toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes. But they are the faith and works of the Lord Jesus Christ. His is imputed to us when we believe.

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Yes. But they are the faith and works of the Lord Jesus Christ. His is imputed to us when we believe.

If Jesus dwells in us, He will do His works through us. If we have the Holy Ghost we will bear His fruit, lest as a branch of the vine we be removed.

Just because somebody or some group of people decide that was only for Jews it will not stop it from coming to pass.

We may be saved but it is a poor salvation and a dangerous one without accompanying works or fruit.

Paulos

Notice that they were not told to work 'for' their salvation but to 'work out' the salvation that was already theirs through their faith in Christ. They were being instructed to 'work out' or to put into practice in their daily living, what God had worked in their hearts by His Spirit.

Scriptural confirmation:

Hebrews 12:1, 2
Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.​

zippy2006

Can you accept something you don't believe exists?

Faith, not belief.

Or your point missed its intended mark.

Or you're giving it yet another superficial reading.

Scripture is clear that acceptance is not denoted by mere actless faith, as my previous post makes quite obvious.
Tell that to the thief on the cross. Will he be surprised...

The thief on the cross did not have actless faith. :idunno:

But you keep trying to earn grace and I'll keep responding out of gratitude and abundance and we'll both make the world a better place for the effort.

Gee, thanks. :rolleyes:

Obviously I can't force you to read the words I write rather than the ones I don't. You have that odd inclination to separate intent from action.

:e4e:

zippy2006

I do. The act of regeneration by the efficacious grace of God via the Holy Spirit enables the person to freely believe. That is why we normally do not run around saying, "Praise to you, so-and-so, for making the right choice!" Philippians 1:29 and Ephesians 2:8 immediately come to mind.

From the WCF, Chapter IX, in part on the topic of Free Will:[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]IV. When God converts a sinner, and translates him into the state of grace, he freeth him from his natural bondage under sin; (h) and, by his grace alone, enables him freely to will and to do that which is spiritually good; (i) yet so, as that by reason of his remaining corruption, he doth not perfectly, nor only, will that which is good, but doth also will that which is evil. [/FONT][FONT=&quot](k)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] h. Col. 1:13; Jn. 8:34,36.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] i. Phil. 2:13; Rom. 6:18,22.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] k. Gal. 5:17; Rom. 7:15,18,19,21,23.[/FONT]
No. Any merit is the work of our Lord Jesus Christ, the object of our faith. Faith is but the instrument of our justification.

Again, the WCF, Chapter XVI, in part on the matter of good works:
V. We cannot by our best works merit pardon of sin, or eternal life at the hand of God, by reason of the great disproportion that is between them and the glory to come; and the infinite distance that is between us and God, whom, by them, we can neither profit, nor satisfy for the debt of our former sins, (q) but when we have done all we can, we have done but our duty, and are unprofitable servants: (r) and because, as they are good, they proceed from his Spirit; (s) and as they are wrought by us, they are defiled, and mixed with so much weakness and imperfection, that they cannot endure the severity of God's judgment. (t)

q. Rom.3:20; 4:2,4,6; Eph. 2:8,9; Tit. 3:5-7; Rom. 8:18; Ps. 16:2; Job 22:2,3; 35:7,8.
r. Lk. 17:10.
s. Gal. 5:22,23.
t. Is. 64:6; Gal. 5:17; Rom. 7:15,18; Ps. 143:2; 130:3.

VI. Notwithstanding, the persons of believers being accepted through Christ, their good works also are accepted in him; (u) not as though they were in this life wholly unblameable and unreprovable in God's sight; (w) but that he, looking upon them in his Son, is pleased to accept and reward that which is sincere, although accompanied with many weaknesses and imperfections. (x)

u. Eph. 1:6; 1 Pet. 2:5; Ex. 28:38; Gen. 4:4 with Heb. 11:4.
w. Job 9:20; Ps. 143:2.
x. Heb. 13:20,21; 2 Cor. 8:12; Heb. 6:10; Mt. 25:21,23.
And, WCF Chapter XI, in part on our justification:
I. Those whom God effectually calleth, he also freely justifieth: (a) not by infusing righteousness into them, but by pardoning their sins, and by accounting and accepting their persons as righteous; not for anything wrought in them, or done by them, but for Christ's sake alone; nor by imputing faith itself, the act of believing, or any other evangelical obedience to them, as their righteousness; but by imputing the obedience and satisfaction of Christ unto them, (b) they receiving and resting on him and his righteousness, by faith; which faith they have not of themselves, it is the gift of God. (c)

a. Rom. 8:30; 3:24.
b. Rom. 4:5-8; 2 Cor. 5:19,21; Rom. 3:22,24,25,27,28; Tit. 3:57; Eph. 1:7; Jer. 23:6; 1 Cor. 1:30,31; Rom. 5:17-19.
c. Acts 10:44; Gal. 2:16; Phil. 3:9; Acts 13:38,39; Eph. 2:7,8.

