baseball, golf and NASCAR. Indy car racing can be pretty intense though.

Well in soccer you can run back and forth and not contribute to the game. At least in baseball even a no-hitter demands the outfield to remain sharp and field extremely well. To say nothing of the catcher calling the game.

Memento Mori

Well in soccer you can run back and forth and not contribute to the game. At least in baseball even a no-hitter demands the outfield to remain sharp and field extremely well. To say nothing of the catcher calling the game.

Soccer requires timing, opportunity, speed, and stamina.

Remain sharp? I suppose if you call watching two guys play catch, staying sharp, sure.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Soccer requires timing, opportunity, speed, and stamina.

So does baseball. But not constantly. The suspense of the game is part of its appeal.

Remain sharp? I suppose if you call watching two guys play catch, staying sharp, sure.

Oh come on! The game can turn on a dime. Soccer can easily become a game of catch up for those not involved in the action.

:think:

I wonder what all this means in terms of psychology. I mean, it's obvious everyone here values different facets of their favorite games for particular reasons and places on a premium on certain skill sets.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
If soccer counts, then... soccer. A 10 second highlite reel is all I might be interested in. They are very talented, but the field is too big, too many players, game is too long.
If we're talking football, basketball, hockey, baseball, then... baseball. Although I watch the world series and actually get into it some years, the regular season has way too many games for me to care about.

I wish Rugby was more popular in the US. Thats a crazy game I like to watch.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Well in soccer you can run back and forth and not contribute to the game.

Not for long. Every position is critical. The running is to cut off passing lanes, open the field for other players, draw defenders, etc. If even one player is not doing the right thing, the other team will take advantage of it. I used to think that people were insane when they said soccer is boring. But I think it's a little like baseball. The batter shifts position a bit, and then the infield and outfield suddenly all change in response. I don't get it, because I don't understand the intricacies of the game, but I can appreciated the ability that such fine responses require.

I loved coaching against guys who thought there were "useless positions" or places you could hide a poor player. Everyone of those is a weakness to be exploited.

One of my daughters was a midfielder. When she transferred to a different school, they made her a forward specifically to draw defenders. She had great dribbling skills, and could hold onto the ball under pressure. Eventually, she'd get in front of the goal, draw off several defenders trying to stop her, and another forward would be open to shoot. Quick pass, and it's an easy goal.

At least in baseball even a no-hitter demands the outfield to remain sharp and field extremely well.

The technology of attack is so well worked out in soccer that a single error by the defense is often enough to decide the game.

To say nothing of the catcher calling the game.

Watch the keeper during a soccer game where he never has to touch the ball. If he's good, he's directing the defense, and his direction has much to do with the reason he doesn't have to touch it.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Although soccer is the world's biggest major league sport in terms of attendence, revenue, number of fans, etc., it is unlikely to challenge football for the American television sports fan.

It doesn't fit the business model. For the advertisers, there must be time out where they can slip in some ads. Soccer really doesn't pay like football does.

So the league goes in for dancers in brief costumes, lots of glitz in halftime shows, and so on. It keeps people watching. The quality of the professional game has declined, even as revenues go up. And since so few football fans have actually played the game, they don't notice.

If you watch old films of football played in the 30s and 40s, you'll see exciting games. Over the years, it's become a smoother and less exciting product.

Status
Not open for further replies.