toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

IXOYE

It defines you as a Christian and is a result of becoming a Christian but works are not a part of Salvation, they are a result of being saved--big difference.

Matthew 7:16-18 - Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?
Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit.
A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit.

The fruit is a product of being a good tree--a person saved by accepting Christ as Savior.

If a guy is a pervert, steals and calls himself a Christian, it is obvious he isn't a bonafide Christian. You shall know them by their fruits.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't see chrys saying they saved you.

But it's good to see you admitting they are the fruit of a good tree.

So you would agree if that "tree" had no fruit, or works, it might not be one that is spared, yes?

IXOYE

Being that the claim is made quite frequently that Christians are morally superior to non Christians, why shouldn't they be expected to be beyond reproach?

THEY should be. Most atheists/agnostics/and the combinations thereof, are a bit more upstanding and sincere than those I know in the Church. Not all, there are exceptions both ways.

IXOYE

Then said the disciples to Him "what must we do to do the works of God?" and Jesus answered them "this is the work of God that ye believe on Him who God hath sent"

why did Paul tell the Churches to continue doing every good work?

Why did Jesus send the sheep that did the work to heaven, and the goats that didn't do the works didn't go?

you are half right in your claims. Works don't save you. But you stop the convo there, and deny that you are saved to do works, and expected to perform them.

That's the problem I have with my protestant brothers on this topic, they are so sincerely "concerned" about the RCC church, they scream out WORKS DON'T SAVE like a parrot, and say it so much they forget you are saved for that very Purpose to work.

King Arthur, Knighted Sir Galahad, formerly known as Galahad. Part of the KNIGHTING was the gift of armor and a sword. Now, my question would be, why did ARTHUR arm and protect GALAHAD if he didn't expect it to serve a purpose for him?

As the legends of Arthur are just a humanified (points for new word) Messiah retelling story, I think the analogy is dead on.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Stecko, why not give us your apologetic on the last parable in MATT 25. Sheep and goats. Please explain why the sheep went to glory/heaven/whatever yours says, and the Goats didn't. The examples shows those that went on, did the works. How do you edit that?

Mat 25:31 "When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne.

This is Christ's second coming, at which time He will take His rightful throne.....the throne of David.

This is not the 'white throne judgement', which takes place a thousand years later.
This is the judgement of the nations:

Joe 3:1 "For behold, in those days and at that time, when I restore the fortunes of Judah and Jerusalem,
Joe 3:2 I will gather all the nations and bring them down to the Valley of Jehoshaphat. And I will enter into judgment with them there, on behalf of my people and my heritage Israel, because they have scattered them among the nations and have divided up my land,

There are at least seven different 'judgements' in the Bible. This is one of them.

Look around. The actions which indict those at this judgement are in process now, but sadly will increase concerning Jesus' brethren.

The 'sheep' don't go to heaven. They enter the Messianic Davidic Kingdom on earth. The LORD removes 'all that offends, from His Kingdom' at this time.

IXOYE

Romans 2:1-8

Ephesians 2:10
1 Timothy 2:9-10
1 Timothy 5:9-10
1 Timothy 6:18
James 2:14
James 2:17

These are SOME examples of vss that must be reconciled with whatever you think WORKS represents in our faith. If you say NO WORKS, then you need to answer for the above. Your solution/apology need be a remedy that includes both the
'not works of the law' vss and these that encourage works.

IXOYE

:devil:
Sadly too many people that wear the label Christian don't act like one. They are an embarrassment to the faith.

Even more sadly, it appears that every person who claims he is Xian, also claims everything they say is the right way, and leave no room for error. :|

So, either every person is wrong, or only one person is right. (guess this leaves e.o. rcc anglican out...)

Put a room of 100 protestants ask the question How are you saved, you would get 110 different answers. :devil:

IXOYE

I understand the word "salvation" to be the full orb of the golden chain of redemption, that is, foreknowledge, predestination, calling, regeneration, union to Christ, faith, repentance, justification, adoption, sanctification, and glorification. Thus one's walk of faith as a believer (sanctification) will necessarily show the fruits of good works.

AMR

HEAR HERE!

IXOYE

I am not here saying that something like works of the Jewish law (which Paul often speaks of) somehow cause salvation.

The point is rather that the common Protestant separation of faith (that which we intend or think; non-active intent) and works (that which we do bodily) is completely unwarranted and unBiblical. To engage in that kind of dubious and opposite distinction between what you do physically and what you intend or wish by faith is to engage in precisely the same problematic practice that James' denounces in his letter and to move towards Luther's heretical call to "sin boldly."

:e4e:

I'm with you.

Not because I want to be.

Just because you are right.

I miss being able to argue with my Catholic buddies. But around here, I'm too busy defending the Bible being erroneously thrown you you guys' faces to get around to arguing with you. :idea:

zippy2006

Hi Steko :wave:

I don't really have the time to address your whole post, so a few things:

You seem to include works in the idea of faith. As I noted previously, one is not saved as a meritorious result of their faith, but they are not saved without faith, and we are urged to have faith. Similarly, one is not saved as a meritorious result of their works, but they are not saved without works, and we are urged to do good works, to actively love others, by every author of the NT.

