toldailytopic: HURRICANE IRENE: discussion, updates, etc.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for August 26th, 2011 08:44 AM

toldailytopic: HURRICANE IRENE: discussion, updates, etc.

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Granite

Hall of Fame
NH will be hit, it's just a question of how badly. By late Saturday we'll have rain and wind. Rainfall is estimated between 5-10 inches. If we're lucky it'll be more of a bad thunderstorm, if not, power outages, here we come...

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm waiting to hear from :jessilu:. From what I've seen of the maps, she's in the evacuation area. But, I haven't heard from her since Monday.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
We have two hurricanes off the coast of wherever it is I am. :noway:

sup-2011-08-27-06-00.jpg

Refractive

I live on the coast of Rhode Island, and am now getting offline to pack up and go to my daughter's house through the storm. People are already hoarding things like water. Seems a bit of an over reaction, I think two days worth will be sufficient.

What's funny is, I am leaveing what is now predicted to be an area east of the eye (they were predicting her to come ashore pretty close to here, but now think she will go inland at Long Island) to go to my daughter's house in Connecticut where, if we believe the storm track, the eye should pass, well, directly over her house. LOL!!!

But no way am I leaving her alone through this and no way do I want to be alone through this. Last time my town flooded out there wasn't even a hurricane and it was just last year.

Stay in Christ, everyone. We don't want to be ashamed of ourselves when this passes in a couple days.

Meanwhile: there's BIG SCREEN TV in my near future!!:banana:

eameece

Just another example of what we're up against because so many of us are climate science deniers. The dreaded Al Gore warned us. This year we've had the worst tornadoes, floods, droughts and fires in history. And now a once-in-a-hundred-year hurricane in our most populated area. We can expect lots more of this. Batten down the hatches. Vote Republican, and don't worry, be happy.

And the libertarian crazies on this board, aren't you sad New York City has a mayor that prepared his city for these things, and that you have public agencies up and down the coast to help us? It is so silly to have governments. We don't need them! Yeah, dream on, libertarian crazies!

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I guess I'll keep trying to get through to :jessilu:. I don't know if she's turned her phone off or if the circuits are just overloaded.

Ted L Glines

And now down to category 1, but they are talking about 90 mph winds and 2 hours until landfall. Concern is mainly for the outer banks. Many will opt to remain and ride it out. And NYC is going to shut down their subway system? It takes a LOT to scare a New Yorker.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
People are already hoarding things like water. Seems a bit of an over reaction, I think two days worth will be sufficient.

Really depends on how your city services are impacted.

A few years ago a hurricane hit just West of Pensacola, leaving Pensacola on the edge of the most dangerous quadrant (North Eastern Quadrant on the outer bands of the wind.), the power was down for 2 weeks, water was down for 3 weeks and it was advisable to boil the water for another 2 weeks.

How much water do you need for 3 weeks?

I don't think one can over react to a hurricane, its best to board the house up, get in the car and drive at least a day to the West of the storm track. When you decide to return home after the storm you will be able to buy any provisions you need outside the impact zone.

After a career as a Sea Going Capt I had to weather out more than one hurricane, both at sea and on land, believe me you don't want to stay in the storm path voluntarily. Once it arrives no one can get to you in an emergency until the roads are cleared and communications are re-established, how long do you want to wait if you trapped or bleeding to death?

If I was living in Road Island I would be driving towards the Western side of Pa. or N.Y., today.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
I guess I'll keep trying to get through to :jessilu:. I don't know if she's turned her phone off or if the circuits are just overloaded.

Your right ebenz, the circuits will be overloaded prior to the hurricane, every one calling family to tell them what they are doing...then the system may be down for a few days after the hurricane has passed...hang in there and pray!

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Maybe good news is Irene is down to a category 2 in spite of CNN doomsday predictions LOL

Hurricanes are very difficult to predict, so its best to prepare for the worst and hope for the least.

A few years ago a hurricane hit Florida on the Atlantic side, crossed over the state and went into the Gulf of Mexico, then to keep things interesting it decided to turn and come back into Florida!

jwp98

This hurricane is God's Judgement!

I'm kidding.

Even though climate change theory has been shamelessly and cynically
used as a vehicle for social change (as has Christianity),
it is a little unnerving to see energetic storms
as a possible result of introducing change
into a complex system....

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
This hurricane is God's Judgement!

I'm kidding.

Even though climate change theory has been shamelessly and cynically
used as a vehicle for social change (as has Christianity),
it is a little unnerving to see energetic storms
as a possible result of introducing change
into a complex system....

:rotfl: Yeah, kind of like Medical Research, who would have ever thought that taking a bath (staying clean) would become a vehicle for social change, when considering the complexity of infectious disease?

No one is required to agree with the possibilities that research may present, but does that mean we should ignore it?

ebenz47037

Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Finally got through to :jessilu:. She was charging her phone yesterday. She and her roommates are not evacuating, which, in my opinion, is kind of stupid. Most, if not all, of Norfolk is below sea level. Anyway, the storm is supposed to hit tonight (according to my daughter). I told her to make sure they have plenty of water just in case.

lightbringer

TOL Subscriber
Finally got through to :jessilu:. She was charging her phone yesterday. She and her roommates are not evacuating, which, in my opinion, is kind of stupid. Most, if not all, of Norfolk is below sea level. Anyway, the storm is supposed to hit tonight (according to my daughter). I told her to make sure they have plenty of water just in case.

:thumb:

Tell her to stay inside for the duration of the storm, don't misunderstand the first calm (the eye of the storm) wait until the second wave passes and it is clear.

Tell her to put duct tape on the inside of the windows and keep the blinds closed (if the windows are not boarded up) it will reduce the danger of flying glass if a window is hit.

If her structure seems to be shaking violently, find an archway (door way) in a protected area (bathroom door arch) and have blankets to cover up with as protection from glass or items inside the house that may get wind swept.

Ps82

Just another example of what we're up against because so many of us are climate science deniers. The dreaded Al Gore warned us. This year we've had the worst tornadoes, floods, droughts and fires in history. And now a once-in-a-hundred-year hurricane in our most populated area. We can expect lots more of this. Batten down the hatches. Vote Republican, and don't worry, be happy.

And the libertarian crazies on this board, aren't you sad New York City has a mayor that prepared his city for these things, and that you have public agencies up and down the coast to help us? It is so silly to have governments. We don't need them! Yeah, dream on, libertarian crazies!

Whine... Whine... whine. The only thing I didn't see is that it is George Bush's fault ... but it's the first time I've heard that Al Gore is a prophet.

I sort of think that scripture beat Al to the punch with the narrative about coming natural catastrophes upon the earth. Maybe Al has started reading scripture. ???

Ps82

I know someone riding out the storm in Atlantic Highlands, New Jersey in a high rise. A party is planned. Exciting ... They will either have the time of their life or be moaning about their experiences in the long haul. Can't wait to hear about their experiences.