II. Faith, thus receiving and resting on Christ and his righteousness, is the alone instrument of justification: (d) yet is it not alone in the person justified, but is ever accompanied with all other saving graces, and is no dead faith, but worketh by love. (e)

d. Jn. 1:12; Rom. 3:28; 5:1.
e. Jas. 2:17,22,26; Gal. 5:6
AMR

This is a nice post AMR. Admittedly I find the Calvinistic position much more sound on this topic than a common modern Protestant position, and wasn't necessarily including Calvinism in my criticism. Of course I disagree on a few particulars, but I agree with the general idea here. :e4e:

zippy2006

:thumb:

You earlier asked if we merit salvation if faith is an act of the will. Might be a dumb question but can you clarify what you mean by us meriting salvation? Do you mean that we deserve it and God owes us it?

Sort of, yes. The "salvation is by faith alone, apart from works" seems to imply that one cannot earn salvation via works and yet somehow merits it via faith. Faith and works are, in a very relevant way, inseparable. I mean them in the sort of common way the words are used: as belief/intellectual assent/trust and bodily action/interaction with external things. It leads to a goofy gnosticism as well as an unBiblical focus on the individual and the inner life while ignoring external acts toward others and the communal life.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Revelation 20:13
And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.

Notice that that verse is in reference to 'the dead' and is a 'judgement[condemnation] according to works'.

Apostle Paul already informed us that we are saved 'apart from works', but by faith in Jesus Christ:

Rom 3:20 For by works of law no human being will be justified[dikaioo-be righteous] in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law........
Rom 3:22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe

Rom 3:28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from[choris-by itself] works of law.

Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy

Jesus said:

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation[judgement]; but is passed from death unto life.

Paul said:

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation[judgement] to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

And:

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified[dikaiosune-declared righteous], and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame."

Too good to believe that GOD would justifiy[declare righteous] the ungodly by faith alone?
Yeah, well....that's the clincher. One must simply believe GOD.
That's why it's called 'Good News'[the Gospel].

Anyone judged according to their own works 'for righteousness' will fall short of the Glory of GOD and must necessarily go to the lake of fire. One does not want to be at 'the judgement of the dead'.

zippy2006

Apostle Paul already informed us that we are saved 'apart from works', but by faith in Jesus Christ:

No, works of the law:

Rom 3:28 For we hold that one is justified by faith apart from[choris-by itself] works of law.

Too good to believe that GOD would justifiy[declare righteous] the ungodly by faith alone?

Yes.

James 2:24

You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.​

James 2:19

You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!​

Anyone judged according to their own works 'for righteousness' will fall short of the Glory of GOD and must necessarily go to the lake of fire.

We work through Christ. We are His Body.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hi, Zip!

No, works of the law:

'of law'....there is no definite article in the Greek.

Paul continues his thought in Chapter 4...no chapter divisions originally.

Rom 4:2 For if Abraham were justified by works, he hath whereof to glory; but not before God.

The Mosaic Law(of works) was given 430 years after Abraham so Paul must be talking about 'any' works of obligation(law) or any outward demonstration whereby one could be justified(declared righteous) before GOD.

Rom 4:4 Now to the one who works, his wages are not counted as a gift but as his due.

Salvation is a gift. There is no way that one can do works of law in order to make GOD indebted to them for anything. We owe Him...He does not owe us.
Christ didn't fulfill the Mosaic Law and bring it to an end in order to just reinslave us to a new different Law of works to obtain salvation.
Our salvation is complete in Him by His 'finished' work upon the cross..plus nothing. To Him be 'all' the glory and ....the credit.

Gal 3:21 Is the law(Mosaic) then contrary to the promises of God? Certainly not! For if a law had been given that could give life, then righteousness would indeed be by (no article) law.

If GOD could give us a law to obey in our own strength which would give us life, then Christ would not have had to have died on the cross.
Christ is my righteousness and my sufficiency.

Yes.

Jas 2:18 But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

"Show me/show you". The only thing that man is capable of seeing is our outward works. Which works man sees us doing, will be evidence of who we are, whether of GOD or not.

