toldailytopic: Columbus: good guy or bad guy?

eameece

Columbus was neither the great hero some have made him out to be nor the evil monster others, particularly native Americans have think he was.
He was an ambitious entrepreneur who was looking for fame and fortune.
He didn't intentionally set out to commit genocide, as some have accused him of.
It's true, he and his men committed their share of atrocities against the native peoples they encountered, but in this they were no different than people all over the world who have committed atrocities throughout world history.
Others,such as the conquistadors, Cortez and Pizarro, were far more guilty, as they knew where they were and ruthlessly brutalized the natives of South America and Mexico and exploited the land and people for their greed.

Just because others did it too, does not excuse what Columbus did. And he started it.

fool

Hall of Fame
Took some serious....vision to do what he did.
Beyond that he was a man of his time as we all are.

The Berean

Took some serious....vision to do what he did.
Beyond that he was a man of his time as we all are.

I'd be more impressed if he used his own money and not spent "government money" like a good :Commie: . :think: Seriously, though, I do agree with your post.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I don't know enough about him; this is a question that never crossed my mind, I am surprised it has been asked.

jwp98

Good guy, doing what he believed to be God's will for him.
Historical revisionism regarding his character and motive inspired a good novel,
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell.

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
:think:

Here's a question.

Are Native Americans, as a whole, better off both today and since, for the contact they had with Europeans? Or would they have been better off never having meet any non-Americans at all?

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
bad answer

:thumb:

Lightbringer's not thinking, he's emoting. :chuckle:

Thing is, it could have been a whole lot better for Native Americans than it was...by a really wide margin...seriously...really, really wide...but it was still better for Native Americans to have gone through everything they have since than having never met Europeans.

:think:

Well, probably. I mean, we can't know exactly what they otherwise would have gone through. But much more than likely.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agree.

Not only did he find us this sweet plot of land he also is credited with bringing tobacco back to Europe which led the creation of fine hand-rolled cigars.

I was watching a show from the heathen. They were condesending (as usual) about how he was looking for Eden on his way to the far east. All the more reason to like the guy.

The Horn

BANNED
Banned
I'm not excusing the acts of cruelty Columbus committed. I was just saying that Columbus had absolutely no idea of what he was setting in motion .
He did not intentionally set out to commit genocide.