toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
:think: Child Ultimate Fighting?

abc_ultimate_fighting2_080530_mn-709670.jpg

Nothing wrong with that. It's actually a good discipline for a child. :thumb:

sky.

BANNED
Banned
If I had a daughter I wouldn't do it. If I had a daughter and she wanted to wear a Tiara to the mall or to the store or whatever I would let her. I would even let her wear a tutu. If you can't wear that stuff when you're a kid when can you wear it?

Lon

One question, only question I have....

Who is putting up the $ for these contest winnings?

Just give me names so I can boycott....

Oh, and parents too, so I can send stupidity of the year awards.

...or better yet, let's pool the funds and give it to a kid who is developing a heart.

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame
Well where do you draw the line though? Is it vanity for a man to shave or trim his beard as well? To get his hair styled etc? I can't say I see anything wrong with a woman wearing make up per se....

What about a man wearing make-up?

Arthur Brain

What about a man wearing make-up?

What about it? Hardly what most do anyway so rather moot in regards to the point. Both men and women avail themselves of products/styling techniques in order to look good so if it's wrong for women to adorn lipstick/mascara et al then it's just as vain for a man to cut his hair and shave to any extent etc.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
What about it? Hardly what most do anyway so rather moot in regards to the point. Both men and women avail themselves of products/styling techniques in order to look good so if it's wrong for women to adorn lipstick/mascara et al then it's just as vain for a man to cut his hair and shave to any extent etc.

Some Abrahamic fashion:

drawntogetherbymodesty.jpg

They're wearing makeup, but they cover their hair. These are the old customs of being 'modest, yet pleasing'. Overdoing it is vanity.

Arthur Brain

Some Abrahamic fashion:

drawntogetherbymodesty.jpg

They're wearing makeup, but they cover their hair. These are the old customs of being 'modest, yet pleasing'. Overdoing it is vanity.

Do you think it's 'immodest' for a woman to show her hair? I seem to recall that the bible says a womans hair is her crowning glory or something similar.

If a woman chooses to dress in the manner of the above then fine as long as it's her choice. She shouldn't be called vain for either wearing make up or not covering her hair though, not by any means.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Do you think it's 'immodest' for a woman to show her hair? I seem to recall that the bible says a womans hair is her crowning glory or something similar.

If a woman chooses to dress in the manner of the above then fine as long as it's her choice. She shouldn't be called vain for either wearing make up or not covering her hair though, not by any means.

Those are simply the old customs. Nuns wear what they wear today because it is a discipline along with them being celibate.
Orthodox Jews, of course, try to stick to traditional fashion and Muslims stick to Mosaic Law a bit more militantly along those lines.

Jesus liberated us from Mosaic Law, but that does not mean that vanity is any less a sin. Showing one's hair and the normal modern customs are perfectly fine. However, it should be self-evident what things should be frowned upon. Modesty is a very important part of being Godly.

Arthur Brain

Those are simply the old customs. Nuns wear what they wear today because it is a discipline along with them being celibate.
Orthodox Jews, of course, try to stick to traditional fashion and Muslims stick to Mosaic Law a bit more militantly along those lines.

Jesus liberated us from Mosaic Law, but that does not mean that vanity is any less a sin. Showing one's hair and the normal modern customs are perfectly fine. However, it should be self-evident what things should be frowned upon. Modesty is a very important part of being Godly.

So if a woman gets her hair styled is that vanity in your opinion? Wears a dress above the knee? Wears lipstick? Do you frown upon all or any of those?

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
So if a woman gets her hair styled is that vanity in your opinion? Wears a dress above the knee? Wears lipstick? Do you frown upon all or any of those?

It wasn't too long ago that the way some women dress now would have been unacceptable. Tube tops and miniskirts are unnecessary., someone is not going to find another less attractive because they wear a shirt that covers their shoulders, or a skirt that extends more then mere inches away from the hip.

I find these things to be attractive, no doubt, but I know the problems those things cause as well. It is a biblical as well as plain rational truth.

There is nothing wrong with clothes or makeup so long as it is modest. Key word.

Arthur Brain

It wasn't too long ago that the way some women dress now would have been unacceptable. Tube tops and miniskirts are unnecessary., someone is not going to find another less attractive because they wear a shirt that covers their shoulders, or a skirt that extends more then mere inches away from the hip.

I find these things to be attractive, no doubt, but I know the problems those things cause as well. It is a biblical truth.