On the otherhand...GOD looks at the heart, which only He can see:

Act 15:7 And after there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.[referring to the event at the house of Cornelius]
Act 15:8 And God, who knows the heart[ho kardiognostes Theos-the heart-knowing GOD], bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
Act 15:9 and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith.

The narration of the event in Chapter 10 demonstrates that Peter preached the Gospel of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and upon 'hearing' and 'believing', GOD gave the first Gentiles His Holy Spirit/saved them/made them His own.

Rom 8:9 You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you. Anyone who does not have the Spirit of Christ does not belong to him.

Gal 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under [no article] law.

Gal 5:22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
Gal 5:23 gentleness, self-control; against such things there is no law.

James 2:19 You believe that there is one God. You do well. Even the demons believe—and tremble!​

If one claims faith yet there are no good works manifest in their life, especially if consistent evil works are present, then it certainly would be evidence that there is no 'spirit life' there.

We work through Christ. We are His Body.

Yes!

IXOYE

This is a nice post AMR. Admittedly I find the Calvinistic position much more sound on this topic than a common modern Protestant position, and wasn't necessarily including Calvinism in my criticism. Of course I disagree on a few particulars, but I agree with the general idea here. :e4e:

AMR's post, unfortunately does not accept all of the scripture on the topic. The ones it avoids, would change the conclusion of it. Nothing against AMR, he posted this notedly as someone elses work.

IXOYE

Hear here!

Sort of, yes. The "salvation is by faith alone, apart from works" seems to imply that one cannot earn salvation via works and yet somehow merits it via faith. Faith and works are, in a very relevant way, inseparable. I mean them in the sort of common way the words are used: as belief/intellectual assent/trust and bodily action/interaction with external things. It leads to a goofy gnosticism as well as an unBiblical focus on the individual and the inner life while ignoring external acts toward others and the communal life.

IXOYE

Yes.

Abraham wasn't justified by works, that isn't what James was discussing.

Abraham, according to James, had his FAITH justified by His works. Not his salvation justified by works. The word justified has a meaning, it doesn't just mean justify to salvation every time you see it.

I realize you probably knew that, personally.

If you have faith, then you will inseperably have the works.
The works don't save you. But you can't avoid having them IF you are saved.

You can't be saved without Faith, because grace comes through faith.

Faith produces works.

If you don't have works, what you call faith, may not be. IF IT IS NOT, then you won't have grace. Still, works don't save you, but they are most likely a barometer of your salvation and maturation.

IXOYE

Notice that that verse is in reference to 'the dead' and is a 'judgement[condemnation] according to works'.

Rom 3:20 For by works of law no human being will be justified[dikaioo-be righteous] in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.

Rom 3:21 But now the righteousness of God has been manifested apart from law........
Rom 3:22 the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all who believe

Tit 3:5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy

Jesus said:

Joh 5:24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation[judgement]; but is passed from death unto life.

Paul said:

Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation[judgement] to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

And:

Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
Rom 10:10 For with the heart one believes and is justified[dikaiosune-declared righteous], and with the mouth one confesses and is saved.
Rom 10:11 For the Scripture says, "Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame."

That's why it's called 'Good News'[the Gospel].

Anyone judged according to their own works 'for righteousness' will fall short of the Glory of GOD and must necessarily go to the lake of fire. One does not want to be at 'the judgement of the dead'.

Stecko, why not give us your apologetic on the last parable in MATT 25. Sheep and goats. Please explain why the sheep went to glory/heaven/whatever yours says, and the Goats didn't. The examples shows those that went on, did the works. How do you edit that?

IXOYE

Well let's take a look at what the Bible says:

John 1:17 - For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.
Romans 1:15-17 -
So, as much as in me is, I am ready to preach the gospel to you that are at Rome also. For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek.
For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

Romans 5:2 - By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

These are just a few samples of verses about salvation. Notice there is nothing in them about works. What role does works play in Salvation?--none.

Let's take a look at the rest of the coin. There is three sides to a coin, why only show the pretty side?

NASB Matt 25 31 "But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats; 33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.
34 "Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in; 36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.' 37 Then the righteous will answer Him, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink? 38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?' 40 The King will answer and say to them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.'
41 "Then He will also say to those on His left, 'Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.' 44 Then they themselves also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not [fn5] take care of You?' 45 Then He will answer them, 'Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.' 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life."

WHY did the ones doing the work in JESUS parable, be the ones taken to heaven. :|