toldailytopic: Prediction time: Which Republican candidate will be running against Ob

eameece

If there's controversy regarding the practice, put up an argument pro or con. He's doing what a lot of government workers are doing.
Unless and until it's illegal to do so, making it seem illegal isn't, IMO, the right way to disagree with the practice.

Political consequences are not necessarily legal consequences.

I dunno barbie; prayers from dinosaurs might not be healthy.
:cow:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
did you miss the part where Newt was the only one to balance the budget?

I remember Newt doing everything he could to prevent the balanced budget from happening. He even shut down the government to stop it.

Gingrich complained yesterday that in 24 hours of flying to and from the Jerusalem funeral of slain Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin last week Clinton failed to discuss their budget differences - and made Gingrich and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., sit in the back of the plane and leave by the rear exit.

The speaker said his personal pique helped prompt the partial shutdown of the federal government.

The alleged "snub," the Georgia Republican told reporters, was "part of why you ended up with us sending down a tougher continuing resolution" - the stopgap spending bill that Clinton vetoed Monday, leading to the shutdown.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19951116&slug=2152925

But he eventually caved and Clinton had his way. And the budget was balanced. Remember Newt admitting he did it because Clinton didn't give him the seat he wanted on Air Force One?

Clinton used that to save the balanced budget.

drbrumley

Newt is the best candidate
if
you agree congress is the problem

The whole problem with this political process is not just Congress. All three branches are the problem right now. The Imperial Presidency, A rogue judiciary and a Congress who gives their authority to the President. That's what has to change. And if Newt doesn't agree, he doesn't get my vote. And He doesn't agree, so he doesn't get my vote.

drbrumley

I remember Newt doing everything he could to prevent the balanced budget from happening. He even shut down the government to stop it.

Gingrich complained yesterday that in 24 hours of flying to and from the Jerusalem funeral of slain Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin last week Clinton failed to discuss their budget differences - and made Gingrich and Senate Majority Leader Bob Dole, R-Kan., sit in the back of the plane and leave by the rear exit.

The speaker said his personal pique helped prompt the partial shutdown of the federal government.

The alleged "snub," the Georgia Republican told reporters, was "part of why you ended up with us sending down a tougher continuing resolution" - the stopgap spending bill that Clinton vetoed Monday, leading to the shutdown.

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/archive/?date=19951116&slug=2152925

But he eventually caved and Clinton had his way. And the budget was balanced. Remember Newt admitting he did it because Clinton didn't give him the seat he wanted on Air Force One?

Clinton used that to save the balanced budget.

Bill Clinton didn't balance a budget either. He used gimmicks and add ons.
Bill Clinton benefited politically from balanced budgets, 1998—2001, but only by means of a statistical trick: using Social Security's net income after payouts as net revenue for the government, and then burying the liabilities in the government's off-budget accounts. This has been common practice ever since the Johnson Administration.

eameece

did you miss the part where Newt was the only one to balance the budget?

There was nothing to miss. Clinton balanced the budget, not Newt. Newt shut down the government. His tactics have been adopted by the Tea Party. So you want more problems in congress, elect the guy who started them.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Dec. 22 (Bloomberg) -- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich sought today to reduce expectations that he would win the Iowa caucuses as his momentum stalls in national polls.

The former speaker also sharpened his criticism of former Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney to blunt a barrage of negative advertisements Romney’s backers have unleashed against him.

“I never said I’d come in first in Iowa,” Gingrich told reporters at a rally in Virginia that drew only a couple of dozen people to a Richmond-area hotel ballroom.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...wn-iowa-expectations-as-polls-show-slump.html