toldailytopic: Who is to blame in the Colorado movie theater shooting?

zippy2006

I don't call them "pot shots". I think they are better described as... accurate observations.

If you had given sources I could possibly agree. The OP reads like something intended to elicit a liberal response which could then be criticized, rather than criticism of an actual liberal opinion. :idunno:

PureX

But you know as well as I do, nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions any more! And society would say you don't have to.

Josh
How is society saying that we don't have to take responsibility for our actions? I don't see or hear society saying that at all.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is the shooter connected to a group? Did someone pump him full of drugs? Did someone deny him some drug that he needed to stay sane?
Not always. There are very rare circumstances under which the shooter may not be held responsible.
I don't anyone, anywhere, suggesting that we do this.
You don't seem to understand that it's the defense attorney's job to do those things. He is supposed to pose any possible mitigating factors on behalf of his client. It's a pretty important part of how we try to maintain fairness in our trial system.
Not if he somehow had no idea what he was doing at the time. It's very rare, but it does happen.

So all you can come up with is that it is a defense attorney's job to devend their clients (which I know) and that RARELY sometimes maybe it is not a shooter's fault?

:rolleyes:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
If you had given sources I could possibly agree. The OP reads like something intended to elicit a liberal response which could then be criticized, rather than criticism of an actual liberal opinion. :idunno:
You need sources to know that liberals say stupid stuff? Why? :idunno:

Wile E. Coyote

Ultimately, the shooter, but this does not mean that the people and the theater can't or shouldn't be prepared for violence like this.

Imagine if a responsible gun owner was sitting on the very front row of the theater and responded quickly and appropriately when the shooter shot the ceiling.

An armed society is a safe society.
:up:

PureX

So all you can come up with is that it is a defense attorney's job to devend their clients (which I know) and that RARELY sometimes maybe it is not a shooter's fault?
There are reasons why the system is designed to work the way it does. You don't like it, too bad.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are reasons why the system is designed to work the way it does. You don't like it, too bad.

Nice try. Care to try again? Typical Liberal response. "You can't change things...just accept them. Yes, that's it...you are getting sleepy now...sleepier..."

They "system" doesn't often work the way it was intended, nor, in some cases, should it.

Stop blaming society and schools and government and friends and family and everything else other than the man who pulled the trigger.

Wile E. Coyote

A society that tolerates and even promotes guns more like. :plain:
How do you breathe Alwight? Your head is always in the sand.

Head.jpg

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Quasi-agreement again, what's the world coming to? :chuckle:

:noid:

So if that's the case, shouldn't we consider limitations on any weapon that enhances people's ability to get multiple kills rapidly?

Wellll...The question remains how far does one go with that. Such a philosophy could lead to banning everything from the absurd (banning red dot sights) to putting us back to muzzle loaders. :idunno:

I don't think banning guns is a good idea, since we are terrible at banning things in this country and I don't believe guns are inherently evil. However I also do not think it is a good idea to let everyone and their uncle have guns that are good for obtaining multiple kills. The more people that have guns the more odds some crazy person will do what the man did in the theater.

:think: I can't say that I disagree fully here but alot of the problem comes more from lax enforcement rather than the lack of laws themselves (I'm talking in general here...I know the last two massacres were done with legally obtained weapons...probably more). It seems to me the real problem at this stage is identifying who the actual crazy people are who should not get them. The MMPI, while a useful screening tool for a job, is not something I would like to see used to limit Constitutional Rights (Besides...for me it goes beyond the paper...I consider the right of self defense to be a fundamental human right.)

I know someone that's certifiably crazy who now calls himself a "gun nut". I'm afraid one day he may do something similar.

If he is certifiable why hasn't he been certified? :idunno:

But I also went to graduate school with a young man whose father was murdered by someone with an AK who simply unloaded two clips into his house. Hurricane Katrina hit not long after and the perp was never caught.

I'd be willing to bet that weapon was not legally obtained. Something like that is usually an act of retribution or mistaken identity. Who knows...maybe the poor guy cut some gang banger off in traffic and didn't even know it. :sigh:

:nono: I've got no answer to the allegation that we have a bad situation here...we do. The problem I keep bumping into is that anything meaningful we do will have the added effect of hindering the capability of those who use them responsibly and for the right reasons long before if ever effects a crazy or a criminal. That is a real sticking point for me.

I can see that. :) I'll have to see what I can do, next time I'm able to "visit" my son's AR-15. (Yes, he's not even two, his grandpa bought it for him.)

