Theology Club: What is Open Theism?

Dialogos

I don't care who you are. 'time' dilation is not dilation of an objective thing called time. The theory is about the perception of relative change. If you want to call that 'time' then fine, as most people do. But it's still just a convention. Time is not a dimension of the universe, it's a construct for social purposes.
That's not what Einstein thought. Einstein thought that time was a dimension of the universe and that it was inextricably tied to space. You are of course, free to disagree with Einstein but my hunch is that you just don't get the theory of special or general relativity enough to realize that you disagree.

Here are just a few resources for you to actually learn what Einstein taught so that you can stop looking foolish and begin to represent the theory correctly.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/hotsciencetwin/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/einsteins-special-relativity.html
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/HEP/QuarkNet/time.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/timedilation.html

On the other hand, you can continue to spout nonsense if you like. I know that when one's mind is made up they sometimes don't like to be confused with the facts.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
As much as you might want it to be, that is not an answer.

You're passing off everlasting as though it means infinite into the past, when it doesn't necessarily mean that at all.

Something can have a beginning and still be eternal/everlasting.

Everything.
Can you back that up with Scripture or is it an argument from silence?

In other words, do[es] the relevant Scripture actually make the statement that God is the beginning and the end of everything?

And if God is the beginning how is He if infinite regression is true?

It doesn't say He has a beginning and and end, it says He is the beginning and the end.
Can you explain how this is so if God has no beginning?

God is bigger than time.
How can God be bigger than something that doesn't actually exist?

No, its "...declaring the end from the beginning."
Irrelevant to the fact that you said it backwards.

He declares from ancient times things not yet done. That's what the text says. He does what the mute and dumb idols can't do, he can tell the future.
He does a lot of things idols can't do; so do I. Wanna know why? Because I, like God, am not immutable or impassable.

Also, do you not see how you have contradicted your own argument; God declares that which is not yet [i.e. has not yet come to pass]; this means there are things that haven't happened from His perspective.

And declaring His plans is not the same as being psychic.

I don't. I'm the one who holds to a theory of timelessness remember. You are the one arguing that time is constant and God is variable. I argue that God is constant and time is variable.
:bang:

Learn to read: you are assuming our beliefs.

So, again, I ask you, why do you assume we believe those things?

Yes, Heaven has elapsed time. God is bigger than heaven.
No.

The definition of Heaven is the presence of God; so, where He is is Heaven.

And most who want to argue that God is outside of time make the same argument regarding Heaven where those in Christ spend eternity after leaving mortality behind; and where all of us will be when this world ends [they argue that there will then be no more time]. This is irreconcilable with John's statement as it is a revelation of a vision of the future, when Earth has passed [and thus time, as they believe].

Do you hold a different view, then?

Yes, which means that God can experience time in any and all inertial frames of references.
Point?

Isn't it your argument that God can also experience a "no time"?

And if such is the case, how exactly does God do anything in that environment, in which there is not a passage of moments, from one to the next?

Conclusion: Einstein is probably right, you, Desert Reign and Bob Enyart are probably wrong. Time is relative (not constant) and God is able to experience all temporal fluctuations due to his omnipresence which means that God is not limited by time.
Probably? Is that the best you can come up with?

Can you even at least try to come up with some support from His word on this?

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's not what Einstein thought. Einstein thought that time was a dimension of the universe and that it was inextricably tied to space. You are of course, free to disagree with Einstein but my hunch is that you just don't get the theory of special or general relativity enough to realize that you disagree.

Here are just a few resources for you to actually learn what Einstein taught so that you can stop looking foolish and begin to represent the theory correctly.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/einstein/hotsciencetwin/

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/einsteins-special-relativity.html
http://www.phy.olemiss.edu/HEP/QuarkNet/time.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
http://www.thebigview.com/spacetime/timedilation.html

On the other hand, you can continue to spout nonsense if you like. I know that when one's mind is made up they sometimes don't like to be confused with the facts.

The wiki article is exactly how I understand the concept of time dilation. It is you who are misreading it. The clocks do not measure time, all they do is tick at a constant rate. The passage of time is merely an inference that you as a being of lesser intelligence cannot divorce from your own thought processes. That inference is derived from the fact that the two clocks beat at a constant rate relative to each other but that does not mean that there is some absolute thing in the world called time.

Einstein was right (so it seems). But you are not.

