toldailytopic: Jesus was a Jew, so therefore shouldn't Christians follow Him and be J

JonahofAkron

From Jeremiah we learn that the new covenant was for the house of Judah and the house of Israel.

For me the question is if as a Christian I am a part of the "commonwealth" of Israel. I am not a stranger to the covenants any longer?

What matters is that we obey God's commands as believers. I believe in God and in Jesus Christ His Son.

Amen.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Some Christians consider this covenant as separate from the Christian New Covenant, some Christians consider it to be the Christian covenant, but offered first to the Jews. I think there's room for honest disagreement on that particular topic.

As a Gentile Christian, you are not a member of the "commonwealth" of Israel. Now, if you lived in Israel (assuming, of course, that Israel was living according to the terms of the Mosaic Covenant), there would be several requirements made of you, including observing the Sabbath and observing Passover. I don't remember for certain, but I do not think you would be required to circumcise your children on the eighth day, because you would not be part of the Mosaic Covenant. (I may be wrong on that last point.)

Then you are part of the Abrahamic covenant, and you partake of the blessings thereof.
Some people confuse God's covenant with Abraham with the New Covenant for now, because we know salvation is by faith.

I am circumcised and I observe the Sabbath, but I do not live in Israel. I live in the United States of America.

I'm not sure why the translators used the word "commonwealth", but I do believe that in Christ I am no longer separate from God and the covenants, no longer being a stranger.

As for the Law of Moses and the nation of Israel today, in particular you mentioned circumcision (for Gentiles?), I don't know how to answer you at present. The best I can do is offer this verse, which helps me to be focused on what matters in my daily walk:

1 Corinthians 7:19.

Junius Gallio

Some people confuse God's covenant with Abraham with the New Covenant for now, because we know salvation is by faith.

I am circumcised and I observe the Sabbath, but I do not live in Israel. I live in the United States of America.

I'm not sure why the translators used the word "commonwealth", but I do believe that in Christ I am no longer separate from God and the covenants, no longer being a stranger.

As for the Law of Moses and the nation of Israel today, in particular you mentioned circumcision (for Gentiles?), I don't know how to answer you at present. The best I can do is offer this verse, which helps me to be focused on what matters in my daily walk:

1 Corinthians 7:19.

It's a complex subject, and there is room for disagreement, provided that the disagreement does not cause strife between Christians.

ETA: When I was a Christian, I did not keep Sabbath. However, if I were to condemn you for doing so, I would be in the wrong. If you were to condemn me for not doing so, you would be in error. Rom 14:5.

IMJerusha

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 25th, 2012 04:11 AM

toldailytopic: Jesus was a Jew, so therefore shouldn't Christians follow Him and be Jewish as well?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I suppose, Brother, that would depend on what you mean by "be Jewish".

Cracked

Think about the Gospel of John. Jesus was a Jew. The Johannine Christians were Jewish. Then, what happened? Were they put out of the synagogue for Christ's sake? It seems so. In John, there is a distinction between Jesus and the law and Jesus is superior (and superior to Abraham).

My point--the Jewish disciples knew (especially the Johannine sect) that Christ supersedes what historically defined Jewishness. The lesson here seems to be that we believe in Jesus and follow His command(s), as He followed the Father's--no matter where we are at life, Jew or gentile.

Last edited:

oatmeal

Was Jesus a "Jew"?

Was Jesus a "Jew"?

Was Jesus a Jew?

What is a Jew? Where did that word originate?

It first appeared in literature about Shakespeare's time.

It was used for the people in Europe who claimed they were offspring of Israel or those who attempted to keep the law of Moses.

If we were to translate the texts of scripture more accurately and consistently, the KJV would have never used the word "Jew" but the word "Judean".

Judean is a Biblically sound word.

Jew is a johnny come lately word.

Jesus Christ was not a Jew, but a Judean.

So back to the meat of your question.

No, we should not.

George Washington was a colonist before the American Revolution.

Does that indicate that we should submit ourselves to the Queen of England?

oatmeal

sky.

BANNED
Banned

toldailytopic: Jesus was a Jew, so therefore shouldn't Christians follow Him and be Jewish as well?

It makes no sense. How on earth would we all learn to be Jewish? What does that even mean? We should as Christians practise our faith in Christ not our faith in our conversion to another ethnic group, nation, or their customs.

Abraham was the father of many nations. God recognizes differences in nations.

Genesis 17:5

5 No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations.

jeremysdemo

Y'shua was a keeper of Torah, a remnant that remained as promised by God, Zephaniah 3:13.

He kept Torah in a time it was not easy to do (many extra traditions being added, Mark 7:8) and taught his disciples to do the same even tho it would lead to his eventual execution.

Yes Christians should follow Y'shua and keep Torah, in the manner in which he told us too, John 14:26.

people who are missing that covenant are missing out on a greater part of the gospel, Romans 9:27.

keep shinin

jerm :cool:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Y'shua was a keeper of Torah, a remnant that remained as promised by God, Zephaniah 3:13.

He kept Torah in a time it was not easy to do (many extra traditions being added, Mark 7:8) and taught his disciples to do the same even tho it would lead to his eventual execution.

Yes Christians should follow Y'shua and keep Torah, in the manner in which he told us too, John 14:26.

people who are missing that covenant are missing out on a greater part of the gospel, Romans 9:27.

keep shinin

So what is "keeping Torah"?

sky.

BANNED
Banned
ask the source, John 15:10-12.

other references, Deuteronomy 6:5, Leviticus 19:18, He says on this all the Torah hinges, Matthew 22:40.

Having ears doth thou hear not?

keep shinin

That's what I thought. You don't actually know.

jeremysdemo

jeremysdemo said:
ask the source, John 15:10-12.

other references, Deuteronomy 6:5, Leviticus 19:18, He says on this all the Torah hinges, Matthew 22:40.

Having ears doth thou hear not?

keep shinin

jerm
That's what I thought. You don't actually know.

just read what Y'shua said to keep in John 15, if the Spirit is with you it will be self evident what keeping Torah is.

Matthew 18:3

perhaps a definition will help?

The word "Torah" in Hebrew is derived from the root ירה, which in the hifil conjugation means "to guide/teach" (cf. Lev. 10:11). The meaning of the word is therefore "teaching", "doctrine", or "instruction"; the commonly accepted "law" gives a wrong impression.[6]

keep shinin

beloved57

Jesus was a Jew

Not by Blood. Jesus did not have a jewish father by blood, nor did He receive any blood from mary, He generated His Own Blood, which was redemptive blood !

Lovebug

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for October 25th, 2012 04:11 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

A true jew, yes, the fleshly type didnt amount to much, concerning salvation.

Rom 2:28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither [is that] circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

Rom 2:29 But he [is] a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision [is that] of the heart, in the spirit, [and] not in the letter; whose praise [is] not of men, but of God.

Which is why we are not to view Jesus Christ as in the 'flesh',. once the new covenant was fully in place. All things pertaining to the flesh, was shown to be dead.

2 Cor 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we [him] no more.

Especially due to the fact that all things pertaining to the flesh, are considered dead, by the law.

Praise the work of Jesus!