ECT MADist thought for the day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The writer of Hebrews is quoting Jeremiah to show that the NC was had been made.

(Heb 8:13) By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

Notice it says "has made", and "will soon disappear"

Heb 8:13 describes the time period of 30Ad to 70Ad
will soon disappear is in reference to Jeremiah's day, for a new covenant was spoken of. What do you mean by "was had been made"?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You're out of the context of the parable. He was not speaking of the present generation but of the one that would see the fulfillment of all the prophecies

If He would have been speaking of a future generation He would have said "That Generation".

He specifically said "This Generation".

"This Generation" does not refer to a future generation, it refers to the current generation.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The old covenant was finished at Christs death.

No it wasn't.

The temple still stood, and the early Jewish Christians still observed the Mosaic Law.

Only the stone temple was destroyed in 70 AD.

There were other things that happened in 70AD besides the destruction of the temple.

(Heb 8:13) By calling this covenant “new,” he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and outdated will soon disappear.

You are rather dishonest with scripture.

LA

Nope, you are wrong.

Heb 8:13 was written around 65Ad.

At that time the New Covenant had been made, and it made the Old Covenant obsolete.

Because the NC had made the OC obsolete, it would soon disappear (it did in 70AD)

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
All those things that needed to occur had not occurred yet. Obviously the this generation is future. But can't convince a preterist.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
That generation continued past 70 AD. no matter how you regard it.

Jesus said "This Generation" would not pass away in 30AD. He was referring to all Jews that were at least 20 years old as of the latest census.

Therefore, in 70AD only the Jews that were at least 60 years old or older eye witnessed what Jesus prophesied in Matt 24 to fulfill "This Generation"

I don't know what the life expectancy was back then, but I doubt there were very many of those Jews from "This Generation" still alive.

The ones that were still alive were caught up

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
will soon disappear is in reference to Jeremiah's day, for a new covenant was spoken of. What do you mean by "was had been made"?

It means that the New Covenant had been made by Jesus in the first century.

The writer of Hebrews quotes Jeremiah to show that the prophecy had been fulfilled.

The only time New Testament writers quote Old Testament scripture is to show that the scripture (prophecy) had been fulfilled.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No it wasn't.

The temple still stood, and the early Jewish Christians still observed the Mosaic Law.

It became irrelevent with the beginning of the new covenant which obsoleted the old covenant.

Just because men still did some things of the old covenant did not mean any of it was still in force.

There were other things that happened in 70AD besides the destruction of the temple.

Nope, you are wrong.

Heb 8:13 was written around 65Ad.

At that time the New Covenant had been made, and it made the Old Covenant obsolete.

Because the NC had made the OC obsolete, it would soon disappear (it did in 70AD)

It became irrelevent with the beginning of the new covenant which obsoleted the old covenant.

Just because men still did some things of the old covenant did not mean any of it was still in force.

The pouring out of the Holy Spirit on the day of Pentecost made it clear that the new covenant was in force, and the new obsoleted the old.

There were not both the old and the new in force at the same time.

The veil was rent in two at the death of Christ , not in AD 70.

I wonder if G&P will not tackle you on this, but if she is honest about her intentions then she should, and has no choice but to do so.

LA.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I wonder if G&P will not tackle you on this, but if she is honest about her intentions then she should, and has no choice but to do so.

I am familiar with G&P's position. To the best of my knowledge she believes the OC came to an end at the cross, and the prophecies ended in 70AD

I disagree with her, and Heb 8:13 fits my position.

My position can also be validated by a study of David's tent.

David's tent stood for 42 years with the Ark of the Covenant in it. At the same time Moses' Tabernacle stood also. At Moses' Tabernacle the High Priest performed all the requirements of the Mosaic Law. All the sacrifices, feasts, burnings, etc were carried out at Moses' Tabernacle, yet God dwelt in David's tent.

The same sort of thing took place from 30Ad to 70Ad

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You said everything that Jesus said has already took place. You can't have it both ways.

Revelation was written before 70Ad.

What Jesus said in Matthew 24 was said in 30AD

John wrote the Revelation around 65AD, that is why Rev 1:1 says "must soon take place"

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You may think it was 70AD however there are also those who ascribe to 90 AD. The different judgements have not yet occurred. If they have kindly show proof.

If it was written after 70Ad, then what Jewish events of great destruction was John referring to when he said "must soon take place"?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How much time must pass to be soon in the eyes of God?

A day is like a thousand years to God, and a thousand years like a day.

However, Revelation was written to God's servants so that they (not God) would know "what must soon take place"

(Rev 1:1) The revelation from Jesus Christ, which God gave him to show his servants what must soon take place. He made it known by sending his angel to his servant John,

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Asked you first. Ought to be pretty easy if they have all taken place. Just show the proof.

From the Arc of Titus which still stands in Rome today:

800px-Arch_of_Titus_Menorah.png

Status
Not open for further replies.