Last edited:

Dialogos

The wiki article is exactly how I understand the concept of time dilation.
Great, so you agree with the following then.
In the theory of relativity, time dilation is an actual difference of elapsed time between two events as measured by observers either moving relative to each other or differently situated from gravitational masses.
An accurate clock at rest with respect to one observer may be measured to tick at a different rate when compared to a second observer's own equally accurate clocks. This effect arises neither from technical aspects of the clocks nor from the fact that signals need time to propagate, but from the nature of spacetime itself.
Which is to say that the clocks don't stop keeping accurate time, nor is it a problem of measurement but that people actually experience elapsed time differently relative to velocity (as Einstein predicted).

Desert Reign said:
It is you who are misreading it. The clocks do not measure time, all they do is tick at a constant rate.
This is your understanding, that clocks don't measure time? What in the blue blazes do they measure then? Here I am looking at my watch expecting that it will measure time when all the while I should have been using it to do what, measure height? Should I weigh myself with the clock on the wall?

Don't be absurd. Clocks measure time.
The units of time may be relative (determined by the rate of revolution of the earth) but nobody (except perhaps you) thinks that clocks are designed to measure anything other than time.

Desert Reign said:
The passage of time is merely an inference that you as a being of lesser intelligence cannot divorce from your own thought processes.
Ah, now the Ad Hominem attacks start mounting.

Note to observers, when people realize they are wrong they often resort to insulting their opponent because sound arguments are no longer available to them. We'll see Desert Reign and Lighthouse begin to to this more and more as they see that their arguments can't be scripturally, scientifically or logically supported.

Desert Reign said:
That inference is derived from the fact that the two clocks beat at a constant rate relative to each other but that does not mean that there is some absolute thing in the world called time.
My point exactly. Unfortunately you can't seem to see how this is a big hurdle for the Open View which relies on time being absolute. If Time is not absolute then it must be relative. And if it is relative it must be relative to something. And the best conclusion to what time is relative to is to say that time is relative to the rest of the physical universe, which is created.

Thus time (at least the time that you and I experience) is created.

Desert Reign said:
Einstein was right (so it seems).
No arguments here.

Incidentally, Godrulz actually gets his own position enough to understand that Einstein being right is a problem for the open view.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Great, so you agree with the following then.

Which is to say that the clocks don't stop keeping accurate time, nor is it a problem of measurement but that people actually experience elapsed time differently relative to velocity (as Einstein predicted).

This is your understanding, that clocks don't measure time? What in the blue blazes do they measure then?

I'm not being absurd. You said it yourself above

people actually experience elapsed time

So what we are talking about here is an experience people have. You are talking about subjective perception of a flow of time. If there were no clocks, no planets rotating, etc. etc. then you would not have that experience at all. It is only your ingrained habits that make you experience the passage of time.

Clocks don't measure anything at all. Is the earth a clock? Is the moon a clock? Of course they aren't. But they move with a good degree of regularity. Your science has confused you: the ancient writer got it quicker than you have: God established the sun and moon for times and seasons. They allow you to experience the passage of time because they allow you to see regular movement. Then you get used to the idea of regular movement and you think that it's the first of the month again and you remember the last time it was the first of the month and so you create within yourself the perception of a flow of time.

I agree with this:

This effect arises neither from technical aspects of the clocks nor from the fact that signals need time to propagate, but from the nature of spacetime itself.

That is correct. But the nature of spacetime is a subjective experience. When you are moving, (or in a gravity well, which amounts to the same thing) you move differently to someone who isn't in your reference frame. And so your perception of the passage of time will be different. But it still doesn't mean that the line of time is an objective reality.

Nothing I have said above disagrees with what we observe or with the customary theories. In fact I think that my analysis makes more sense than your assumptions because it links perception with matter, whereas your view ignores the role of perception in all of science.

Shasta

I'm not sure what you mean. Especially by 'directly'. Observation is by nature something direct. If it is impossible by any means to observe something then I don't see how you can argue that it is real. It might as well be something only in your imagination.

Well, you can observe something experientially through the senses or experimentally. Quite a bit of the time we are observing only the effects of something and making inferences rather than observing the thing itself. Many of these models present such accurate proofs that it is all but impossible to deny them. Relativity is proving to be one of those universal truths.

Again, I'm not sure what exactly you mean. But you seem to have grasped well that what things are are mediated by what we think they are. So if different cultures have different words for something, it might mean that they, as a culture, have a different relationship with that thing. So for them it is something different to what it is to another culture.

