toldailytopic: What is the appropriate way to help the poor?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Jesus is quite clear about his advice to help the poor and give to the needy. He is also quite clear that our true treasure is in heaven. It is not either/or. He was also clear to render to Caesar what is Caesar's.
"God's word" was written by people and needs to be interpreted by people. It has authority only to the extent that you choose to give it authority. It is past time for Americans to take responsibility for their own knowledge. We are supposed to be a democracy, not an authoritarian state. We should not take an authoritarian approach to religion. That is unbecoming of us as Americans, and a sellout of our human nature and abilities. God is expressing as us. God is not sheep.
I have no problem in rendering unto Caesar; the problem is when Caesar takes what isn't his. Especially when he takes money and then gives it to those who either don't need it or who need it but squander it instead and remain in poverty; leaving me without anything to give to those who are in need and will use it wisely, thus leaving me below the poverty line as well.

People wonder what happened to the work ethic in this country; the government happened, with their policies about what should be done with the citizens' money. Minimum wage, over-taxation and putting money where it does no good have made workers care much less about the work they do. They get paid the same no matter how much or how little they do as long as they're clocked in, and many of them collect even more money from the government solely because they're "underemployed" thus negating any motivation for them to move beyond their position.

eameece

I have no problem in rendering unto Caesar; the problem is when Caesar takes what isn't his. Especially when he takes money and then gives it to those who either don't need it or who need it but squander it instead and remain in poverty; leaving me without anything to give to those who are in need and will use it wisely, thus leaving me below the poverty line as well.
Caesar has rightly decided that it works better when everyone, especially those who have benefited from everything which taxpayers have already contributed to society, helps everyone else. What works is when people are in trouble, they can get help to recover and get going again. What doesn't work is a society where a few people are rich and have all the power. Using the resentment you and others express toward those who have received help, the powerful in this country have built just such an unequal society. It is bringing about the decline of America on almost any index you can name. If you have nothing left to give, it is more likely not due to high taxes, since our taxes are relatively low, but due to the high costs which business and real estate tycoons and gamblers have been allowed to extort from us, and the diminished social mobility due to trickle-down economics that has prevailed these last 30 years. And if we would spend more of our tax money here at home instead of on imperial ventures and the obsession to have America be #1 and spend more on the military than all other nations combined, that tax money would go a lot farther.
People wonder what happened to the work ethic in this country; the government happened, with their policies about what should be done with the citizens' money. Minimum wage, over-taxation and putting money where it does no good have made workers care much less about the work they do. They get paid the same no matter how much or how little they do as long as they're clocked in, and many of them collect even more money from the government solely because they're "underemployed" thus negating any motivation for them to move beyond their position.
The low wages are due to the expropriation of the money business earns by the wealthiest CEOs and other privileged people. Business has been allowed to keep wages low. The wealthy are allowed to get off without paying much proportionally in taxes, while payroll taxes on the middle class have gone up. People can be motivated to work because the work is satisfying and provides a decent income, not because they have to stare starvation in the face if they don't do what the boss says and lick his boots. Resentment of welfare is really unfair, cruel, un-Christian, and self-destructive. Don't blame other folks who are hurt by this corporate system for your woes; blame the corporate system for your woes. To the extent that you resent people on welfare, you are being used for the benefit of the powerful and against your own interests.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Caesar has rightly decided that it works better when everyone, especially those who have benefited from everything which taxpayers have already contributed to society, helps everyone else. What works is when people are in trouble, they can get help to recover and get going again. What doesn't work is a society where a few people are rich and have all the power. Using the resentment you and others express toward those who have received help, the powerful in this country have built just such an unequal society. It is bringing about the decline of America on almost any index you can name. If you have nothing left to give, it is more likely not due to high taxes, since our taxes are relatively low, but due to the high costs which business and real estate tycoons and gamblers have been allowed to extort from us, and the diminished social mobility due to trickle-down economics that has prevailed these last 30 years. And if we would spend more of our tax money here at home instead of on imperial ventures and the obsession to have America be #1 and spend more on the military than all other nations combined, that tax money would go a lot farther.

