toldailytopic: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for mor

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 26th, 2012 08:29 AM

toldailytopic: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for more gun control. Have your views on guns changed in any way?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Michael Bloomberg on stronger gun laws: "I don't understand why the police officers across this country don't stand up collectively and say we're going to go on strike" - Source

Wile E. Coyote

Michael Bloomberg on stronger gun laws: "I don't understand why the police officers across this country don't stand up collectively and say we're going to go on strike" - Source
My job gives me the opportunity to discourse with police officers and only one over several years said that he believes that citizens should not be armed. All others have said that they believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. This is from my limited encounters with police officers.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No!

:Grizzly:

Quincy

No, mine hasn't changed. People abuse guns because no one teaches them to respect guns while they're growing up. Then you get some punk kid who thinks guns are toys. It's a repeating record with our society. Children aren't raised properly and half of them end up stupid. So que the government riding in to save the day.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 26th, 2012 08:29 AM

toldailytopic: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for more gun control. Have your views on guns changed in any way?

Not really. Perhaps if they had allowed law abiding citizens to have guns in the theater this loser would have been capped before he shot innocent people.

Gun control isn't the answer. It is like chopping off our arms to cure the brain cancer that is killing our culture.

kmoney

Hall of Fame

That seems like a very dumb comment.

And no, my view hasn't changed. I think I would support a ban on assault weapons, but that isn't a change.

ragTagblues

My job gives me the opportunity to discourse with police officers and only one over several years said that he believes that citizens should not be armed. All others have said that they believe in the right of the people to keep and bear arms. This is from my limited encounters with police officers.

Yes!

Couldn't agree more!

I'm sorry but guns are stupid.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cowboys such as myself aren't really into guns, so I don't have any thoughts on this topic.

:noid:

Wait, what? :shut:

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No, mine hasn't changed. People abuse guns because no one teaches them to respect guns while they're growing up. Then you get some punk kid who thinks guns are toys. It's a repeating record with our society. Children aren't raised properly and half of them end up stupid. So que the government riding in to save the day.

Speak for yourself, sir! My children are well-taught in the importance of gun respect and safety.

Of course I know what you are getting at, and I agree.

Yorzhik

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think the high capacity magazines should be restricted and the "assault weapons" ban should probably go back in place. I hadn't really thought about the magazine issue before the shooting.
I can't imagine why you think having the ability to load some arbitrary number of rounds makes someone a criminal.

What is an assault weapon? I'll bet you don't have a general definition, but base your opinion on examples and looks.

Very misleading statement by you, mirrored in the article. Here's a comment that responded nicely (except I think he's wrong on the last sentence):
First, let's be clear. Bloomberg is no friend of, and no spokesman for gun owners in this country. We know all too well who, and what he is.

Your headline is old news because we see this tactic used all the time. Let me enlighten you. All gun owners support keeping criminals and dangerous people from having weapons. We are equal citizens, and full time scapegoats so we have a vested interest. The dispute comes in how we do it. Dems want sweeping and expansive measures that target mostly the law abiding. Conservatives want targeted measures aimed at the problem. Does anyone really not think that the AZ shooter displayed multiple troubling signs, and no one did anything. We also believe that not everyone can be stopped because they sometimes have no history. The CO killer may be the text book case.

It's easy to get a predictable answer when you pose the question in a leading way. DO YOU THINK CRIMINAL'S ACCESS TO GUNS SHOULD BE LIMITED? Who will say no to that, but when you find out the law is aimed more at you the dynamic changes. No one wants to see terrorists on the no fly list have access to weapons, but when you find out that many thousands of law abiding people are on it for reasons that aren't explained, and they can't get off, it becomes a different story.

Your headline is very misleading because I didn't see one real example of how the story lives up to the headline. The CCW example is a joke. There are some state's that are so restrictive that you will not get the permit. That's why many state's adopted a "must issue" statute. One will not issue a permit under any circumstances, and will not allow you to carry a gun anywhere outside of your home. Chicago had to be beat over the head by SCOTUS for even that. We all see how that works out in Chicago. I support a national standardized bill because I am an American citizen, and I should have the right to protect myself anywhere I go in this country.

The 1994 Assault Weapon Ban is also a joke. Jeez, don't you people do any research? That law didnt ban anything. The notion of trying to define bad ole AW's proved so perplexing that Dems had to pass a law banning guns on what they looked like. There was nothing practical and rational about the law. It was typical Clinton nonsense, symbolism over substance. The end result was that manufacturers simply made simple cosmetic changes in appearance, or simple manufacturing changes that made absolutely no difference. Additionally, everything made prior to the ban was grandfathered, and companies built healthy inventories. The whole idea that there was a ban on anything is hysterical. Now if you ask me if it raised prices, fueled demand, and sold millions of guns then the answer is a resounding yes. By the time the bill came up for renewal, there was no political will to revive it because all but the zealots knew it was political folly and farce. In the 8 intervening years, crime has plummeted nationwide despite the recession that usually spikes it.

We have seen many attempts to divide us with stories like these, and as before, it will not work.

calvaryoakville

Re: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for mor

Re: After the Colorado Movie theater shooting liberals are calling for mor

Doesn't change my mind at all but with regards to what happened it scares a lot of kids.