toldailytopic: Extreme cold or extreme hot? Which weather extreme do you dislike the

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I prefer the cold and despise the heat! Hand down...

I'm from Irish and Minnesota stock. Cold is in my blood. Besides, cowboys prefer the cold.

You can always put on more clothing; you can only take off so much.

Not something I expected to hear from someone who chooses to live near Vegas.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Not something I expected to hear from someone who chooses to live near Vegas.

True. Life often gets in the way of living. I'd prefer the prairie to the desert, but alas, it isn't meant to be at the moment.

I want to live in Texas or Oklahoma...there just ain't enough Comanche's here. :nono:

tudorturtl

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 21st, 2011 10:22 AM

toldailytopic: Extreme cold or extreme hot? Which weather extreme do you dislike the most?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

I lived 8 years in South Florida and the rest of my life in New England. I definitely dislike the cold more. muscle aches, slipping on the ice, and most of all you don't have to shovel the heat.lol

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I can stand the heat better, especially if my temperature in my environment depended on bare necessities. Where I am, I can always jump in the creek. It takes more effort and resources to function in cold weather.

sky.

BANNED
Banned
Extreme cold. I think extreme hot is more fun. Swimming, tanning, gardening, thunder storms, I like that.

Extreme cold=staying indoors :down:

fool

Hall of Fame
I'm construction and cold screws me up more than heat.
For example my mason doesn't need to worry about the top end unless the assembly is in risk of going over 120 degrees (curing cementuous materials make their own heat thru the hydration chemical reaction) so it's not just a matter of the air temp. The sun is easy to defeat, just some shade is all it takes, shade is just shadow, shadows are made from things that block light.

On the bottom end the mason has to start heating his water at 35 degrees ambiant temp. That's not "extreme" at all, we have to start doing things different when there's just a chance of freezing.

The painter gets shut down at 50 degrees, unless he wants to tent and heat.

And, as somebody said, you don't have to shovel rain or heat, they just take care of themselves.

fool

Hall of Fame
Cold. I hate cold. I hate snow.

I love a great snow, I love a lush garden as well, if I ever left the northern climes I know my heart would yern for a good blanket of snow to make snowmen and snow balls and to ski in.

The snow makes all the noise go away, and keeps the people inside.
It's like you have the whole world to yourself, especialy if your sking down the road in an urban area late at night, before the plows come.
You can't see more than the the ten feet around, the sound of the skis the only thing you can hear.

I need that, at least once a year. Just one time. Pumping my arms and legs and gliding forward, silently, like I could go anywhere I wanted.

Yup, I need snow.

Butterfly

When I was younger I kinda liked winter and cold weather. Now I have done a 180. Put me somewhere in the heat and I would be fine. Here in Colorado the winters are really wearing on me. :denver:

Same here. When I was younger, I loved the snow and cold. Fast-forward 20+ years, not so much. The older you get, the harder the affect cold weather takes on your body. Cold also causes people to get depressed more than when it is warm and sunny. When it's cold you just want to bunker down, close the doors and hibernate.

Not to mention the black ice, snow, cold start-ups in your car, shoveling snow, car accidents and everything else that comes with old man winter.

There is a reason why the older crowd wants to move to warmer states.

Butterfly

Plus the weather channel just stated that Denver is about to get slammed with 12" of snow, 30MPH winds, and the low for tomorrow is supposed to be 2F with a wind chill of -10F below zero.

If you plan on moving to a warmer climate, it is better to do it while YOU ARE YOUNG. Don't wait until you are older because it becomes 10x harder the older you get.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: Extreme cold or extreme hot? Which weather extreme do you dislike the most?

Extreme cold...yes, this we dislike.

We lived in Colorado (Metro-Denver) for a long time, we got use to the extreme cold we had at times, but still didn't like it. Though once in a while I miss the snow.

We lived in Ohio (Elida/Lima) for a few years and extreme cold meant having to deal with ice storms that were brutal at times, and we didn't like that.

We have been in Texas (Houston) for a few years now, extreme cold is rare and for here it's extreme at 30 degrees, we can tolerate but try not to be in it.​

Extreme hot...yes, we dislike this too.

In Colorado (Metro-Denver) over the years there were extreme hot days but not enough to get really upset about; it was the same for Ohio (Elida/lime) a few extreme hot days now and then.