LOL...Grandpa sound like a man after my own heart. :chuckle:

drbrumley

Aurora

Posted by Lew Rockwell on July 20, 2012 11:54 AM

Writes Elizabeth Cameron:

Here's a story about the shooting in Aurora, Colorado. As of this morning, ABC news was wondering if the shooter was a Tea Party member, as if that might be a causative factor. (He is not.)

No, you propagandizing morons, whatever his political persuasion, it isn't a "reason" for such an atrocity.

Then what is? This is always the question that is put forth with agonizing but ineffectual sympathy and discussed ad nauseum without much real effort to learn the actual answer.

We hear from our Presumed Overlord, Mr. Obama, that: ""We never understand what leads someone to terrorize their fellow human beings like this."

Actually, that's not true. There is a great deal of understanding available on this subject to those whose vested interests are not impeded by exposure of the facts. There is a well-documented relationship between uncontrolled acts of violence and the use of psychiatric drugs.

"What? No! Those 'medications' are here to help us 'control' symptoms!"

Um-hmm...sure they are. Go back and read the reports sometime, from past horrors, and eventually you find that many of the shooters were taking this drug or that one, or were in withdrawal. The warning labels of many of these drugs are dire. It appears that they sometimes send people over the edge, so that they step out of reality, and then all hell breaks loose.

But to focus on this, of course, would be (gasp!) to raise a thought against the psychiatric-pharmaceutical industry.

The question that ABC and the rest of the media should be asking is, "What medications was James Holmes taking, at the time of the shooting, or before it? When has he been in the hands of the psychs?" That is always the first connection to look for.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Well, maybe it's because I'm evolved slime Wile?

Elvolution and "progressive" thinking means going backwards and sticking your head in the sand to avoid reality.

Interesting.

Do you think for the whole or only yourself?

:plain:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
While I am by no means a liberal Knight, a violent culture (i.e. violent movies, video games and violent lyrics in so-called music) begets a violent society.

Keep in mind also that a good portion of America doesn't blink an eye at taking out a unborn baby, so why would murdering a bunch of people in a movie theater bother them?

However if this guy should turn out to be a homosexual then I suspect you at least will have no further need to look for any other possible influences.

I guess we'll have to wait and see if he molested any little boys before he murdered them alwight.

No, I'm pretty sure this guy is an atheist. Based on history, most if not all mass murderers have PHD's in "How to perform the perfect bloodbath".

PureX

Stop blaming society and schools and government and friends and family and everything else other than the man who pulled the trigger.
What planet are you on??? No one is blaming anyone for anything, that I am aware of. All I said was that we don't know if anyone else was involved in this shooting, yet. And you went off on some weird tangent about defense lawyers, so I reminded you of why we have them and why they are important to the trial system. If you insist on creating a straw man to insult then make yourself one in your back yard or something. Stop pretending I'm your enemy. You don't even know me.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What planet are you on??? No one is blaming anyone for anything, that I am aware of. All I said was that we don't know if anyone else was involved in this shooting, yet. And you went off on some weird tangent about defense lawyers, so I reminded you of why we have them and why they are important to the trial system. If you insist on creating a straw man to insult then make yourself one in your back yard or something. Stop pretending I'm your enemy. You don't even know me.

People will and do blame anything and everything other than the direct cause.

If you are not one of them, then I offer my apologies to you.

This does not change that fact that it does and will happen. Even with this case.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
While I am by no means a liberal Knight, a violent culture (i.e. violent movies, video games and violent lyrics in so-called music) begets a violent society.
If that were true why is it that most people who play video games and listen to violent music do not turn out to be murderers? :idunno:

Look, I'm not saying that there are not factors that might help a person go over the edge, or possibly give them ideas for when they do go over the edge. All I am saying is ultimately the blame lies with perpetrator.

You could place 100 random people in front of a 24 hour video depicting all sorts of crimes and it's possible (even likely) that none of them would ever commit a heinous crime.

Architect

How is society saying that we don't have to take responsibility for our actions? I don't see or hear society saying that at all.

This:

We teach kids that there is no morality and there is no such thing as right and wrong. It's these confusing and immoral signals that help contribute to these acts of evil.

When society teaches there is no such thing as right and wrong (particularly in a person's behavior), the blame starts to shift away from the perpetrator and toward the stimulant that encouraged the wrongdoing... Without actually saying it, that teaches people (especially young people) that it's ok to act out because it's not their fault anyway...

Josh