toldailytopic: How was your Christmas? What did you get and what did you give?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 26th, 2011 10:21 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I got my custom calendar with all my personal reminders and pictures of my favorite people
and
the only thing I gave beside reps was my presents

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I took Mrs. Barbarian to see the Trans-Siberian Orchestra. And I got her a nice tripod. She's very happy with it.

I got a new light tent, so I won't have to cobble up lighting set-ups for close work. Very nice.

And in just a few days, I'll have a granddaughter. That is the best one of all.

Buzzword

Christmas was AWESOME. :D
My wife and I hosted, and stayed up till around 2:30 on Christmas Eve getting the food ready to go, after attending our first midnight Mass in which my wife got paid to sing in the church's choir.

Christmas morning we attended our normal church's service.
We took Communion with my parents, and my wife and I performed "Mary, Did You Know?" during the offering.

We cooked:
-a 4-lb. pot roast
-broccoli/cheese casserole
-mashed potatoes (using all of a 5-lb. bag of potatoes)
-2 loaves of Focaccia bread, my wife's first attempt at bread-making (and an extremely addictive success)

My father-in-law brought pecan pie, and the most diabetes/coma-inducing dessert EVER:
Black. Bottom. Pie.
Here's a link to one version of it.
My wife's dad made Paul Prudhomme's version, which is waaay thicker and richer than the Southern Living version (partially because it uses about a pound of butter per batch), and the five of us ate a grand total of one sliver of the stuff before nearly passing out.

...then he left us with the WHOLE THING, which we shared with my brother's family that night (they ALSO ate a grand total of one sliver).

Gave:
-My wife Seasons 1 and 2 of House
-My aunt and uncle a birdfeeder
-My mom a collection of Jim Brickman piano CDs
-My dad Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian MacLaren and Tony Campolo
-Both parents a $50 gift card to Mardel
-My nephew a Coke can refrigerator that plugs into a USB port on his computer
-My brother's family a $30 gift card to Braum's
-My father-in-law a $50 gift card to his favorite local meat market

Recieved:
-2 DS games and a gift card to Vintage Stock from my wife
-new headphones from my brother
-a new sweater from my parents
-a paper shredder from my parents
-a snow globe/picture frame from my aunt and uncle
-$100 worth of various meats from my father-in-law (from the aforementioned meat market)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I didn't get a single cigar! :idunno:

My kids surprised me and got me a Keurig, it's really awesome. :up: :coffee:

Son of Jack

I didn't get a single cigar! :idunno:

My kids surprised me and got me a Keurig, it's really awesome. :up: :coffee:

I really like mine as well (got mine last year for Christmas). Make sure you clean it regularly.

I gave my wife a new Samsung Galaxy S (that was my big gift). I've enjoyed playing with it. I'm trying to "set it up" for her.:eek:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I got a new pair of slippers and I gave a pencil case...

Son of Jack

Which parts need to be regularly cleaned? The water reservoir? The basket that the coffee packets go into? Anything else?

Really it's just the reservoir. You have to run a reservoir of distilled white vinegar through the machine every once and a while (every couple of months is probably fine) to de-scale it. You should have pretty detailed instructions on how to do it exactly in the manual.

Vaquero45

Hall of Fame
Got a bass guitar and amp, gave a bunch of stuff to family. My brother made dinner for our families, was very nice.

elohiym

Some anonymous stranger bought my family of seven dinner at a Chinese restaurant. :thumb:

Bought the youngest girls go-go walking puppies. My oldest girl got an MP3/video player.

And I...err, I mean the boy got a pair of remote control helicopters. :D

My wife and I got happy children enjoying gifts. :) (And a free Chinese dinner! :banana:)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Christmas was fantastic. I mostly received money, which went/will go directly into Jacks trust. Then I watched my boy roll around in the small mountain of toys and wrappings his grandparents shoveled all over the place. A few years of this and I'm either going to have to build a new wing onto the house or open a toy store. :think:

Jack's favorite so far is a yellow dog that barks out various songs for some inexplicable reason. And he thought it was hilarious when my wife placed his music box monkey on its back and pulled it around for him. :idunno:

Kids. :eek: (either)

Edit: and nothead was banned...does that count? :D

Layla

I had a lovely christmas. Family, food, etc. Can't go too far wrong.

We didn't really do gifts this year, as everyone is low on money.
I got my siblings scratch maps (world map posters where you scratch off the countries you've been to and they show through in different colours).
Also got my sister a minecraft t-shirt, hehe.
And I got my mother an umbrella with little LED lights all over it, that look like twinkling stars.
My sister made me a photo album of family photos.

I got my boyfriend and me tickets to the Montreal 2012 Grand Prix, a logitech racing wheel for GT5/F1 2012 on the PS3, a barbour jacket, that nostalgia monopoly in a wooden box, and a bunch of other little things.
I haven't seen him yet over christmas, so don't know what he got me.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Our Christmas was great. We had lunch at the retirement/healthcare center; that was followed by two church services, one for healthcare and the other for retirement.

We closed out the day spending the evening with our daughter and her family. We exchanged small gifts that are more like love and appreciation for each other, it was a lot of fun.

MrDeets

TOL Subscriber
My Christmas hasn't happened yet. On the 11th, I was sent to work. I am gratefully employed and working in West Texas, 450 miles from home, and will be until early January!!

When I get home, I hope to get a new Bible, and will be giving my wife some antiques(or maybe be taking her to an antique mall), and my sons will be getting a gaggle of gifts- some toys, some books, some learning stuff, and some clothes!!

I hope all of you were abundantly blessed with love and family this Christmas...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
How was your Christmas? What did you get

Adding to my Denzel collection:

training-day-profile.jpg

346488.1010.A.jpg

220px-American_Gangster_poster.jpg

and what did you give?

Huh?

Quincy

Christmas went well here. Just a small get together over this weekend with my mom, dad, sister and myself. This coming weekend we have a huge party though with our whole family.

I bought a few gifts, my mother has allergies badly, so I bought her a purification machine. I bought my dad some Craftsman tools since most of his current sets are old and missing parts. Then my sister got all kinds of stuff from me, from needs like socks to wants like Taylor Swift's Live cd/dvd. I watched it too :eek:, gorgeous lady! Lastly I bought my best friend a limited edition Zelda 3DS. She has wanted one since they first annouced the bundle and man it is a nice little portable machine.

I got a Wii from my best friend (now I have the console trifecta!). Some clothes and the new Wii Zelda game from my parents and my sister got me several giftcards to things like iTunes, Gamestop and what not.

Todah

My Christmas started out horribly but it ended well. Two of my alienated children were here, and I was able to give them some gifts, and cook a meal and make them some Christmas treats.

I believe the Holy Spirit helped me find the perfect card for each of my children and add some words, from Him, on each card, which let them know how much that I have always loved them, despite the failings of our marriage. I could see they were touched, and uplifted as they read their cards.

My daughter had to work, but I am hoping to see her and give her a gift later this week.

We are all suffering financially, so I did not receive anything, but I was blessed to have my two sons, and a genuine sense of the presence of God around us, and our dinner table. Praise Yah!

Breathe

I got sick. Completely missed Christmas, didn't get to see any extended family, and my immediate family had to avoid me like the plague to keep from catching the bug. This is the first Christmas I ever LOST weight.