I say you need faith and works, you say you only need faith, but that faith must produce works. Tomato tomahto. :idunno:

From Abraham to Christ to Paul man is urged to act, to work, to do. Paul sees a danger in thinking that the doing is in itself capable of producing salvation, not in seeing an obligation in running the race and finishing strong. James corrects that common misreading of Paul, even going so far to say that works play a part in justification:

James 2:24
You see then that a man is justified by works, and not by faith only.
Jas 2:18 But someone will say, "You have faith and I have works." Show me your faith apart from your works, and I will show you my faith by my works.

"Show me/show you". The only thing that man is capable of seeing is our outward works. Which works man sees us doing, will be evidence of who we are, whether of GOD or not.

On the otherhand...GOD looks at the heart, which only He can see:

Act 15:7 And after there had been much debate, Peter stood up and said to them, "Brothers, you know that in the early days God made a choice among you, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe.[referring to the event at the house of Cornelius]
Act 15:8 And God, who knows the heart[ho kardiognostes Theos-the heart-knowing GOD], bore witness to them, by giving them the Holy Spirit just as he did to us,
Act 15:9 and he made no distinction between us and them, having cleansed their hearts by faith.

The narration of the event in Chapter 10 demonstrates that Peter preached the Gospel of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ and upon 'hearing' and 'believing', GOD gave the first Gentiles His Holy Spirit/saved them/made them His own.

James does not say that we are justified before men by our works, but not before God. Declaring the Lordship of Jesus and believing meant very different things to the Apostles than they unfortunately do to us. It is opposite to declaring the Lordship of Caesar and rendering to him his due.

Furthermore and most importantly: what is in our hearts and what is seen on the outside should not be at odds. We are not to be whitened sepulchers.

The faith-works thing is admittedly something of a mystery. But to say that faith is all that is required and works are secondary and unnecessary is not Biblical. Faith supports works, but works also support faith. Sometimes we find Christ much more in carrying a cross than in professing our faith. :e4e: Was Christ's work on Calvary separate from His faith?

IXOYE

I do. The act of regeneration by the efficacious grace of God via the Holy Spirit enables the person to freely believe. That is why we normally do not run around saying, "Praise to you, so-and-so, for making the right choice!" Philippians 1:29 and Ephesians 2:8 immediately come to mind.
[/INDENT]AMR

Ok, if only the Grace of God via the Spirit enables a person to freely believe, how does anyone move from unbeliever to believer. Why would anyone be evangelical OR discuss God with someone outside the Church at all?

Why does the Holy Spirit come only as a maturity factor in our lives, not Before salvation? Well amend that, ...does the H.S. indwell us only as a maturity factor....

So, according to those "scriptures", the Spirit indwells after someone claims to have believed.

In Acts they received the Spirit after they believed, and most often after baptism as well.

How did the SPIRIT save them, if he hadn't yet been received by them?
:DK:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Zip. I am in general agreement with your post.

I say you need faith and works, you say you only need faith, but that faith must produce works. Tomato tomahto.

Perhaps the difference(not sure) is that I believe that the scriptures demonstrate that we are 'secure' in Christ at the point of trust in what He did, apart from any meritorious works of our own. When the Spirit indwells us at the point of 'faith in Him', the Spirit begins to work in and through us righteous works, to His glory. I believe that at the point of 'true faith' that 'we are 'sealed' unto the day of redemption(of our bodies)'.

zippy2006

Zip. I am in general agreement with your post.

Perhaps the difference(not sure) is that I believe that the scriptures demonstrate that we are 'secure' in Christ at the point of trust in what He did, apart from any meritorious works of our own. When the Spirit indwells us at the point of 'faith in Him', the Spirit begins to work in and through us righteous works, to His glory. I believe that at the point of 'true faith' that 'we are 'sealed' unto the day of redemption(of our bodies)'.

Yes I think that we probably differ slightly there. To use your own words, I would say that we are capable of falling away from work-producing faith.

But this is also semantics to an extent, because you would say that those who fall away simply didn't have "true faith." By "true faith" then you basically mean "faith which does not fall away."

But Hebrews 6:4-12 comes to mind in favor of my own position, as it evidences a rather substantial faith that is capable of falling away.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Faith, not belief.
Can you have one without the other? And can you have salvation without either?

Or you're giving it yet another superficial reading.
As with your entire last paragraph, the sort of response you'd chide others (by which I mean me) for if taken, say, with the heathen. :think:

The thief on the cross did not have actless faith. :idunno:
As I inferred with my present illustration, we differ.

Obviously I can't force you to read the words I write rather than the ones I don't. You have that odd inclination to separate intent from action.

While I don't normally comb through the past posts of anyone to supply a context for an answer to my responses to a post on a point, reading that didn't actually change anything in my present illustration or response.

misstoast

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for September 22nd, 2011 09:36 AM

toldailytopic: Do good works play a part in your salvation?

Philippians 2:12 + John 14:6 = what I believe; they are both correct and necessary. This is what the Catholic Church teaches. There is no pitting one verse against the other, otherwise it would be an incorrect, schizophrenic view. My 0.02