As you have read or seen about Texas, extreme hot it is, with humidity it is uncomfortable. We can have several days in the high 90's to low 100's and that will really wear on a person, thank the Lord air conditioning.​

Maybe some day we'll be in a place that is ell balanced, like 68 degrees.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The snow and the cold. Its in my blood and I have always tolerated it well. The older I get, the less tolerant I become of heat. I can always add layers of clothes a hat and gloves. But I can only take off some much.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Cold is horrible. Most don't realize because they aren't cold. You can't completely wrap yourself up becaue you have to see and breathe. And when it is cold enough, the thin layer os a ski mask and goggles doesn't cut it. On the other hand, you can infact, drink more water when it is hot and climatize yourself.

I will take hot. And Denver's mostly mild winters.

135%20degrees%20sanatized.jpg

fool

Hall of Fame
Cold is horrible. Most don't realize because they aren't cold. You can't completely wrap yourself up becaue you have to see and breathe. And when it is cold enough, the thin layer os a ski mask and goggles doesn't cut it. On the other hand, you can infact, drink more water when it is hot and climatize yourself.

I will take hot. And Denver's mostly mild winters.

135%20degrees%20sanatized.jpg

What was under all that stuff that got shopped out of that photo?
What kind of cigar is that?
Are you sure that thermometer isn't broken?
Why do you have two radios?
Where were you and who was the carpenter that built that mess?
Nice splice on the rope. What's that dangleing from it?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What was under all that stuff that got shopped out of that photo?

I sanitized it for a reason.
What kind of cigar is that?

Sadly, only my Blank and Mild. They have to do when the real thing isn't around.

Are you sure that thermometer isn't broken?

It works.

Why do you have two radios?

Why did you notice an insignificant portion of the photo, whose purpose was to prove that 135 degrees can be survived much easier than say 15 degrees.

Where were you and who was the carpenter that built that mess?
Nice splice on the rope. What's that dangleing from it?

The one time sailor did the knot and was the wood cutter. No carpenter on site.

Layla

I dislike extreme heat more.
If it's cold, you can bundle up in loads of layers and get warm.
If it's insanely hot you're just kinda stuck with it.

Butterfly

I dislike extreme heat more.
If it's cold, you can bundle up in loads of layers and get warm.
If it's insanely hot you're just kinda stuck with it.

I know the above statement is repeated quite often, but it is not scientifically true.

There are extreme cold weather issues which cannot be resolved with simple "layering". It can get so cold that unless you find shelter, you will freeze to death or your toes, nose, ears and any body parts exposed to the cold can get frost bite. Many a people who were "bundled" with layers still died and still got frost bite.

As far as heat goes. Even if it is "insanely" hot, you are not stuck with it. One would simply need shade and a lot of water but can survive 115F+. While not something enjoyable, as long as water is available and you are in the shade, you can survive "insane" temps.

Both hot & cold extremes are not fun to deal with. The old "layering" while cold is true but reaches a point where it will no longer work in extreme cold. The human body will require shelter or one would face death.

In my life I have been exposed to both, 120F+ and -35F below zero. I will take the 120F any day over the -35F below zero. The -35F below zero is something that imprinted on my mind and body for the rest of my life. Unless I think about, I forgot about the 120F, it was uncomfortable but manageable. The -35F below zero hits you hard and you never forget what it feels like when it was that cold.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I know the above statement is repeated quite often, but it is not scientifically true.

There are extreme cold weather issues which cannot be resolved with simple "layering". It can get so cold that unless you find shelter, you will freeze to death or your toes, nose, ears and any body parts exposed to the cold can get frost bite. Many a people who were "bundled" with layers still died and still got frost bite.

As far as heat goes. Even if it is "insanely" hot, you are not stuck with it. One would simply need shade and a lot of water but can survive 115F+. While not something enjoyable, as long as water is available and you are in the shade, you can survive "insane" temps.

Both hot & cold extremes are not fun to deal with. The old "layering" while cold is true but reaches a point where it will no longer work in extreme cold. The human body will require shelter or one would face death.

In my life I have been exposed to both, 120F+ and -35F below zero. I will take the 120F any day over the -35F below zero. The -35F below zero is something that imprinted on my mind and body for the rest of my life. Unless I think about, I forgot about the 120F, it was uncomfortable but manageable. The -35F below zero hits you hard and you never forget what it feels like when it was that cold.
We're not talking about those kinds of extremes.