Thread: Is Calvinism Right?

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Calvinism Right?

Hello all! I'm new to the board and look foward to getting to know you.

When I was in college (10 plus years ago) I was introduced to Calvinism and accepted its teaching because I was convinced it was biblical. Sense then I have done some much more extensive study on the topic and found the system to be inaccurate both logically and biblically.

I would love to discuss this with someone who consider themselves Calvinistic and able to defend the system's tenets.

Is this the appropriate place to make that request? Thank you.

Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome to TOL, Exegete.

Yes, this is an appropriate forum for this topic.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Sozo I guess that would depend upon the perspective.

Thanks for the welcome...

Any takers?

Just livin' life one day at a time. Poly's Avatar
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by Exegete

Any takers?
    Sorry, you won't find a person on here more anti-calvinistic than me. Clete Pfeiffer will try and say differently but don't listen to him.

Although if you're interested in reading exceptional arguments for Open View (anti-Calvinistic as well as anti-Armininian) I highly recommend Clete's stuff. It's awesome!!

But I'm sure it won't be long before the takers come along.
    Last edited by Poly; February 14th, 2005 at 06:40 PM.
    "The most terrifying words in the English language are 'I'm from the government and I'm here to help.'" - Ronald Reagan

Check out the "rightest" of all right wing moms. FarRightMom

Upgrade your TOL membership.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,042 Posts

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    124 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Is Calvinism Right?

Hello all! I'm new to the board and look foward to getting to know you.

When I was in college (10 plus years ago) I was introduced to Calvinism and accepted its teaching because I was convinced it was biblical. Sense then I have done some much more extensive study on the topic and found the system to be inaccurate both logically and biblically.

I would love to discuss this with someone who consider themselves Calvinistic and able to defend the system's tenets.

Is this the appropriate place to make that request? Thank you.
    If you are not a Calvinist how would you describe yourself?
    Also be sure to.... Join TOL on Facebook | Follow TOL on Twitter
    TOL Newbies CLICK HERE or....upgrade your TOL today!

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Non-Calvinist? or Christian? or Biblicist?

I'm not really Arminian, but I'm also not into the "Open" view.

Old Timer
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calvin's "Institutes" is the most internally logical theology I have read.

It was slightly distorted after his death. <G>

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Billwald,

Are you a Calvinist?

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to TOL. I'm sorta new here myself.

What do you mean by Calvinism?
    The 5 best things in life begin with "G:" God, Guns, Gold, Girls and Guitars.

Friendly Neighborhood Admin Turbo's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's left?

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swanca99.....this is a description of Calvinism:

T – Total Depravity - Calvinists believe man is in complete rebellion to God, and by his free will CANNOT and will never make a decision for CHRIST even when presented with the GOSPEL. However, that is unscriptural. Whereas it is true that all men are in complete rebellion to God (See - Rom 3:10-12), it is not true that men cannot respond positively to the GOSPEL when it is presented to them. According to John 12:32, every man is drawn by the power of the GOSPEL and can be saved if he so chooses. That is why salvation is a “whosoever will.” (See - Rev 22:17 & Jn 3:14-16 & 4:14 & 11:25,26 & 12:46 & Acts 2:21 & 10:42,43 & 13:26 & Rom 9:33 & 10:9-11,13 & I Jn 5:1)

U – Unconditional election - Calvinists believe man obtains salvation because God choose him for salvation before the world began. They believe that God has chosen some people for heaven and the others to hell. However, that is unscriptural. According to Acts 2:36-40, Peter pleads with the Jews to “save yourselves” from the hell to come. Men do have a choice in salvation because it was offered to ALL (See - Mt 28:19 & Lk 2:10 & Jn 3:16 & II Pet 3:9). To say that God chooses some to go to heaven and others to go to hell is to breach the very nature of God (See - Ezk 18:23).

L – Limited Atonement - Calvinists believe CHRIST only died for those who would be chosen for salvation. However, that is unscriptural. According to John 1:29, John the Baptist proclaimed, “Behold the Lamb of God which taketh away the SIN (singular) of the world.” CHRIST died for the whole sin package. Salvation is not limited to a few, but is freely offered to ALL (See - I Jn 2:2 & II Cor 5:14,15,19 & I Tim 2:6 & 4:10 & Titus 2:11 & II Pet 3:9).

I – Irresistible grace - Calvinists believe man can do nothing to resist salvation if God has chosen him. However, that is unscriptural. According to Genesis 1:26, man is made in the image of God. Like God, man has a “mind” to process thoughts, a “heart” to stimulate those thoughts, and a “will” to activate those thoughts. If irresistible grace is true and man has absolutely no power to decide concerning salvation, then he was not made in the image of God. The problem with irresistible grace in Calvinism is that it is built on a misunderstanding of the doctrine of man. Man does have a choice in salvation. It is a part of his three-part nature (See - Mt 19:16-22 & Acts 26:19-28).

P – Perseverance of the saints - Calvinists believe that Christians will persevere to the end of their lives because their salvation is dependent upon God’s irresistible grace. However, that is unscriptural. According to II Tim 4:10, Demas, an earlier co-laborer of Paul’s, left the faith because of the allurement of the world. Obviously, Demas was not able to “persevere.” Whereas every Christian is eternally secure, not every Christian finishes his or her race. Even the great apostle Paul worried about finishing his race (See - I Cor 9:27) (See also - Acts 5:1-11 & I Cor 11:30 & I Jn 5:17,18).[B]T -
    Only the Gospel Saves

Journeyman
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Sold Out.

But I'm wondering what Exegete means by a Calvinist.

Some consider simply a belief in individual election to be "Calvinism." Some consider those who buy the whole TULIP thing to be "HyperCalvinists" or "Extreme Calvinists."

I don't believe in Limited Atonement but I DO believe in the other 4 points. On that basis, some have refered to me as a "4-point Calvinist," some have refered to me as an "Arminian," and some have called me other things which are less kind (although not on this board...yet).

The term is used so differently that when somebody asks a question like Exegete did, I always feel I need to get THEIR definition of it.

But thanks...it looks like you put a lot of time into that and whenever it comes up again, we'll be able to say, "Look at Sold Out's post in that other thread."
    The 5 best things in life begin with "G:" God, Guns, Gold, Girls and Guitars.

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm referring to TULIP. Some Calvinists differ on their view of the atonement, but if you hold to an idea that God only selected a particular number to save before time and passed over the rest, then you can pretty much call yourself a Calvinist.

Over 1000 post club God_Is_Truth's Avatar
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you believe that the future is settled (i.e. closed) in that all that is to come is set in stone and unchanging?
    There is no neutral ground in the universe: every square inch, every split second, is claimed by God and counterclaimed by Satan.

C.S. Lewis

Rookie
    Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the future is known by God, but only the past is set in that it has been determined. Foreknowing something doesn't determine it.

Thread Information