The low wages are due to the expropriation of the money business earns by the wealthiest CEOs and other privileged people. Business has been allowed to keep wages low. The wealthy are allowed to get off without paying much proportionally in taxes, while payroll taxes on the middle class have gone up. People can be motivated to work because the work is satisfying and provides a decent income, not because they have to stare starvation in the face if they don't do what the boss says and lick his boots. Resentment of welfare is really unfair, cruel, un-Christian, and self-destructive. Don't blame other folks who are hurt by this corporate system for your woes; blame the corporate system for your woes. To the extent that you resent people on welfare, you are being used for the benefit of the powerful and against your own interests.
You're an idiot.

eameece

[*]I didn't pick that up from SOD.
Then it is just coincidence that you are peas in a pod.
[*]I'm not sure if I should explain to you why you're an idiot, because I'm not sure you're smart enough to get it.
your answer to me doesn't show much intelligence either. If you are so smart, then try to answer my points. If you don't want to, that's OK.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Then it is just coincidence that you are peas in a pod.

your answer to me doesn't show much intelligence either. If you are so smart, then try to answer my points. If you don't want to, that's OK.
You're literally too stupid to correct.

You're actually dumb enough to think that Caesar is correct in this idea that the wealth should be spread around. Do you not understand what happens when you take motivation off the table? Of course you don't, you're an idiot.

eameece

You're literally too stupid to correct.

You're actually dumb enough to think that Caesar is correct in this idea that the wealth should be spread around. Do you not understand what happens when you take motivation off the table? Of course you don't, you're an idiot.

No, not exactly. I'm not that extreme. I think it is a case of having the right balance. Where we disagree on is where the balance is. You apparently think it should all be on the side of keeping people afraid and in danger. I think dependence is a problem, but I also think the arbitrary power of concentrated wealth and authority is a problem.

How unequal and unfair and immobile does society have to get before we begin to think "redistribution of wealth" is not a bad idea sometimes, and is good for the economy? How long before we understand that making our society more unequal than 3rd world countries, is not working?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
No, not exactly. I'm not that extreme. I think it is a case of having the right balance. Where we disagree on is where the balance is. You apparently think it should all be on the side of keeping people afraid and in danger. I think dependence is a problem, but I also think the arbitrary power of concentrated wealth and authority is a problem.

How unequal and unfair and immobile does society have to get before we begin to think "redistribution of wealth" is not a bad idea sometimes, and is good for the economy? How long before we understand that making our society more unequal than 3rd world countries, is not working?
I think people should be kept afraid and in danger? You really are an idiot.

If you want money go earn it ya slothful donkey.

Our opposition (eameece) have no argument or facts. So he resorts to,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem
Suppose that Manson said that 2+2=4. S.O.D's "argument" would be that since Manson is an evil liar 2+2 cannot possibly = 4!!! Now, we both know that even if we were both evil liars that has nothing to do with our argument. Attack the argument not the person! Anyway S.O.D is a silly person and should be ignored.
S.O.D. keeps making really weird logical fallacies. For example, if one is not a Hindu ( at least his position implies this) then one cannot point out the contradiction of a Hindu that eats cow with joy.
I honestly believe that Christianity without charity is Satanic, a perversion of Christ's message, anti-Christ!

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Suppose that Manson said that 2+2=4. S.O.D's "argument" would be that since Manson is an evil liar 2+2 cannot possibly = 4!!! Now, we both know that even if we were both evil liars that has nothing to do with our argument. Attack the argument not the person! Anyway S.O.D is a silly person and should be ignored.
S.O.D. keeps making really weird logical fallacies. For example, if one is not a Hindu ( at least his position implies this) then one cannot point out the contradiction of a Hindu that eats cow with joy.
I honestly believe that Christianity without charity is Satanic, a perversion of Christ's message, anti-Christ!
If he's calling you an evil liar it's because he believes your argument to be a lie.:dunce::duh:

eameece

Dinosaurs are not very articulate. Ignoring them is wise.