toldailytopic: What should be done to the man responsible for the Oslo Norway murder

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for July 25th, 2011 08:32 AM

toldailytopic: What should be done to the man responsible for the Oslo Norway murder spree?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

. . . :idunno: . . . but I don't think he should be considered for the Nobel Peace Prize . . . at this time anyway . . . :kookoo:.

Well, he could be held with other terrorists who have committed heinous acts. But Norway has been, until now, remarkably free of such behavior. So perhaps we could volunteer to hold him at Guantanamo?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
From the article: If found guilty, Behring Breivik's 21 years in prison would equal a penalty of 82 days per killing.

Why not just sentence him to picking up litter and then send him off with a coupon to McDonalds?

Seriously, the guy needs to be executed.

Selaphiel

Norway wants to give him just 21 years in jail.

That is not entirely accurate. Yes, he will get 21 years as that is the maximum penalty. But he will most likely be secured ("forvaring"), which in practice means that he can be locked up for the rest of his life. The link mentions this as well:

"Norwegian law does allow for a convict to spend more than 21 years locked up, as experts can keep him or her behind bars up for additional five-year stretches if the prisoner is deemed dangerous. "

But yes, 21 years is too low. Actions like this should result in a life sentence without having to renew that in 5 year stretches.

Silent Hunter

Well, he could be held with other terrorists who have committed heinous acts. But Norway has been, until now, remarkably free of such behavior. So perhaps we could volunteer to hold him at Guantanamo?
. . . :think: . . .

. . . :thumb: . . .

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Keep him at Guantanamo just long enough to waterboard him a few times to make sure we have all the intelligence we need from him, then swiftly and painfully execute him.

Buzzword

The 21 years thing is federal Norwegian law.
No criminal can be sentenced to more than 21 years on a single sentence.

Norway also has no death penalty.

The best that can be hoped for a sentence extension after his first prison term is over.

Unless an upstanding private citizen takes matters into their own hands.

As to what I THINK should be done to him?
Fire a number of bullets equal to the number he used into semivital areas and let him bleed out on national television.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Norway wants to give him just 21 years in jail.
Crazy...but what if he gets the maximum per count to run consecutively? I don't know if that's permissible or not.

I wrote a story once, years ago, about a man who murdered for pleasure. When he died he was surprised to find himself still in existence. He was even more surprised to be judged and sentenced to live through the life and death of every victim, while their lives went on, the act itself undone to ever other understanding.

It would be a grand way to serve justice and will and a fitting fate for this fellow whose name I don't intend on learning.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That is not entirely accurate. Yes, he will get 21 years as that is the maximum penalty. But he will most likely be secured ("forvaring"), which in practice means that he can be locked up for the rest of his life. The link mentions this as well:

"Norwegian law does allow for a convict to spend more than 21 years locked up, as experts can keep him or her behind bars up for additional five-year stretches if the prisoner is deemed dangerous. "

But yes, 21 years is too low. Actions like this should result in a life sentence without having to renew that in 5 year stretches.

So all he has to do is be on his best behavior for a while and then he won't be deemed dangerous. He's back free and can plan his next attack.

Silent Hunter

Crazy...but what if he gets the maximum per count to run consecutively? I don't know if that's permissible or not.

I wrote a story once, years ago, about a man who murdered for pleasure. When he died he was surprised to find himself still in existence. He was even more surprised to be judged and sentenced to live through the life and death of every victim, while their lives went on, the act itself undone to ever other understanding.

It would be a grand way to serve justice and will and a fitting fate for this fellow whose name I don't intend on learning.
. . . the guy has a . . . name?

Selaphiel

So all he has to do is be on his best behavior for a while and then he won't be deemed dangerous. He's back free and can plan his next attack.

I do not know the judicial details about this system, but I doubt it is that simple.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame

toldailytopic: What should be done to the man responsible for the Oslo Norway murder spree?

:think: For setting off a huge bomb in one of Europes most peaceful and nice cities?

....and then going on a shooting spree against a bunch of defenseless kids trapped on a island?

I'm supposed to be a Christian so I'm not going to dwell on my darker impulses but you can be reasonably sure, whatever I would do, it would involve pit-bulls, barbed wire and a 55gallon drum of rubbing alcohol.

:plain:...and I'm dead serious.

MrRadish

They should attempt to find out why he felt compelled to do what he did. They should deal with him as compassionately as possible while still protecting other people. They should neither capitulate to the demands of him and his ilk, nor should they overcompensate by introducing draconian 'anti-terror' controls, as this will only fuel people's anger. They should use his case as a means to learn as much as possible about people with extremist viewpoints, and put peaceful steps into practice to prevent people from reaching the point where they want to do this sort of thing. They should devote as many resources as possible (after having dealt with the bereaved and injured, of course) to rehabilitating the man and to resolving the horrendous psychological issues that led to the act. Nothing they should do should be motivated by the desire for vengeance or the desire to inflict suffering on this person.

some other dude

I say he should have a revelation on the road to Damascus, be reborn in Christ and preach the Gospel to Muslims. Show the power of redemption and all that.

What would Jesus do?

MrRadish

I say he should have a revelation on the road to Damascus, be reborn in Christ and preach the Gospel to Muslims. Show the power of redemption and all that.

What would Jesus do?

But he's a Christian already. And I get the impression he's quite a big fan of the 'tough love'* that seems very popular among extreme-right fundamentalists. So I imagine he does plenty of 'preaching' (read: yelling abuse) to Muslims already...

*Just in case anyone takes offence, I'm not saying that any of the 'tough love' people around here support shooting sprees, by the way.