toldailytopic: Toddlers & Tiaras: what do you think about child beauty pageants?

elohiym

I just think they are lucky I don't enter my girl, cause it would be a smack....down....

:think: Child Ultimate Fighting?

abc_ultimate_fighting2_080530_mn-709670.jpg

Granite

Hall of Fame
It is rare but, we are absolutely in agreement here. :chuckle:

I agree with you here too Granite, I do not force my boys to participate in any sports, my oldest has took a shine to golf & tennis and I support him in that but, if he decides he is no longer interested I'm O.K. with that. Wow, agreement twice in one post...and one day too. :D

It's a Christmas miracle!:cheers:

chatmaggot

Hall of Fame

As I stated here, if we weren't conditioned to think that a woman isn't beautiful unless she paints her face...then there wouldn't be anything wrong with that picture.

But rather because we learn from a young age that a woman isn't pretty enough unless she puts on her fake face...we will continue having younger and younger kids having difficulties accepting their physical characteristics because they just aren't pretty enough.

elohiym

As I stated here, if we weren't conditioned to think that a woman isn't beautiful unless she paints her face...then there wouldn't be anything wrong with that picture.

But rather because we learn from a young age that a woman isn't pretty enough unless she puts on her fake face...we will continue having younger and younger kids having difficulties accepting their physical characteristics because they just aren't pretty enough.

Good point. I agree.

My wife doesn't wear any makeup, and I wouldn't like it if she did.

Cameron Diaz is pretty without makeup, too, in my opinion.

But I'm sure some women would think she looks better with makeup, and that is why some of those women wear makeup to church, in my opinion.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think this just represents a larger problem in our culture in regards to beauty. It isn't unusual for a woman to be disgusted at these types of things but then again I am sure that those same woman wear make-up. Why?

It seems that the only reason why woman wear make-up is because they have grown to believe that they aren't pretty enough if they don't. They have believed that they must paint their face as if it were a canvas so that they can then feel good about the way they look and themselves.

When a woman wears make-up she is telling her little kids "Mommy isn't pretty enough...". The little girls then learns that she too must not be pretty enough and the little boy learns to desire the fake beauty rather than the real beauty.
There is a line from Hamlet that I really like. "God has given you one face and you make yourselves another."

Lovejoy

There is a line from Hamlet that I really like. "God has given you one face and you make yourselves another."

And is also a play on the word "hypocrite" which was a literal reference to Greek actors using lmasks during a play to change characters. Not to say at all that makeup makes one a hypocrite, but what they do to these girls certainly seems to be encouragely a false face.

organiccornflake

In response to the first post;

I think its terrible. It's just their mothers trying to relive their live through their daughter. Its borderline abuse sometimes.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think it exploits little girls as well as sending the wrong message to the child.

These little girls are learning that using their looks and bodies is superior to developing their minds, personalities and talents.

MrRadish

Really, really creepy. Another product of rampant consumerism unchecked by a concern for people's wellbeing - in this case, the psychological wellbeing of both the children and adults involved, not to mention society as a whole.

Arthur Brain

I think this just represents a larger problem in our culture in regards to beauty. It isn't unusual for a woman to be disgusted at these types of things but then again I am sure that those same woman wear make-up. Why?

It seems that the only reason why woman wear make-up is because they have grown to believe that they aren't pretty enough if they don't. They have believed that they must paint their face as if it were a canvas so that they can then feel good about the way they look and themselves.

When a woman wears make-up she is telling her little kids "Mommy isn't pretty enough...". The little girls then learns that she too must not be pretty enough and the little boy learns to desire the fake beauty rather than the real beauty.

Well where do you draw the line though? Is it vanity for a man to shave or trim his beard as well? To get his hair styled etc? I can't say I see anything wrong with a woman wearing make up per se....

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Really, really creepy. Another product of rampant consumerism unchecked by a concern for people's wellbeing - in this case, the psychological wellbeing of both the children and adults involved, not to mention society as a whole.

You're just jealous because there isn't a show about pageants for the world's prettiest radish. :plain:

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Teaching a child to play the violin or to play baseball doesn't sexualize the child like a beauty pageant does. The sexualization is the ick factor. Teaching a child a skill or a team sport can be beneficial if not done to excess. It teaches the child self discipline. Today there is the tendency for laziness in young people. I don't regret my parents having me taught the violin. It is a skill I still use.

:thumb: Musical and athletic activities cannot be compared to beauty pageants.