To say time is or is not a "thing" is misleading. Nouns not only identify "things" (objects) but phenomena and processes. "Time" is an term for the process of change. Though it is an abstract term it nonetheless describes something that exists

You can't say that it has existence in itself only. Its existence consists of the relationship it has with everything else. And that relationship is not fixed so it might be something different depending on the culture or thing that it is in relation with.

I was talking about time as a process of change and, if these really exist then so does time. Time like gravity, motion, electromagnetism are not "respecters of persons."

Well, time certainly hasn't. Relativity theory has been corroborated by a lot of evidence but that doesn't mean that time is a dimension of the universe. That's not what the theory says. The evidence is indeed not affected by social conventions. But the evidence doesn't tell you that time is a dimension of the universe. It just tells you that change is perceived relatively.

Actually the theory of Special Relativity does propose that time is a dimension of the universe

http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/02088/einstein.htm and there is experimental evidence to back this claim.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, you can observe something experientially through the senses or experimentally. Quite a bit of the time we are observing only the effects of something and making inferences rather than observing the thing itself. Many of these models present such accurate proofs that it is all but impossible to deny them. Relativity is proving to be one of those universal truths.

To say time is or is not a "thing" is misleading. Nouns not only identify "things" (objects) but phenomena and processes. "Time" is an term for the process of change. Though it is an abstract term it nonetheless describes something that exists

I was talking about time as a process of change and, if these really exist then so does time. Time like gravity, motion, electromagnetism are not "respecters of persons."

Actually the theory of Special Relativity does propose that time is a dimension of the universe

http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/02088/einstein.htm and there is experimental evidence to back this claim.

Aristotle
But it is impossible that movement should either have come into being or cease to be (for it must always have existed), or that time should. For there could not be a before and an after if time did not exist. Movement also is continuous, then, in the sense in which time is; for time is either the same thing as movement or an attribute of movement."

Einstein
"If we assume that all matter would disappear from the world, then before relativity, one believed that space and time would continue existing in an empty world. But according to the theory of relativity, if matter and its motion disappeared, there would no longer be any space or time."​

Time is a characteristic of anything that exists and is active. Any kind of movement is a change of some type and incorporates time in three ways: 1. before and after; 2. past, present, and future; 3. duration. Time does not exist in itself as something material or as an invisible form of energy.

Time exists in God because he is active in the world he has created--Revealed Theology. We know that God existed 'before" he created the world and so we can also say that the creation of the world is in his "past". Before the creation of the world there was "movement" within the Trinity. Love and communication are forms of movement. God endures forever, time for God is unlimited, he had no beginning and he will have no end.

--Dave

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well, you can observe something experientially through the senses or experimentally. Quite a bit of the time we are observing only the effects of something and making inferences rather than observing the thing itself.

There, you got it right. We are continually making inferences. That's not observing directly.

Yes, I have no beef with that. It exists as a subjective experience. It is real and sharable but it is in the mind.

I have no idea what you are saying.

The article was rubbish. He couldn't even be bothered to proof read it, let alone sense check it: in one sentence here are 5 simple language errors or typos and the sentence as a whole in meaningless. Here:

To understand time as a fourth dimension, it is necessary to recognize that any human attempt to "draw" or "represent" time beyond out immediate perception of it (baisc, linear progression), is inherently flawed, because out mental capacity is limited to three dimensions.

C

caribou

Maybe this article by Greg Boyd will help:
Gregory A. Boyd was my introduction to Open Theism. I read God at War - The Bible and Spiritual Conflict and Satan & the Problem of Evil: Constructing a Trinitarian Warfare Theodicy. I found the books interesting, but the Bible itself has enough verses in it to support Open Theism. Books like this are rather superfluous.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Gregory A. Boyd was my introduction to Open Theism. I read God at War - The Bible and Spiritual Conflict and Satan & the Problem of Evil: Constructing a Trinitarian Warfare Theodicy. I found the books interesting, but the Bible itself has enough verses in it to support Open Theism. Books like this are rather superfluous.

Does scripture support the total omniscience of God. If not, why not. Scriptural support?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I guess you could put it that way. Did He know that Adam would sin?

The issue is not what God know about Adam, it's what does he know about himself.

If God knows he's going to do something before he does it then he has a future of things not yet done, right?

--Dave

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The issue is not what God know about Adam, it's what does he know about himself.

If God knows he's going to do something before he does it then he has a future of things not yet done, right?

--Dave

I don't quite understand what you're getting at but He is the same yesterday, today and forever.