toldailytopic: If it was proved that homosexuality was genetic, would it then make it

alwight

OK you win! I do accept that, in this fallen world, people are genetically predisposed to sin. So what!
If sin is what it is then some seem to be rather more unfairly predisposed to sin than others.
Maybe though some are more predisposed to homophobic bigotry, perhaps there is a homophobia gene too? :think:

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If sin is what it is then some seem to be rather more unfairly predisposed to sin than others.
Who told you life was going to go according to what you consider to be fair?
Maybe though some are more predisposed to homophobic bigotry, perhaps there is a homophobia gene too? :think:

Could be! :idunno: I know that when I see two dudes kissing I am predisposed to :vomit:

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Sooner or later, Christians will have to make a choice:

Once it's scientifically demonstrated that sexual orientation is largely genetic, homophobes will be at a crossroads. They can either hate someone for who the person is, and continue in homophobic bigotry regardless of whether a gay person had any choice whatsoever in their orientation...or, homophobes will simply dismiss the science as bogus and claim it's yet another big scientific conspiracy/fraud right up there with evolution.

But believe me, that day is coming. And sooner or later Christians will either need to accept the obvious, or hate millions of people simply because of who they are. A lot of people have already accepted the obvious, but once science locks this subject down, the debate will officially be over.

I would feel no differently if God told me Himself that homosexuality was genetic. Loads of birth defects are genetic, and the bible says sin passed to all men.

Genetics can be defective because of sin having been somewhere in the bloodline, so hate to break it to you, but it would change nothing.

I already consider that the likelihood of a person being 'given' to one particular sin or another has to do with bloodlines anyway - and why Christ had no earthly Father, hence was completely genetically sin free.

alwight

Who told you life was going to go according to what you consider to be fair?
In a world with life that just naturally evolved then you are correct but if you think that an involved loving God is running the show then that would seem just a little bit odd to me.

Could be! :idunno: I know that when I see two dudes kissing I am predisposed to :vomit:
Not being gay myself I tend to agree with you Delmar, but clearly then imo those who are gay haven't somehow been easily "turned" or persuaded to become gay. You would need to be gay or at least somewhat bisexual anyway.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
Here is the granite/alwight/arthurbrain line of thinking: Homosexuality is strongly genetically based and is therefore a natural disposition. They cannot help their homosexuality and therefore they have an excuse for their behavior. Since two men or two woman engaging in sexual acts with each other, generally does not hurt anyone directly in the immediate timescale, it should not be condemned. I suppose that if God does not exist in your mind or you could care less if his moral laws are upheld then you probably would get your hackles up when someone tries to say there is something wrong with it.

voltaire

BANNED
Banned
In a world with life that just naturally evolved then you are correct but if you think that an involved loving God is running the show then that would seem just a little bit odd to me.

Not being gay myself I tend to agree with you Delmar, but clearly then imo those who are gay haven't somehow been easily "turned" or persuaded to become gay. You would need to be gay or at least somewhat bisexual anyway.

Maybe not, but I would say there is a very good possibility that they were subconsciously trained to do so by the environment they were in prior to the point where they consciously decided they must be gay.

alwight

Here is the granite/alwight/arthurbrain line of thinking: Homosexuality is strongly genetically based and is therefore a natural disposition. They cannot help their homosexuality and therefore they have an excuse for their behavior. Since two men or two woman engaging in sexual acts with each other, generally does not hurt anyone directly in the immediate timescale, it should not be condemned. I suppose that if God does not exist in your mind or you could care less if his moral laws are upheld then you probably would get your hackles up when someone tries to say there is something wrong with it.
If I believed that God existed then indeed I might have to pragmatically take on board His diktats and His apparently mysterious ways for fear of the dire consequences. But happily since I don't then my having some empathy for people who just happen to be born with a different sexual preference to me seems both fair and reasonable.
There is no part of my thinking that is anything to do with supposed (by men) God-given absolute moral values, only human relative ones.

alwight

Maybe not, but I would say there is a very good possibility that they were subconsciously trained to do so by the environment they were in prior to the point where they consciously decided they must be gay.
Sorry volt wild horses (figuratively) couldn't make me gay anyway, I honestly think I would rather die than try.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Sorry volt wild horses (figuratively) couldn't make me gay anyway, I honestly think I would rather die than try.

What was all that talk about those being most homophobic being secretly gay...? :think:

alwight

What was all that talk about those being most homophobic being secretly gay...? :think:
Do you actually understand what the word "homophobic" means Stripe?
What it doesn't mean is an irrational fear of participating in homosexual sex.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you actually understand what the word "homophobic" means Stripe? What it doesn't mean is an irrational fear of participating in homosexual sex.

Of course you'd have to think that. :chuckle:

alwight

Of course you'd have to think that. :chuckle:
Well, if a word's meaning seems clear then I'll tend to accept it as that, particularly so if respected dictionaries rather seem to agree. If we each made up our own meanings instead it might tend to make conversations rather difficult imo.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you actually understand what the word "homophobic" means Stripe?
What it doesn't mean is an irrational fear of participating in homosexual sex.

That is not necessarily the way the word is always used.

oatmeal

No, never, sin nature would then be genetic. Sin is still sin

Then murder and rape would be found genetic and hate.

Homosexuality is not genetic.

The Creator of the heavens and the earth make it plain.

Homosexuality is sin

oatmeal

Arthur Brain

Oh please. From someone who goes into 'meltdown mode' simply when challenged from an opposing perspective then you're in no position to fling around the above. You have a major anger management problem and I've avoided even interacting with you after your stupid thread about taking a break, but if you're still going to bring me into your posts after such a moronic OP about nuking the UK et al then start growing a thicker skin instead of a thicker brain.

It's not the first time you've lost the plot like a kid sans his favourite toys and I only hope you learn how to debate like an adult and withstand a few brickbats.

I did not choose to be heterosexual, and regardless of your insistence that i didn't know I was until puberty then - with as much respect as I can muster (which ain't much) - you're flat out wrong. I knew beforehand, and I could care less what you have to say if you actually even bother to address this.

If you want to crusade against gay people then go ahead. There's far more pressing things in this life than what people do in their private sexual lives frankly, and thankfully most Christians happen to recognize that in the main.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'll admit to not having seen a Fundamentalist right wing Christian dictionary.

Well then, let's take a look at how TOL's own Granite used the word on this thread.

Sooner or later, Christians will have to make a choice:

Once it's scientifically demonstrated that sexual orientation is largely genetic, homophobes will be at a crossroads. They can either hate someone for who the person is, and continue in homophobic bigotry regardless of whether a gay person had any choice whatsoever in their orientation...or, homophobes will simply dismiss the science as bogus and claim it's yet another big scientific conspiracy/fraud right up there with evolution.

But believe me, that day is coming. And sooner or later Christians will either need to accept the obvious, or hate millions of people simply because of who they are. A lot of people have already accepted the obvious, but once science locks this subject down, the debate will officially be over.
He is using it to claim bigotry and hatred not fear really.

Arthur Brain

Well then, let's take a look at how TOL's own Granite used the word on this thread.

He is using it to claim bigotry and hatred not fear really.

Indeed, and hatred in regards to the term nowadays supersedes the fear aspect IMO really, although hate and fear are often intertwined to some degree...irrationality often does incorporate the two.