toldailytopic: Should the NFL overturn last night's Packers vs. Seahawks game and awa

jeffblue101

Tate didn't have possession while he was in the air. Jennings didn't have possession while he is in the air. Where was the ball as the feet (being down by contact) hit the ground. Both players had both hands on the ball as thier feet hit. It was the proper call. Just my opinion. If this was played in Green Bay, the call probably would have went the other way and I would say the same thing.

According to the NFL rule book this was not the proper call
NFL rulebook Article 3, Item 5
Simultaneous Catch. If a pass is caught simultaneously by two eligible opponents, and both players retain it, the ball belongs to the passers. It is not a simultaneous catch if a player gains control first and an opponent subsequently gains joint control. If the ball is muffed after simultaneous touching by two such players, all the players of the passing team become eligible to catch the loose ball.

jeffblue101

This picture from twitter settles any dispute about who caught the ball
A3nPLfxCQAAKw4o.jpg

apparently holding the player with the ball counts as a catch.

drbrumley

This picture from twitter settles any dispute about who caught the ball
A3nPLfxCQAAKw4o.jpg

apparently holding the player with the ball counts as a catch.

we don't know when that photo was taken.

Look, all I am saying is it was a bang bang play, Even the regular refs could have done the same thing. Remember now, the refs in the booth are NFL refs. Not the replacements. Ultimately the judgement came from them, not the refs on the field.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I think that is a bad idea. It can take a long time to become an accurate and efficient ref. It doesn't seem like these guys are on the verge of having everything down. It wouldn't be good to keep this level of performance going on. It could cost injuries, more lost games. These refs are getting bullied and it appears as though the home crowds are influencing the calls too. The sides just need to come to an agreement.

Honestly, I think I'd rather have Goodell cancel all games until the real refs are back instead of your plan.
I don't think the injury rate will change all that much. But given that football is nothing more than entertainment, what does it really matter if there are some bad calls that change games. Heck, we get that when the "good" refs are officiating at games. The replacement refs will learn and the game goes on.

jeffblue101

we don't know when that photo was taken.

Look, all I am saying is it was a bang bang play, Even the regular refs could have done the same thing. Remember now, the refs in the booth are NFL refs. Not the replacements. Ultimately the judgement came from them, not the refs on the field.

the regular refs would have called the blatant offensive pass interference. there would have been no need to go back the booth for a "review".

drbrumley

the regular refs would have called the blatant offensive pass interference. there would have been no need to go back the booth for a "review".

No they wouldn't. I have seen regular refs not call blatant interference calls before. Much to my dismay as it cost my Bucs. Any every other NFL team.

drbrumley

Doc, I think you are the only person I know that actually thinks the call was correct.

Yes, you are probably right. I am only saying this as it relates to the call on the field. Like I said, it was bang bang. I would accept if the call went to Green Bay. But to place blame on the replacement refs is plain dumb. All I expect a ref to do is call it as he sees it. Unless we are saying somethig netharious is going on, I support the decision. Should the NFL overturn the game, no. Now the NFL has come out in other instances and apologized for bad call with a game in doubt, even with the regular refs. If they do so here, great. If not, great. The point is this play went upstairs that this was a touchdown on the field. The booth had nothing to change it with. There obviously was no visual prove to overturn it. Otherwise he would have. Thats's all I am saying.

jeffblue101

Doc, I think you are the only person I know that actually thinks the call was correct.

apparently, even Marshawn Lynch believes that was an interception.
Lynch watched Packers safety M.D. Jennings snatch the pass out of the sky and pull it to his chest while Tate, who had blatantly pushed off against Green Bay cornerback Sam Shields, belatedly latched on one arm at a time, the running back's eyes grew big and his jaw dropped low. The room was dead silent as the realization gripped Lynch and his companions: Like most of the viewing public, they now understood that the Seahawks had received an extraordinary gift from the replacement officials.

"We didn't win that game," someone at the table said, and nobody made a peep to challenge him.

By the time Lynch left the restaurant early Tuesday morning and, while waiting for his ride to arrive, reassured a group of Packers fans on Second Avenue almost apologetically that their team would bounce back from this bitter defeat, it was clear the league's already problematic officiating lockout had reached critical mass.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, you are probably right. I am only saying this as it relates to the call on the field. Like I said, it was bang bang. I would accept if the call went to Green Bay. But to place blame on the replacement refs is plain dumb. All I expect a ref to do is call it as he sees it. Unless we are saying somethig netharious is going on, I support the decision. Should the NFL overturn the game, no. Now the NFL has come out in other instances and apologized for bad call with a game in doubt, even with the regular refs. If they do so here, great. If not, great. The point is this play went upstairs that this was a touchdown on the field. The booth had nothing to change it with. There obviously was no visual prove to overturn it. Otherwise he would have. Thats's all I am saying.
Just for a moment.... forget all that, forget about the rules, forget about the refs and the replays and just tell me one thing.... who caught the ball?

I just want to see what you would have ruled had you been on the field as a ref and had you seen what all the rest of us saw.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So what about the strike. The NFL has done just as bad with regulars. Just ask a Raider fan.

Of course it should be reversed. Just the same as the US Army invaded Europe and overturned laws. Right is right and wrong is wrong. To use an analogy for you all. They should reverse it and put the L in Seattle's column. To not do so is insanity. It is as bad as NFL instant replay. Not that instant replay is bad, but how they do it is bad. You must make the call on the field when you didn't get a look. Then, it has to be clear that on the field was wrong. Instead of doing what the NHL will do. Go straight to the monitor and make the correct call.

This is what sucks about the NFL. Rules designed to get the outcome they want when they want.