toldailytopic: Cat or dog? Which animal is the most intelligent?

some other dude

I've trained both. Dogs are definitely more intelligent. And it's not a matter of the differences in their natures. Given stimuli that each will respond to, dogs pick up new commands much faster than cats.

My cats would come on command, sit, shake hands, lie down and roll over.

My dogs would do much more.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Totally depends on the breed. The labs I grew up with were sweet but (with one exception) not the sharpest knives in the drawer. My pitbull is incredibly bright--as are the wife's cats. Quite clever. Sometimes too clever...

why would anyone have a pitbull?

they are ugly
and
you cannot trust them

john w

Hall of Fame
Dogs love you no matter how much attention you give them.

Cats are like women, you have to ignore them part of the time if you want them to like you. They'll come to you when they are good and ready. :D

And cats, like women, can't be reason with, and cats, like women, act dissaprovingly, when you get in late after a night out with chicks who dig us.

Lon

Cat or dog? Which animal is the most intelligent?

Dogs of course.
Dogs are subjected to more (demand on their intelligent responses) than are cats. Thus it might be expected that dogs would show a greater rise in their EQ (brain to mass quotient) than cats. This was verified by the Oxford researchers using 511 different samples ranging from extinct species only available as fossils, up through current living examples. Thus it appears that based on their EQ dogs are becoming progressively more intelligent over time while cats have remained at much the same level of mental ability that they had when we first domesticated them. This means that not only are dogs smarter than cats, but the gap between the species is increasing over time.
At the risk of starting another argument, these data may explain why we never hear about such things as a "seeing eye cat," "police cat" or "search and rescue cat." -Psychology Today

Four O'Clock

A complete no-brainer. It has been scientifically proven that dogs are more intelligent. I like cats, except that I'm borderline allergic to them (have to wash my hands after playing with them)
My fav cats have always been the ones that act like dogs!
For all the cat owners out there...ever had your cat lazing around comfortably in the den then, without warning, jump up and pell-mell run out of the room? Does the feline idiot have any idea where its going???
Position that against the family who's house burned down and who lost their baby in the fire. The fireman went thru the house trying to find the baby. The family had a black Lab and they found it in the nursery spread out on all fours dead. Underneath was the child. The beloved dog was trying to protect the baby until the end. (I tear up thinking about it)
No cat would be capable of doing that.
End of discussion IMO....

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
It's hard for me to tell, really, the intelligence comparison between cats and dogs.
I know that cats have a natural instinct to kill, whereas dogs are a little more subject to their environment.

The cat doesn't often reply to things that dogs do, such as tricks and such, but I don't see that as mark of intelligence, but rather interest.
Dogs are lot more welcoming, unless trained otherwise, whereas a cat is not welcoming at all until they are familiar with you. In general. It's something that can't really be 'black and white' because some cats are very welcoming, whereas some dogs are not.

From what I understand, dogs are indigenous to coyotes and jackals, and their relative is the wolf.
Cats are indigenous to the big cats, pretty much tied altogether.

So both have quite a wrap sheet on intelligence, which makes them great pets, so in my opinion, I'd say they are about the same in intelligence, just different interests.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
The cats are divided into two groups, felix (small cats like wildcats and domestic cats) and pantera, the large cats.

It is almost certain that the cat was evolved by domestication of the Egyptian wild cat.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Acutally...
Normally it would be a cat stuck up a tree but Kent Fire and Rescue were called out to a different animal on Friday night.

Firefighters were asked to rescue a dachshund who had become lodged up a tree in Tenterden.

The daft dog had got stuck three metres above the ground.

Firefighters used a sabre saw to cut it out and bring it back down.

It is unknown how the adventurous pet got up there in the first place.

http://www.kentonline.co.uk/kentonline/news/2011/july/23/dachshund_stuck_up_a_tree.aspx

2620 hits on "dog stuck up a tree".

One morning on our walk through the woods, my beagle/basset chased a squirrel up a tree leaning at about a 50 degree angle. She got a meter or so up the trunk and then looked back at me. "This isn't a very good idea, is it?"