It wasn't aeons ago where women weren't supposed to bear their ankles in public either because of 'indecency'. If a woman is comfortable in long dresses and covered shoulders then absolutely fine. There's no reason to criticize those who don't dress in such a manner though, at least IMO.

EDIT: What do you mean by 'modest' makeup?

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
It wasn't aeons ago where women weren't supposed to bear their ankles in public either because of 'indecency'. If a woman is comfortable in long dresses and covered shoulders then absolutely fine. There's no reason to criticize those who don't dress in such a manner though, at least IMO.

I'm twenty-three years old. High school is still fresh in my memory being only almost seven years ago. Public schools have a general dress code. None of them omit makeup and the 'usual'. What it did focus on were, well, miniskirts and tube tops. Among other things, but that is what I see as modest.

EDIT: What do you mean by 'modest' makeup?

My girlfriend once had a friend stay the night. She was attractive, I will not lie., my eyes peered a bit (sin, shame). Well, she took a shower, and when she came out, I have to tell you., her face must have been more makeup then face beforehand. She was still attractive, but why all the extra? Such things are extremities.

Arthur Brain

I'm twenty-three years old. High school is still fresh in my memory being only almost seven years ago. Public schools have a general dress code. None of them omit makeup and the 'usual'. What it did focus on were, well, miniskirts and tube tops. Among other things, but that is what I see as modest.

Oh I still remember what public school was like even though it's several more years ago than that and in the UK. Similar thing though really. Then again what's that to do with what adult women wear away from the confines of dress codes?

My girlfriend once had a friend stay the night. She was attractive, I will not lie., my eyes peered a bit (sin, shame). Well, she took a shower, and when she came out, I have to tell you., her face must have been more makeup then face beforehand. She was still attractive, but why all the extra? Such things are extremities.

It's not a sin to recognize female beauty dude. If Cindy Crawford were to walk into the room I'd notice...;)

In regards to your girlfriends friend then perhaps that's what she's comfortable with? It's hard to say only on anecdotal evidence, and sometimes I think it can be overdone but I can't criticize it as being 'immodest' because of a subjective value judgement of my own.

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
Oh I still remember what public school was like even though it's several more years ago than that and in the UK. Similar thing though really. Then again what's that to do with what adult women wear away from the confines of dress codes?

It's not a sin to recognize female beauty dude. If Cindy Crawford were to walk into the room I'd notice...;)

In regards to your girlfriends friend then perhaps that's what she's comfortable with? It's hard to say only on anecdotal evidence, and sometimes I think it can be overdone but I can't criticize it as being 'immodest' because of a subjective value judgement of my own.

What you're searching for is the philosophy of why such things are immoral.

Well, why do women dress the way they do if they are already attractive? There really is only one answer, and any other is due to ignorance as far as the Bible deems it.
You see, it becomes a contest. This, by extension, causes social dilemmas all the way from the small to the highly consequential. It's even reached a point in today's world where women are often outright heralded for no other reason then sensual adoration.

When people envy another, or generally, when vanity starts to adverse society, that is when *modesty* needs to be observed more often. The only reason why women dress the way they do today is because of influential deviants such as Elvis.

I mean, it's accepted because people stopped caring and over time opposing notions were just abandoned because people stopped knowing any difference. It doesn't mean that it's right, it just means that today's society never held to such values and therefore do not know when it blemishes social junctions.

Arthur Brain

What you're searching for is the philosophy of why such things are immoral.

Well, why do women dress the way they do if they are already attractive? There really is only one answer, and any other is due to ignorance as far as the Bible deems it.
You see, it becomes a contest. This, by extension, causes social dilemmas all the way from the small to the highly consequential. It's even reached a point in today's world where women are often outright heralded for no other reason then sensual adoration.

When people envy another, or generally, when vanity starts to adverse society, that is when *modesty* needs to be observed more often. The only reason why women dress the way they do today is because of influential deviants such as Elvis.

I mean, it's accepted because people stopped caring and over time opposing notions were just abandoned because people stopped knowing any difference. It doesn't mean that it's right, it just means that today's society never held to such values and therefore do not know when it blemishes social junctions.

Dude, you can't blame the way women dress today on Elvis. Why do you even think so? Do you think vanity regarding looks is simply a modern day phenomenon also? It isn't. There may be more in the way of media coverage and advertising but such things as envy, coveting etc have been there through the ages. In olden times there may have been a 'civilized veneer' attached but it's just the same.